GDT: Vegas @ Sharks 7:30PM

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My point is Haley or Radil. They lose that game.

If you’re really desperate to pin the game on one player then Braun should be your guy.

That's a non-falsifiable claim to make. You simply don't know how the game changes with that lineup change. Radil certainly doesn't take the penalty that allowed Vegas to take the lead so quickly after tying it up which happened quickly after taking the lead initially. Radil certainly doesn't take Haley's second penalty that killed momentum when they were responding to Vegas taking a 3-2 lead. Radil almost certainly doesn't spend 80-85% of his shifts in the defensive zone.

Let's not pretend like there weren't a lot of momentum swings in that first period and two of them were Haley doing something stupid setting the team back big time. Haley is a big reason why the team as a whole didn't respond appropriately to those swings.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Correct but is the entire loss on Haley’s shoulders? Which many here are implying.

if you believe in momentum then he had a huge play in the loss. sharks tie it up in the 1st, haley takes a stupid penalty knights take 2-1 lead. then he takes and even more stupid penalty later in that period.

RoloTonyBrownTown

Oct 31, 2018
Do you think the Sharks win last night if Radil plays instead of Haley?

If Haley doesn't take that dumbf*** interference penalty on Engelland, it's an entirely different game. You can never pin a loss on one player completely, but he played a massive role.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
My point is Haley or Radil. They lose that game.

If you’re really desperate to pin the game on one player then Braun should be your guy.

You have absolutely nothing to back this statement up as the fact you push it off as. They lost the game with Haley, that’s 100% true. It’s also obvious to anybody who watched the game that Haley’s presence had a significant impact on how the game went and that the game would have gone much differently if he wasn’t in. There’s no guarantee that the Sharks would have won, but I would put their odds at roughly 50% if Radil played over Haley.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
You have absolutely nothing to back this statement up as the fact you push it off as. They lost the game with Haley, that’s 100% true. It’s also obvious to anybody who watched the game that Haley’s presence had a significant impact on how the game went and that the game would have gone much differently if he wasn’t in. There’s no guarantee that the Sharks would have won, but I would put their odds at roughly 50% if Radil played over Haley.

So we’re in agreement, the loss is not squarely on Haley’s shoulders. Cool.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Looking at the ice time, deployment in this game was weird. That's something you can blame coaching on. I think Timo had something stupid low like 11-12 minutes.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I put the loss squarely on Deboer first and foremost. He 100% cost them the game with his terrible decision making before they even took the ice. Haley being in the line up at all was the first mistake. The amount of ice time he had was another huge mistake and the fact he wasn’t stapled to the bench after his first stupid penalty was another mistake. I don’t pretend to know how to coach a team but anyone with a hint of knowledge on the game can see that Haley doesnt belong in the league. It would be touch to support a coach that would play him in an ECHL lineup let alone a top quality NHL lineup

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I put the loss squarely on Deboer first and foremost. He 100% cost them the game with his terrible decision making before they even took the ice. Haley being in the line up at all was the first mistake. The amount of ice time he had was another huge mistake and the fact he wasn’t stapled to the bench after his first stupid penalty was another mistake. I don’t pretend to know how to coach a team but anyone with a hint of knowledge on the game can see that Haley doesnt belong in the league. It would be touch to support a coach that would play him in an ECHL lineup let alone a top quality NHL lineup

DeBoer certainly deserves his fair share of the blame here. I'm most concerned with their mental state as it relates to Vegas considering the high probability of facing them at some point. I don't think they're just in the players' heads. I believe they're in DeBoer's head too.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

It also strongly exposed PDB's typical bias and double-standard. Does anybody think Labanc or Donskoi would've gotten anything other than a benching for two idiotic penalties like that?

Reactions: Tw1ster

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Sharks go up 1-0. Have the momentum, until the 4th line gets hemmed in their own zone by the opposing 4th line. They clear the zone, make a change, and the Knights end up scoring after taking the momentum.

Haley then gives a ridiculous o-zone penalty. Knights take the lead.
Sharks tie it up with a bit of luck, and get momentum. Haley then gives away another dumb penalty - Knights get momentum and then score.

PDB post game mentions about the team needing to maintain composure and not take penalties... He is the only person, aside from Kurz, who thinks Haley should be in the line up.

Braun is a whole different story of suckage.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks go up 1-0. Have the momentum, until the 4th line gets hemmed in their own zone by the opposing 4th line. They clear the zone, make a change, and the Knights end up scoring after taking the momentum.

Haley then gives a ridiculous o-zone penalty. Knights take the lead.
Sharks tie it up with a bit of luck, and get momentum. Haley then gives away another dumb penalty - Knights get momentum and then score.

PDB post game mentions about the team needing to maintain composure and not take penalties... He is the only person, aside from Kurz, who thinks Haley should be in the line up.

Braun is a whole different story of suckage.

At least with Braun, it's generally understood that they don't have much of an option there at this point and that he can at least defend on most nights. That and I think the writing is on the wall with Braun that this is likely his last season in teal regardless. With Haley, we thought we had moved on and were better off for it until Florida did another thing to help Vegas by waiving him and making him available to the team. What I simply don't get is if that were the case why didn't they re-sign him in 2017? lol like was the sticking point really that 2nd year then? lol

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
It also strongly exposed PDB's typical bias and double-standard. Does anybody think Labanc or Donskoi would've gotten anything other than a benching for two idiotic penalties like that?
Ask Joe Thornton. Ask Brent Burns.

You analytics nerds just don't get what it's like to be a professional hockey player. They need someone like Haley to give it their all. Who else will protect 6'4 220 pound Joe Thornton? What about 6'5 230 pound Brent Burns? These guys need someone to defend them and Haley brings that.

Dont you people see?!

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

You analytics nerds just don't get what it's like to be a professional hockey player. They need someone like Haley to give it their all. Who else will protect 6'4 220 pound Joe Thornton? What about 6'5 230 pound Brent Burns? These guys need someone to defend them and Haley brings that.

Dont you people see?!
Aren’t players heights and weights analytics?

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

Dont you people see?!

Burns and Jumbo are gonna support Haley because he has the Death Star trained on Kashyyyk and will fire if he detects any dissent from them. It’s mostly for Burns but Jumbo is an honorary Wookiee.

Side note that’s such a bullshit answer from Pete. No way are those guys gonna throw a teammate under the bus no matter the fact that Haley is less useful than an extra bottle of Gatorade to the team.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I have friends who aren't great at their jobs. I would never trll that to their customers, though. Likely the same with.the Sharks and Haley

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I have friends who aren't great at their jobs. I would never trll that to their customers, though. Likely the same with.the Sharks and Haley

I agree.

When you talk about intangibles in a player like Toews, its kind of funny. Dude has a lot of skill to go with his intangibles. Haley brings 'energy' which is another intangible. Unfortunately the only thing he brings is that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad