Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin Pt. IIII

When will Podz join the Canucks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Crap this kid is a special player. I’m so glad Bracket insisted we take him at ten, and didn’t let benning/Brod do something stupid.
Thank you Judd for another excellent pick.
Brackett is on record in a post-draft interview saying that the entire front office and scouting staff was unanimous about taking Podkolzin.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I believe this is correct but Brackett was opposed to Hoglander. Which led to the teams split

source?

EDIT: yeah.. here's a quote from Bracket moments after they picked him:

"Then-director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett was visibly giddy when discussing the winger after the pick, telling beat reporter Patrick Johnston the kid was “lightning quick,” and that his playmaking skills were second to none.
“The hands are as good as anyone in the draft, if not the best,” he said."

y u make stuff up?

Reactions: Grantham

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
source?

EDIT: yeah.. here's a quote from Bracket moments after they picked him:

"Then-director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett was visibly giddy when discussing the winger after the pick, telling beat reporter Patrick Johnston the kid was “lightning quick,” and that his playmaking skills were second to none.
“The hands are as good as anyone in the draft, if not the best,” he said."

y u make stuff up?

There is a lot of truth to what DonnyNucker is saying. It was reported on tsn radio, I believe it was JD Burke, Benning changed the 2nd day draft list and didn't went with the original list. Mainly because Benning wanted to draft Hoglander. Not sure if you can still find tsn radio stuff online. You can go on the management board, people will confirm that is true.

FyI, if you opposed on a player. You can still say good things about a player. It's similar to people saying Benning wanted Glass over Petey. Benning still said good things about Petey. Brackett is not going to say he didn't like the pick.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
From what I've seen..everybody was onboard with the Hog pick..Benning said he was steal.
Benning was thrilled to get him.
“I love this guy,” said Benning. “He’s hard on the puck, he’s got good skill, he’s fast. I think we got a steal there in the second round.”
“Hoglander is arguably one of the guys with the best hands in the draft,” said Brackett. “He has creativity, determination, he’s really quick. Maybe he gives up a little bit in size but he plays the right way… he’s good in the right areas, he’s quick where he needs to be, good balance, strength, creative mind and high offensive potential.”

Unanimous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
There is a lot of truth to what DonnyNucker is saying. It was reported on tsn radio, I believe it was JD Burke, Benning changed the 2nd day draft list and didn't went with the original list. Mainly because Benning wanted to draft Hoglander. Not sure if you can still find tsn radio stuff online. You can go on the management board, people will confirm that is true.

FyI, if you opposed on a player. You can still say good things about a player. It's similar to people saying Benning wanted Glass over Petey. Benning still said good things about Petey. Brackett is not going to say he didn't like the pick.
Yes it is still available, so you better go find it but we know you wont because all the facts, statements, and reality say OTHERWISE bub :shakehead

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Pod was unanimous at #10. Rumour was that Brackett wanted to trade down for an extra 2nd and grab Newhook instead. Someone posted on here that the scouts also really liked a whl dman in the 2nd round slot so presumably Korczak but I never saw that Benning overruled the pick. I tried at the time but couldn't find any other decent rumours on that draft, if anyone has better info I'm all ears.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

JD Burke has become increasingly untrustworthy as a source for a while now. Would take anything he tweets or writes with a massive grain of salt.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Inside the beginning of the Canucks' big Nils Hoglander bet

"Ultimately it was Benning himself who pushed in amateur meetings after Day 1 of the draft to move Hoglander up the draft list prior to Day 2. His argument was that the organization was too high on Hoglander’s game, character and ceiling to have him below a player based on position need.
Hoglander was moved ahead of the higher-rated defenceman. He was the player they were hoping would be available at 40th overall."

I still hate Jim, but good on him for this one.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
all the brackett vs. benning stuff is tedious speculative bullshit representing the absolute worst tendencies of canuck fans to build castles in the air and then defend their imaginary castles to the death. there's a truth behind that story we absolutely do not know and likely will never know because it is very likely the participants would not agree themselves if asked. i mean i guess we could have a trial and have everyone cross examined before a really smart judge, but who cares?

we should be at peace with not knowing in the same way we don't know and don't care about a million other things about the genesis of decisions within an organization that has a collaborative decision making process. it would be good to get it out of the podkholzin thread and even better if it could be nuked from orbit.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So...

Any actual Podkolzin news?
Here's some news

Podkolzin is exactly what our team needs.

cheap ELC
fast and hard on pucks extremely strong and wins most 1v1 battles
defensive minded
tremendous puck possession player built like a tank with excellent passing ability
physical presence with leadership qualities
can get to the net and get in the goalies way for screens and deflections which is so badly needed with this group it's not funny

Who cares about SKA...just get over here. He will be a core piece

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Thank you Judd Bracket for Podzilla. Smyle not getting the kid’s name even close to correct at the selection might be revealing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hopefully Claude Giroux levels of revealing
Yup. Thank goodness we had Bracket pushing the scouting department’s selections for a few years. Podzilla is a future star for us, and the scouts knew it.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I will eat all the crow the world has to offer but I don’t see a superstar, nor a star player in the traditional sense. I don’t expect him to be on an Allstar team, but to me that’s completely fine.... he will win the unsung hero team award because his value as a elite third line role player will be crucial to our future success. In my vision he scores 20 goals from the third line and demoralized other teams top lines by relentless puck retrieval.
He might evolve to be more of a top six guy and it’s possible Green starts him out there, but I’m not putting Virtanen level expectations on him, I am hoping for a Kesler career trajectory

I have been wrong more times then I have been right so let’s just see how this goes

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Yup. Thank goodness we had Bracket pushing the scouting department’s selections for a few years. Podzilla is a future star for us, and the scouts knew it.
Again, Brackett himself said repeatedly that the entire front office was unanimous and enthusiastic in selecting Podkolzin. There's no evidence he had to push the selection on anyone.

Reactions: lawrence and Dab

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I will eat all the crow the world has to offer but I don’t see a superstar, nor a star player in the traditional sense. I don’t expect him to be on an Allstar team, but to me that’s completely fine.... he will win the unsung hero team award because his value as a elite third line role player will be crucial to our future success. In my vision he scores 20 goals from the third line and demoralized other teams top lines by relentless puck retrieval.
He might evolve to be more of a top six guy and it’s possible Green starts him out there, but I’m not putting Virtanen level expectations on him, I am hoping for a Kesler career trajectory

I have been wrong more times then I have been right so let’s just see how this goes
Ill get ya started Jan

eating-crow.jpg

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

my sentiments

i mean, he could be, but needed more offensive dominance this year. if he is challenged scoring in russia, he'll have a time here.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's still uncertain when Podkolzin will arrive.....but Hoglander has certainly blazed a trail for him.

Hardly any talk on these boards anymore about Podz being a rookie and perhaps not ready for prime-time NHL. But Hoglander, as a 20-year rookie--is killing it these days.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It's still uncertain when Podkolzin will arrive.....but Hoglander has certainly blazed a trail for him.

Hardly any talk on these boards anymore about Podz being a rookie and perhaps not ready for prime-time NHL. But Hoglander, as a 20-year rookie--is killing it these days.

The Nucks did well to get the Sputnik Rocket and the Nils "the Thrills" Hoglander in the same draft considering many were calling for the Nucks to take Caufield in the 1st round.

I also think Nils will be an elite penalty killer soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad