Vegas Cinderella story is over

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Step aside William Karlsson, it's Cody Eakin's turn!

Eakes has 11 goals on 25% Shooting.

cody-eakin-2019-7776.jpg

Buffalo Bill.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
3 point night for Engelland. The story is far from over.

I'm really liking what I see from Tuch. The guy is on the score sheet every night it seems.
Vs. CGY: 1 goal 1 assist
Vs. SJS: 1 goal 1 assist
Vs. CHI: 1 goal 1 assist.

He's been Vegas' most consistently good player.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think Minnesota is regretting letting him go in expansion but it sucks for a lot of teams.
Florida still hurts the worse.

Anaheim probably isn't happy with how their end has gone as well. Montour has largely stagnated under Carlyle while Theodore has been gradually getting better.

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Florida still hurts the worse.

Anaheim probably isn't happy with how their end has gone as well. Montour has largely stagnated under Carlyle while Theodore has been gradually getting better.

It wasn't Montour that would have been exposed, it was Manson. Theodore will have to improve a ton for us to still end up on the wrong end of that deal. Especially since we needed the cap space from Stoner to sign other players.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It wasn't Montour that would have been exposed, it was Manson. Theodore will have to improve a ton for us to still end up on the wrong end of that deal. Especially since we needed the cap space from Stoner to sign other players.
That's not the point. It was between Montour and Theodore for Anaheim trade fodder and Anaheim took the chance on the younger guy.

And my point wasn't a question of winning or losing. It is unlikely Theodore would ever become so good or so much better than Montour that it would make up for having both Montour and the extra cap space. It still sucks to have been backed into a corner to have to give him up. Anaheim could have gotten more tangible assets than just cap space for Shea if not for the expansion draft...and if not for the idiot Bieksa contract.

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
That's not the point. It was between Montour and Theodore for Anaheim trade fodder and Anaheim took the chance on the younger guy.

It wasn't the ducks who made the choice it was Vegas. No matter which of the 2 was taken the ducks came out better for it.

Also Montour is older, he was a late bloomer.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not quite the same situation and they're doing better at the moment but Vegas reminds me of the 2003-04 Calgary Flames.

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect what happened here is participating in an expansion draft picking from 30 teams is a massive job too big for one person so a lot of the work would have been delegated to a talented staff. Then that got followed up by a very good coach who could take this large collection of players and make the most out of them. But now that things have normalized, it's back to regular control and decisions on roster personnel has shrunk from a collaborative effort back into the singular hands of the dinosaur/old boys club GM who once traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat, and things aren't quite as special anymore.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Not quite the same situation and they're doing better at the moment but Vegas reminds me of the 2003-04 Calgary Flames.

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect what happened here is participating in an expansion draft picking from 30 teams is a massive job too big for one person so a lot of the work would have been delegated to a talented staff. Then that got followed up by a very good coach who could take this large collection of players and make the most out of them. But now that things have normalized, it's back to regular control and decisions on roster personnel has shrunk from a collaborative effort back into the singular hands of the dinosaur/old boys club GM who once traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat, and things aren't quite as special anymore.
The Filip Forsberg trade is over simplified, with excessive emphasis on McPhee's weakness of pro scouting and trade deadline moves and little recognition of his good ability to manage futures and haul in prospects.

The road Washington took to even getting Forsberg showed adept management in obtaining futures for expiring players. Forsberg will not only be linked with Varlamov, but Brenden Witt. Witt fetched for a 1st rounder which became Varlamov. Then Varlamov showcased himself well enough so that Colorado paid big for him, and that pick became Forsberg.

McPhee's weakness has always been pro scouting and especially trades at the deadline; things that help his team get over the top. But he knows how to lay the foundation for winning. However, on paper, the move seemed okay since Erat used to be a consistent 60 point winger. McPhee may have made the deal because the seat was getting warm; even if he left Forsberg in Washington, ownership was gonna kick him out regardless and he wouldn't see the Cup. So, he took a gamble for a "ready" forward that could put them through "now", and it just didn't work.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly Vegas' marquee players didn't really seem like that huge of an outlier outside of the obvious;

Karlsson: 17/18; 43 G, 35 A
Karlsson now: 7 G, 12 A

Obviously a very steep drop but let's be real, the guy was shooting at an almost 25% clip, of course he's gonna drop. Still, 19 points through 26 games isn't bad at all. Right around top line production

Marchessault 17/18: 27 G, 48 A
Marchessault now: 10 g, 10 A

Pretty much around the same pace he was at last year. Give or take a point

Smith 17/18: 22 G, 38 A
Smith now: 4 G, 11 A

15 points over his first 25 games puts him at about...45 or so points which is right around his career totals. Could easily get back to his production last year since he's a playmaker.

Perron cracked 60 points but has proven he can do that if given consistent top 6 time (which outside of his brief stay in Edmonton was the first time in a while he was afforded such) and the other guys produced around career norms (Neal, Eakin) and their other guys simply benefitted from more ice time (Tuch, Haula, Colin Miller, Schmidt)

To further that, any lost production from guys dropping like Karlsson and Smith is being mitigated by guys like Tuch continuing to develop

If the Cinderella story ends it's not because of their offense, but rather their defense was being exposed for what it is; largely a collection of junk outside of Theodore and Schmidt (and Miller to an extent)

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
The Filip Forsberg trade is over simplified, with excessive emphasis on McPhee's weakness of pro scouting and trade deadline moves and little recognition of his good ability to manage futures and haul in prospects.

The road Washington took to even getting Forsberg showed adept management in obtaining futures for expiring players. Forsberg will not only be linked with Varlamov, but Brenden Witt. Witt fetched for a 1st rounder which became Varlamov. Then Varlamov showcased himself well enough so that Colorado paid big for him, and that pick became Forsberg.

McPhee's weakness has always been pro scouting and especially trades at the deadline; things that help his team get over the top. But he knows how to lay the foundation for winning. However, on paper, the move seemed okay since Erat used to be a consistent 60 point winger. McPhee may have made the deal because the seat was getting warm; even if he left Forsberg in Washington, ownership was gonna kick him out regardless and he wouldn't see the Cup. So, he took a gamble for a "ready" forward that could put them through "now", and it just didn't work.
So glad McPhee made that deal. He needed to go and Ted seemed content with him forever. I've argued before he was a terrible gmgm and other caps fans brought up some decent moves he made but in the end he never had the stones to make the big deals that you need until he jumped at the wrong one.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Well they obviously looked good last night against the Hawks. They look big, fast, and their play as a team in all 3 zones is good enough for them to be a playoff threat. I think they need an elite player or two to do any damage but last season wasn't a fluke

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
6 wins and 1 loss since Schmidt returned November 18th. 5 wins in a row and in a playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad