GDT: Vegas @ Sharks 7:30PM

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
To me, Vegas is the better hockey team. Changing out Haley is not going to change that by much. They didn't even have Fleury, and we got lucky with Thornton's long range wrister. Won't happen in the playoffs.

Our chances of beating them in a 7-game series with a healthy Karlsson and Pavelski is probably something like 25%.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To me, Vegas is the better hockey team. Changing out Haley is not going to change that by much. They didn't even have Fleury, and we got lucky with Thornton's long range wrister. Won't happen in the playoffs.

Our chances of beating them in a 7-game series with a healthy Karlsson and Pavelski is probably something like 25%.

If the Sharks are healthy and playing their game, their odds of beating Vegas are drastically better than that.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

I think there is a difference between a team playing better hockey at a certain point of the season and being the better hockey team. Vegas waxed the sharks 7-0 game 1 last year in the playoffs and the sharks from that point on were the better team in the series. If not for Paul Martin I think the sharks maybe take it in 7.

Pavs and EK65 are absolutely vital to the PP being successful from zone entries to face offs. I don’t think we won one face off on the PP last game which was a killer because they couldn’t enter the zone afterwards. As PF said, if the sharks play their game and not this run and gun crap that Vegas plays I think they have a better than 50/50 shot of winning especially with home ice. Jones is truly the Xfactor.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
Sharks are better than Vegas. Knights are just hot right now. I'd caution about reading too much into one regular season game. Only way they beat us is if Fleury greatly out outplays Jones (which is a definite possibility)

Reactions: boylerroom

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

The Sharks have a much better hockey team than Vegas. Vegas isn’t even that good. They’re just in the head of the Sharks.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
The Sharks have a much better hockey team than Vegas. Vegas isn’t even that good. They’re just in the head of the Sharks.

They’re pretty damn good lol. I don’t know if it’s a system thing or chemistry but their passing is almost globetrotter like sometimes.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Not worried about Vegas as long as we are fully healthy. Outside of Jones being a sieve but that applies to any team not just them.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Sharks cannot play fire wagon hockey with Las Vegas. They have to clog the neutral zone and they need to be more conservative with pinches.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks cannot play fire wagon hockey with Las Vegas. They have to clog the neutral zone and they need to be more conservative with pinches.

Yup. If they get out there and play like they did on Monday, they’re f***ed. If they play their game, they can beat Vegas as long as Jones is mediocre or better. They have a better team.

There are some examples of teams winning a playoff series against teams that were in their heads and had their numbers. Washington against Pittsburgh last year, us against LA in 2016, and Vancouver against Chicago in 2011 come to mind. But I don’t know if any of those teams got flat out embarrassed and clowned like we did with DeBoer and Haley on Monday. That was very concerning.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sharks let the dman skate the puck through the first part of the neutral zone all night. They can't allow this on the 30th. Since they didn't pressure, Vegas would just make a small pass prior to entering the offensive zone catching the Sharks on their heels and led to easy zone entries. Sharks can't just clog up the blue line, they need to pressure the carrier and force dumps.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
i dont know what you're watching lol. Vegas is a great team.they plays some hard hockey. great coaching and great chemistry.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
i dont know what you're watching lol. Vegas is a great team.they plays some hard hockey. great coaching and great chemistry.

They have 87 points in 73 games. They have one elite player in Mark Stone and outside of Fleury who hasn’t actually been great this season, nobody else on their roster comes close. Now that William Karlsson isn’t riding a 105 PDO, they simply aren’t as good as they were last year.

They’re 17-6-2 against a weak Pacific Division and 24-21-3 against the rest of the NHL and even if they win every single game for the rest of the season, they’ll finish with 4 fewer points than they did last year. They’re still a good team with the ability to make a run but they’re not an elite, terrifying team that are steamrolling the league like they did last year. It only feels that way because they steamrolled the Sharks in 2 of the 3 meetings this season.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

This made me laugh. I'd take a healthy sharks team on paper every time

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
They have 87 points in 73 games. They have one elite player in Mark Stone and outside of Fleury who hasn’t actually been great this season, nobody else on their roster comes close. Now that William Karlsson isn’t riding a 105 PDO, they simply aren’t as good as they were last year.

They’re 17-6-2 against a weak Pacific Division and 24-21-3 against the rest of the NHL and even if they win every single game for the rest of the season, they’ll finish with 4 fewer points than they did last year. They’re still a good team with the ability to make a run but they’re not an elite, terrifying team that are steamrolling the league like they did last year. It only feels that way because they steamrolled the Sharks in 2 of the 3 meetings this season.

thats why i highlight their coaching and chemistry. their depth is really good too. all 4 lines can skate and make plays. Vegas would give any team fits in a 7 game series. they play hard and fast.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
thats why i highlight their coaching and chemistry. their depth is really good too. all 4 lines can skate and make plays. Vegas would give any team fits in a 7 game series. they play hard and fast.

Sure, they will give any team fits in a 7 game series. But eventually, they’re going to give fits to a team that is playing disciplined, structured hockey with their star players firing on all cylinders and they’re still going to lose because their top players will simply be overwhelmed. If this sounds at all familiar, it’s because it’s exactly what happened last year against Washington. The Sharks can and will be the team to beat them if they play the structured, disciplined hockey that they have played for stretches this season.

This made me laugh. I'd take a healthy sharks team on paper every time

For reference, Vegas has one player with more points than Kevin LaBanc.

Burns and Karlsson are better than any skater on Vegas and Hertl, Pavelski, and Meier are better than any skater on Vegas beside Mark Stone. The Sharks have a much better roster.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
For reference, Vegas has one player with more points than Kevin LaBanc.

Burns and Karlsson are better than any skater on Vegas and Hertl, Pavelski, and Meier are better than any skater on Vegas beside Mark Stone. The Sharks have a much better roster.

Their 6th guy in points is Cody Eakin at 37 points, which is worse than 9 Sharks players. Damn...

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Fleury has been great this year. Leads the league with 8 shutouts and will probably be a vezina finalist along with Vasilevskiy and Bishop. I want to avoid him in the playoffs for sure

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Fleury has been great this year. Leads the league with 8 shutouts and will probably be a vezina finalist along with Vasilevskiy and Bishop. I want to avoid him in the playoffs for sure

Half of those shutouts came against Anaheim, LA, and Vancouver. His SV% is down from .927 to .914.

He’s not playing as well as he did last year but he’s getting a heavier workload so it’s very possible he won’t be such a beast in the playoffs.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Reason for hope: To me, Hertl is the key against Vegas. If he owns the boards and cuts to the middle, rather than pass up to the point, he will be the difference in this series. If Kane and Meier do the same, then the Sharks have a fighting chance. Vegas will cheat up high on Burns and Karlsson looking for the turnover and the power forwards will be able to go to work. Chance wise--the game was pretty even overall.

Also, the third line hemmed Vegas in their own zone for most of the game.

Vegas' PP, despite the two goals, is nothing special.

The D plays a conservative game.

Reason to think 08-09 is repeating itself all over again: Fleury outplays Jones despite the Sharks dominating the series. Vegas' 4th line becomes a difference maker.

Sharks funnel pucks to the point and Vegas runs and guns.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Vegas is peaking at the right time. They've been on a tear since they've added Stone. Their offense has woken up and Fleury's playing well. Remember when LA was struggling to make the playoffs then added Carter and won it all. It doesn't matter what they did earlier if they're hot and peaking right now. Not saying they'll win the cup but they can certainly beat the Sharks especially if Deboer refuses to swallow his pride and continue to try to beat Vegas at their own game.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Vegas is peaking at the right time. They've been on a tear since they've added Stone. Their offense has woken up and Fleury's playing well. Remember when LA was struggling to make the playoffs then added Carter and won it all. It doesn't matter what they did earlier if they're hot and peaking right now. Not saying they'll win the cup but they can certainly beat the Sharks especially if Deboer refuses to swallow his pride and continue to try to beat Vegas at their own game.

Los Angeles had Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty. Vegas doesn't have anybody of that caliber at the center or defense position.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Los Angeles had Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty. Vegas doesn't have anybody of that caliber at the center or defense position.

While yes that is true, Vegas also has our number and is in the head of our pants on head Pejorative Slured head coach. Doesn't help that our goalie loves dodging pucks more than he does stopping them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad