LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Screenshot_20190319-025600_Instagram.jpg

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Couture is -8 in the last 3 games. That’s impressive.

Yes, but one of those minuses is from last night where Couture was diving to save a breakaway with no defenseman around. Not to make any excuses for him though. He gets paid enough to man up to his own.

I am hoping that PDB is showing a different look to opponents than what they'll see in the playoffs. Again, not to make any excuses for him as he gets overpaid enough.

However, I doubt that is the case. PDB is just a mediocre NHL coach lucky to coach the Sharks... much like TMac. I do think PDB is about one step up from TMac, and blind squirrels get lucky too.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Reaves is a goon also. But he has 19 points this season. 11 short of haleys career totals lol.

I don't follow Reaves outside of when he plays us. But I feel like his approach towards goon-ery is to be pro-active. He agitates by being physical, overly so at times. He has some questionable hits from time to time as well. And like you pointed out, there is definitely skill to complement his physicality.

On the other hand, Haley's approach is reactive. He waits till his team-mates get destroyed and tries to goad people into fights. And when people refuse that fight it puts us on the PK. There is still room for physicality and agitation in the NHL today. What there is no room for is mindless fighting.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The Couture contract is looking pretty terrible right now.
In the game against Florida all 3 guys on the Couture line were -2, no other forwards were minus. In the Preds game Couture and Pavs were -3, Meier was -2, and Kane and Hertl were -1 because of the ENG by Arvidsson. No other forwards were minus. Last night, in a team-wide stinker, Couture and Meier were -3, Nyquist, who tooks Pavs' spot was -1, and Hertl and Kane were again -1 because of an ENG against. No other forwards were minus. It's actually even more amazing than I realized how awful the Couture line has been in the last 3 games. Excluding ENGs against, Couture -6, Meier -5, Pavs/Nyquist -5, no other forward during that time period is minus. Couture was on for 3 of 4 goals agasint vs. Florida, all 4 goals against vs. Nashville, but 1 for, and 5 goals against vs. Vegas, and 2 for. I know that +/- is a stupid stat, but when 1 line is that minus, and no one else is, that's a problem. Couture needs to get his shit together.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
In the game against Florida all 3 guys on the Couture line were -2, no other forwards were minus. In the Preds game Couture and Pavs were -3, Meier was -2, and Kane and Hertl were -1 because of the ENG by Arvidsson. No other forwards were minus. Last night, in a team-wide stinker, Couture and Meier were -3, Nyquist, who tooks Pavs' spot was -1, and Hertl and Kane were again -1 because of an ENG against. No other forwards were minus. It's actually even more amazing than I realized how awful the Couture line has been in the last 3 games. Excluding ENGs against, Couture -6, Meier -5, Pavs/Nyquist -5, no other forward during that time period is minus. Couture was on for 3 of 4 goals agasint vs. Florida, all 4 goals against vs. Nashville, but 1 for, and 5 goals against vs. Vegas, and 2 for. I know that +/- is a stupid stat, but when 1 line is that minus, and no one else is, that's a problem. Couture needs to get his **** together.

I have seen enough flashes from Couture this season that I know that he hasn't exactly fallen off a cliff. Seems to be more of an effort issue. He half-asses it most of the nights now. Maybe because he has his big contrat now?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I mean he did score two of our three goals last night. I get it he looks lazy out there and his defense is lacking lately, but I still don’t think he’s the biggest issue right now.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I have seen enough flashes from Couture this season that I know that he hasn't exactly fallen off a cliff. Seems to be more of an effort issue. He half-asses it most of the nights now. Maybe because he has his big contrat now?

Defensively, he's just not as good as he used to be. It's long overdue to move him to wing. He hasn't been winning draws in over five seasons. The problem comes down to the fact that they don't have a long term answer for 2C at this point and likely won't be looking for one either. They pretty much have to hope that there's an internal option somewhere. I think Meier has the talent for it but he needs to shore up his defensive abilities by a considerable degree and get better on the draw. The other thing is that his talents may be better used as a top line winger as well so there's that. Outside of that, we're pretty much hoping that someone like Suomela, Gambrell, Chmelevski, Dahlen, or someone else forces themselves into that spot and I just don't see it out of anyone right now or anytime soon.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I mean he did score two of our three goals last night. I get it he looks lazy out there and his defense is lacking lately, but I still don’t think he’s the biggest issue right now.

I don't think they have one particular big issue to address. They have numerous things wrong with them and a lot of little things adding up on the wrong side to give them the results they've been getting. Last night, that 4th line was utter trash mostly because of Haley. They caused two goals against that mattered and took two penalties. Not really adding the 3rd penalty by Goodrow and the subsequent PP goal in garbage time to that issue. Couture's emblematic of the issues but you can see it happening to Hertl, Burns, Dillon, Braun, and Pavelski. That's too many guys not playing well enough for a team to win. Hopefully some rest and practice will alleviate a lot of this but there's no alleviating that the coach consistently made things worse the more that he iced that trash 4th line. Melker Karlsson has been playing well and he's being wasted because Haley and to a lesser extent Goodrow have been playing like garbage.

If I had to rank their problems, I'd probably put Burns at the top of the list. He hasn't been the same since he got the flu and it's probably because I don't think they've had any time off since he got it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Better to have a 3 game losing skid now than in a month from now.

That said, they need to get their focus back. They didn't have it at all on this homestand.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Better to have a 3 game losing skid now than in a month from now.

That said, they need to get their focus back. They didn't have it at all on this homestand.

Agreed, teams go though mini slumps like this throughout the season. They need to get healthy and get a few practices under their belt. Jones just needs to get his shit together or piss off.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That quote from Reaves is right on. Haley's solution to everything is trying to fight. This is a different NHL.
If the refs do their job Reaves is the one that looks bad last night.

It's too bad Haley reacted, but it was due to the incompetence of the officiating. People need to keep that in mind.

Karlsson was hit a good full 2 seconds after he passed the puck, and right in the #'s. Haley was also interfered with by Reaves in front of the bench with no call, then they call a weak ass interference on Haley when he simply outmuscled the dman for the net. The team (and Haley) sucked, but the refs were an absolute gong show, once again.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
He outcoached Sutter, Laviolette and Hitchcock in 2016.

He does some questionable things with role players, but some of you are way too hyperbolic around here.
Yeah but Wilson should be able to get a Jack Adams award level coach, superstar 1C, Vezina level goalie (on a sweet heart deal), and also be a top 2 GM instead of a top 5. Also the team needs to have better draft picks in the first round in addition to 6th/7th round.

Basically Wilson should be perfect or no one will be happy here.

Reactions: slocal

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If the refs do their job Reaves is the one that looks bad last night.

It's too bad Haley reacted, but it was due to the incompetence of the officiating. People need to keep that in mind.

Karlsson was hit a good full 2 seconds after he passed the puck, and right in the #'s. Haley was also interfered with by Reaves in front of the bench with no call, then they call a weak ass interference on Haley when he simply outmuscled the dman for the net. The team (and Haley) sucked, but the refs were an absolute gong show, once again.

Karlsson turned away from the hit.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah but Wilson should be able to get a Jack Adams award level coach, superstar 1C, Vezina level goalie (on a sweet heart deal), and also be a top 2 GM instead of a top 5. Also the team needs to have better draft picks in the first round in addition to 6th/7th round.

Basically Wilson should be perfect or no one will be happy here.
Yeah, no shit lol

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Another tough loss for the team last night, not good especially vs. a likely 1st round opponent like Vegas. Hope we get it together soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad