Vegas Cinderella story is over

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by ViD, Nov 19, 2018.

1. triggrman

triggrman Registered User

Home Page:
    Neal would have given us another scoring winger to go along with Forsberg Fiala Arvidsson and Smith for the playoffs

2. Blitzkrug

Blitzkrug Bae over Bay

Student
    And how many goals would he prevent Rinne from giving up? None. It doesn't matter

3. stator

stator Registered User

None of the Karlssons are doing much right now... Erik, William, and Melker. Are there anymore Karlssons in the NHL?

4. Blitzkrug

Blitzkrug Bae over Bay

Student
    Melker was never all that good to begin with, William has 17 points in 22 games. While not as hot as his start last year he certainly is still contributing.

Erik on the other hand is more concerning...Questions should be raised if the EK65 of old is gone for good after the foot injury.

5. Djp

Djp Registered User

No to extra picks....why...they were given better expansion draft protection rules which allowed them to get better overall p,Ayers in the draft.

As part of the ED they could have taken picks and prospects and build a strong prospect pool.

They took to many players with just 1-2 yrs before UFA status and didn’t develop a farm to build from. I would have only taken a UFA to be if I got a 1st/2nd or young good prospect.

They lost Perton and Neal. I would have traded one of them at the deadline for futures. They traded 1, 2: 3 fir Tatar then trades him and a former 1st for MaxPac...an expansion team shouldn’t have done this.

My preference in designing a expansion team development...

Say Seattle and vegas were to start in 2020...

1. teams get picks between lottery and playoff teams in 2018 and 2019 drafts to build a prospect pool fir when they start in 2020
    2 in 2020 draft they’d pick 4-5
    3 in expansion draft the teams would pick a player from each 18 would be nhl players who have to clear waivers. 6 would have waiver exemptions the first year, 6 would be unsigned or starting ELC in 2020
    Alternate ED approach...sea and vegas take 1 nhl player from 30 teams for 15 each who are past ELC. Then they each get a player from each team who were still on ELC in 2020-21 or an unsigned prospect. Ideally they would have 15 nhl players, 6 starting bridges, 6 in last year of ELC, 6 with 2 years ELC left, 6 with 3 yrs of ELC, and 6 unsigned CHL/college/ Europe who aren’t expected to start until 2021-22 season.

6. BattleBorn

BattleBorn Tuched In.

You realize they took the players that were coming up on UFA so they could flip them near the deadline to get prospects and picks, right? They were never in the position to trade them away so they kept them around. They didn't lose them, they just rented them from themselves.

Tatar trade didn't work out and Pacioretty is just now coming up to snuff. However, even after all those trades and potential overpayments, the Knights still have all their picks minus one over the next three drafts, plus a few extras.

So they set themselves up for the future with picks, realized the window might be open, added a player for too much, then traded that player away for even more including a first round prospect, and are still in a good position for the future.

They did fine with the draft, if Seattle can figure out how to do half as well they'll be a pretty solid team.

klabob likes this.
  7. nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan Registered User

Youre right, I'm sure Florida didn't want to lose Marchessault, they should have just let Vegas pick #6D6D Petrovic instead. Not Vegas fault that Florida were idiots and really wanted to be rid of Smith (who also ended up close to PPG)

Youre right the islanders probably wanted to keep their 1st. Maybe they shouldn't have tried to rid themselves of Grabovskis contract as well as trying to protect a #6D in Hickey.

Same with Columbus paying to keep their backup goalie whos done poorly since.

This was a freak year of GMs making ridiculous decisions and Vegas players habing career freak years. Look at polls done at the beginning of last season. 95% of this board had Vegas as a bottom 5 team.

Also the other teams WERE compensated in the form of 10s of millions of dollars.

8. triggrman

triggrman Registered User

Home Page:
    That's true. FN Rinne.....

9. Djp

Djp Registered User

I understand taking some p,Ayers who were going to be UFAs in a year to take them then trade them at the deadline. From what they took it seemed to be heavy in this area.

How many draft picks did they acquire ? How many waiver exempt ELCs did they acquire..not all that much.

Right now in their system they have just 2 first round team drafted prospects.

Not all the players they drafted were bad. They picked some 23-25 yr olds who were young.

There was no reason to trade for Tatar.

10. BattleBorn

BattleBorn Tuched In.

They got enough draft picks to select four times in the top 34 in the 2017 entry draft, three times in the top 15. The 34th pick was the OHL defenseman of the year last season and would almost definitely get drafted in the 1st in a redraft.

They traded for Tatar, which was unnecessary, then packaged him up with picks and one of the first round centers (we still have 17 or so signed which is the same as Tampa and four more than STL) to get Pacioretty and still have more picks over the next three years than a normal team, including 12 in the first three rounds.

They got waiver exempt players like Shea Theodore and Alex Tuch and got to add RFA Nate Schmidt in the meantime. We were always going to have a doughnut hole in our team and prospect pipeline for players in the early 20s since they were exempt from the expansion draft unless they played enough games in the league. Getting the ELCs and waiver exempt guys we got took some work just due to teams wanting to protect their prospects when they wrote the expansion draft rules.

The fact of the matter is that very little of this had anything to do with the expansion rules and had almost everything to do with George McPhee and Kelly McCrimmon making some shrewd moves to control the player market and side deals prior to the expansion draft. Taking "dead weight" off teams rosters in exchange for picks and players worked out well. The other GMs overthought everything and got taken advantage of. We'd likely have still gotten Fleury, but almost every other decent (at the time) player we got was the result of McPhee making teams deal with him to protect themselves from the expansion draft and other GMs agreeing instead of working something out among themselves and excluding McPhee.

We've still got a few years to wait and see, but I predict Seattle winds up being that fringe/bubble playoff team the most optimistic people thought Vegas would be after the expansion draft.

ChanceVegas and klabob like this.
  11. Kovaz

Kovaz Registered User

It really just comes down to Karlsson's PDO normalizing. Last year he rode a 105 PDO to a +37 goal differential at even strength. This year he's sitting on a 97 PDO and -2 goal differential at even strength. The shots for and against, scoring chances, and expected goals are all roughly the same, sitting at a solid 53-54% mark. The difference is last year he had 10.5% of on-ice shots go in while getting a 94.5% save percentage behind him; this year 7% of their shots are going in and they're getting a 90% save percentage behind them.

If they get back to about 100 PDO they could still sneak in in a weak pacific division, but predicting which way it's going to go is a fool's errand.

12. SirClintonPortis

SirClintonPortis ProudCapitalsTraitor

How about condemning them AFTER Schmidt and Stastny are in the lineup for them?

13. DLOs monstruous neck

DLOs monstruous neck Formerly Son Oncle Jerry

Next step is the seats getting empty. I wonder if the guy managing their twitter account is still being arrogant now. Don't feel bad for them at all.

klabob likes this.
  14. Gnashville

Gnashville HFBoards Hall of Famer

He could have blocked one of those shots or even scored the goals that turned the series. Vegas with Neal had no trouble with Winnipeg in the WCF.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  15. voyageur

voyageur All's I got is 2 Fives

I would occupy Sweden if given a choice
    Yep. Lots of season left. I think they get in, either as 3 in the Pacific or WC2. Gallant is a good coach.

GirardSpinorama likes this.
  16. voyageur

voyageur All's I got is 2 Fives

I would occupy Sweden if given a choice
    They had trouble. Fleury, however, outperformed his counterpart. They just scored timely goals on defensive breakdowns.

DominikBokkFan likes this.
  17. Zalos

Zalos Berktwad

As I said... you jinxed yourself. Vegas going back up.

Lucbourdon and GirardSpinorama like this.
  18. kingsfan28

kingsfan28 Its A Kingspiracy !

graphic designer
    You can only play so long with a chip on your shoulder. These guys all came into camp this year with a different mindset and didn't have to fight for jobs.

19. Ultima

Ultima Retired again.

4-1-0 in their last 5 games. 4 game winning streak.

[​IMG]

td_ice and BonMorrison like this.
  20. GKG18

GKG18 Expansion Fan

Broadcast TV
    Currently 3rd in the Pacific. I still feel their best hockey is ahead.

21. No More Subban

No More Subban Registered User

They're baaacckk.

22. PopaneNightscare

PopaneNightscare Registered User

Step aside William Karlsson, it's Cody Eakin's turn!

Eakes has 11 goals on 25% Shooting.

[​IMG]

ChanceVegas likes this.
  23. HanSolo

HanSolo Vegas Strong

Having four straight games of good hockey will certainly help in that regard but having Schmidt nearly back to full form, Tuch transitioning into the star player he showed shades of last year, and Eakin being a tremendous presence on the second line is helping now.

24. hangman005

hangman005 Have I Mentioned I miss Leipsic?

Supreme Overlord
    I just hope we haven't reverse jinxed this reverse jinx thread, unless this post reverses the reverse jinx in this reverse jinx thread.

25. Seven0two

Seven0two Registered User

Couldn't have said it better myself.