Friedman: Vegas as Karlsson's biggest suitor?

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
Shouldnt be anything less then

Theodore Glass Tuch 1st 2019 for a signed Karlsson

That is definitely the value for a player of Karlsson’s caliber, but not if Ryan is in the deal. My guess is that VGK won’t want to part with Tuch AND Theodore but would consider one or the other. It’s for this reason that I wonder if Vegas would actually prefer to keep Ryan in the deal so that they can get a bargain, especially since they have the cap space to take both contracts and still be comfortably under the cap.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
To Vegas: Karlsson (D) (Signed)
To Ottawa: Glass (F), Theodore(D), Tuch(F)

Make it happen.

Wasn't Glass what got turned down at the deadline? Much less more. I can't see Vegas pivoting on that now. I see the guarantee of a signing in there and I imagine that would change the value but even Vegas is going to need some cheap ELCs.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Wasn't Glass what got turned down at the deadline? Much less more. I can't see Vegas pivoting on that now. I see the guarantee of a signing in there and I imagine that would change the value but even Vegas is going to need some cheap ELCs.
Yeah, I really don't see Vegas trading both Glass and Theodore for Karlsson, even if the value is fair.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
At this point I'm just so tired of this storyline. I'm a sens fan who keeps up on all the latest news and info and I still don't even know why we've been talking about dealing Karlsson for the last few months. It makes no sense.

Won't matter what the return is our where it comes from. It'll never be enough, and the modern day Bobby Orr will be gone for good.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
No you Jack wagon I'm saying when Vegas came into the league they said they would build on draft picks now if they happen to get all these players good for them but like c'mon wouldn't you be annoyed as well in someway

So this is your well thought out mature rational response to what I said...to call me names? Pretty much what I expected...So what...they were going to build through the draft...things change. So now they should be vilified, and thrown out of the league for changing their minds and going after free agents of consequence. If your favorite team was Vegas would you still feel this way? For that matter whoever your favorite teams is would you be upset if they were in that position? Being able to go after the high caliber FA's now. I guess there must a some unwritten rule in the "Code" that says the teams have to be in the league for a certain amount of time before they are allowed to act like the other 30 teams...I guess it's a probationary period or something. Maybe it's paying your dues who knows...not me.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
So this is your well thought out mature rational response to what I said...to call me names? Pretty much what I expected...So what...they were going to build through the draft...things change. So now they should be vilified, and thrown out of the league for changing their minds and going after free agents of consequence. If your favorite team was Vegas would you still feel this way? For that matter whoever your favorite teams is would you be upset if they were in that position? Being able to go after the high caliber FA's now. I guess there must a some unwritten rule in the "Code" that says the teams have to be in the league for a certain amount of time before they are allowed to act like the other 30 teams...I guess it's a probationary period or something. Maybe it's paying your dues who knows...not me.
If I was Vegas fan and heard that management was going to rebuild after the season we had I would be okay with it because what if they get these players and it turns out to be a bust? Then they don't resign

Reactions: BurnabyJayce

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
It seems like every day there is a new biggest suitor for karlsson

Either the market for him is really fluctuating that much or none of these reporters actually know what's going on in regards to karlsson

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
If EK will agree to an extension, then I see Vegas possibly making a deal. They don't have much depth in the farm system yet so they won't throw it away on a rental no matter who it is. I also highly doubt EK returns to Ottawa so they can hold on to an asset that is one foot out of the door if they want to ask for too much. I'd do Glass, Theodore, and a 1st and 2 2nds for an extended EK. I'd think that Tuch is going to be a deal breaker in the deal.

Or VGK waits a year. I haven't looked at teams that I consider to be possible ideal UFA destinations for EK and who could afford to pay him 12 mil or more a season in 2019 and would need him. I think that list is certainly smaller than the list of teams that want a 1C like JT. The leafs could use him, but can't afford him. The avs could use him, but they aren't a market that gives out big checks. Boston, Tampa, Nashville, and Winnipeg can't afford him or need him. Vegas seems like one of the better fits for him. Maybe the devils can do it? I haven't seen their numbers, but would guess they could afford him and would want him. Any other teams that need and can and is willing to pay him in 2019?

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Vegas can take Ryan with Karlsson and give up minimal, flip EK for a big return, then bury Ryan and eat his salary. That's how you set your team up long term

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Vegas can take Ryan with Karlsson and give up minimal, flip EK for a big return, then bury Ryan and eat his salary. That's how you set your team up long term

Except no team is going to give away Karlsson for minimal to nothing. Hell, if Karlsson and other players leave, Ryan might be needed to make the cap floor. Gambling on a cheap unpredictable owner, who already is being pressured to sell because of multiple incidences of negative PR....

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
If EK will agree to an extension, then I see Vegas possibly making a deal. They don't have much depth in the farm system yet so they won't throw it away on a rental no matter who it is. I also highly doubt EK returns to Ottawa so they can hold on to an asset that is one foot out of the door if they want to ask for too much. I'd do Glass, Theodore, and a 1st and 2 2nds for an extended EK. I'd think that Tuch is going to be a deal breaker in the deal.

Or VGK waits a year. I haven't looked at teams that I consider to be possible ideal UFA destinations for EK and who could afford to pay him 12 mil or more a season in 2019 and would need him. I think that list is certainly smaller than the list of teams that want a 1C like JT. The leafs could use him, but can't afford him. The avs could use him, but they aren't a market that gives out big checks. Boston, Tampa, Nashville, and Winnipeg can't afford him or need him. Vegas seems like one of the better fits for him. Maybe the devils can do it? I haven't seen their numbers, but would guess they could afford him and would want him. Any other teams that need and can and is willing to pay him in 2019?
That is a totally fine deal. Glass+Theo+1st+(2)2nds.
I like it. Deal done.

Reactions: SensFactor

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's a funny way to say a top 3 defenseman in the game.
There's no guaranteeing Karlsson will jive well enough in Vegas to make it worth scorching assets like Tuch and Glass away. Tuch has first line upside and Glass is the surest bet to be a top 6 forward in Vegas' pipeline.

If Karlsson comes to Vegas and the fresh start only translates into him being a 50 point, so-so defensively kind of guy (I'm not saying that's his talent cap, I'm saying there's risk of fall off after all he's been through) then Vegas would probably be better off keeping Theodore, Tuch, and Glass. I'm sure together those three could post 60-70 points a year quite easily.

Reactions: amethyst

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
There's no guaranteeing Karlsson will jive well enough in Vegas to make it worth scorching assets like Tuch and Glass away. Tuch has first line upside and Glass is the surest bet to be a top 6 forward in Vegas' pipeline.

If Karlsson comes to Vegas and the fresh start only translates into him being a 50 point, so-so defensively kind of guy (I'm not saying that's his talent cap, I'm saying there's risk of fall off after all he's been through) then Vegas would probably be better off keeping Theodore, Tuch, and Glass. I'm sure together those three could post 60-70 points a year quite easily.

He brings 'it' though or whatever you call it, the X factor equates more to me than the sum of the points of the players he was traded for. You know, everyone's seen him, it's not just about the points, it's about the threat every time he's on the ice and how quickly he can burn you.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He brings 'it' though or whatever you call it, the X factor equates more to me than the sum of the points of the players he was traded for. You know, everyone's seen him, it's not just about the points, it's about the threat every time he's on the ice and how quickly he can burn you.
I understand that. But try to understand that Vegas has the shallowest prospect pool in the league and already burned one first rounder this year and would have to burn next year's in a hypothetical trade. We make the proposed trade and this team gets to watch Neal, Perron, Theodore, Tuch, Glass, and their first rounder leave the team and the only new guy coming in is Erik Karlsson. I get he's a superstar, but we're already going to get thinner up front without Neal and Perron. We make this trade and our team going forward, at forward, looks like this

Marchesseault-(?) Karlsson-Smith
Tatar-Haula-??? (Tuch being here would go a long way)
Nosek-Eakin (can't use Glass here anymore)-Tomas Hyka (rookie)
Carrier-Bellemare-Carpenter

They have to basically bank on Nick Suzuki being able to fit either a wing or center role as needed at all times to offset the loss of Glass going forward and they wouldn't be able to advance the pipeline with no first or second round pick next year.

I understand Karlsson is a superstar and they cost a premium. But that (Tuch and Glass having to be included) premium could cripple this team for a long time.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I understand that. But try to understand that Vegas has the shallowest prospect pool in the league and already burned one first rounder this year and would have to burn next year's in a hypothetical trade. We make the proposed trade and this team gets to watch Neal, Perron, Theodore, Tuch, Glass, and their first rounder leave the team and the only new guy coming in is Erik Karlsson. I get he's a superstar, but we're already going to get thinner up front without Neal and Perron. We make this trade and our team going forward, at forward, looks like this

Marchesseault-(?) Karlsson-Smith
Tatar-Haula-??? (Tuch being here would go a long way)
Nosek-Eakin (can't use Glass here anymore)-Tomas Hyka (rookie)
Carrier-Bellemare-Carpenter

They have to basically bank on Nick Suzuki being able to fit either a wing or center role as needed at all times to offset the loss of Glass going forward and they wouldn't be able to advance the pipeline with no first or second round pick next year.

I understand Karlsson is a superstar and they cost a premium. But that (Tuch and Glass having to be included) premium could cripple this team for a long time.

Not a fan of including Tuch in the deal but we do have the option of bringing over Gusev on the wing this year or next year.

And I do have more confidence than others it seems in Suzuki being a good player in the future.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Karlsson is a top 3 defenseman in the game. Yes - he wants out of Ottawa and won't be there when his contract is over. The question is - how much does this bring down his value?

Reactions: amethyst

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3