Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Lol. He’s developed in Russia to this point and this thread is full of praise for him.

The KHL isn’t a great place to develop. Neither is the NHL the country is just fine.
Nah, bounced around, no ice time, issues that were there before not worked on. Ability to get players out of Russia has to be a deciding factor at the draft.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
See its all "fake news"....SKA will give Podkolzin the BEST development ops and then let him walk... everyone needs to calm down.
Oddly enough, just intoning the words "fake news" doesn't prove that something isn't true. It sure looks to me like SKA is applying pressure to try to get Podkolzin to remain in Russia

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Nah, bounced around, no ice time, issues that were there before not worked on. Ability to get players out of Russia has to be a deciding factor at the draft.
I’ve watched a ton of SKA games this season. With and without Pod. Podkolzin isn’t a difference maker. Plays quite a lot and just doesn’t move the needle.

People forget the KHL isn’t a development league. Teams that want to win don’t develop kids in the NHL either.

I think people seeing him against teenagers only have a really skewed view of this player. The bull rush down the wing, the perimter play, the lack of knowing where to go without the puck (besides the front of the net) are all issues at the khl level as they’re likely to be whenever he comes across.

I think getting over 75% of the games he was available to play and averaging 12 minutes is perfectly reasonable. He’s not productive. Period.

It’s why all the pencilling him into the Pettersson line sounds wishful to me.

Reactions: MS

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I’ve watched a ton of SKA games this season. With and without Pod. Podkolzin isn’t a difference maker. Plays quite a lot and just doesn’t move the needle.

People forget the KHL isn’t a development league. Teams that want to win don’t develop kids in the NHL either.

I think people seeing him against teenagers only have a really skewed view of this player. The bull rush down the wing, the perimter play, the lack of knowing where to go without the puck (besides the front of the net) are all issues at the khl level as they’re likely to be whenever he comes across.

I think getting over 75% of the games he was available to play and averaging 12 minutes is perfectly reasonable. He’s not productive. Period.

It’s why all the pencilling him into the Pettersson line sounds wishful to me.
Sounds like Virtanen 2.0.

but kid has vision, passing ability, work ethic and tries to play defensively responsible.

For that I think most are hopeful and want to see him here ASAP to see what he can do.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Sounds like Virtanen 2.0.

but kid has vision, passing ability, work ethic and tries to play defensively responsible.

For that I think most are hopeful and want to see him here ASAP to see what he can do.
I think he’s smarter as an all around but yes I think being able to physically dominate the competition as a minor hockey/junior hockey player didn’t allow him to fill out his skill set well.

He has a huge motor. Tons of passion and a decent fundamental skill set and I do believe in time he’ll be a strong complimentary top 6 player but he’s got deficiencies in his game that are easier to see and harder to work on at a high level league like the khl is.

He’s a player that needs the puck offensively to shine and that doesn’t always work against stiffer competition.

I like the player but I think the Landeskog projections and “better playmaker” than Landy comments are bordering on the ridiculous. Didn’t landy have a 50 point nhl season at the same age?

Expecting that seems like setting up for disappointment.

Here’s hoping all the fake news is just that and he can re-establish himself as a regular player for SKA.

Reactions: thefeebster and MS

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
People got upset that Mike Gillis was "Russian adverse".

He may have taken it a step too far but I never had a huge problem with it!

Well if the Canucks leaked draft board is accurate, the Canucks had Kuznetsov ahead of Tinordi and Bennett (the two players Gillis made the Ballard deal contingent upon). If the Canucks weren't selecting a goalie and followed their draft list, they likely would have drafted Kuznetsov and given the 2011 first to Florida.

The last 4 Cup winners featured a Russian player or players that was among the top 2-3 players on those Cup winning teams. It's hard to resolve the belief that you should always draft BPA with not drafting a player because he's Russian. With that said, I don't have a problem moving a player down the draft list due to the Russian factor (all else being equal). Kind of like the CFL draft. You don't want to spend a high pick on a player you think has a high chance of not coming over to play. There hasn't been a top Russian prospect who has refused to come over and play in the NHL recently though.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I can't imagine sitting around and watching KHL games. That league is so boring I think I'd rather stare at the wall.
It's actually been known for this for a long time. The coaching style in the league has always been conservative. You see a lot of guys firing away from 40 feet and hoping for a tip.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I can't imagine sitting around and watching KHL games. That league is so boring I think I'd rather stare at the wall.
I was jonesing for hockey. I don't consider it that bad. Some games are certainly better than others. Jokerit is kind of a fun watch too, since Schroeder and Jensen play together there.

To me I wasn't any less entertained than I am watching NHL games I'm not overly invested in. Watching the KHL highlights on Youtube has become part of my hockey fix. DAZN has a game or two a week and if Pod plays I try and stream most of SKA's games.

Reactions: Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I was jonesing for hockey. I don't consider it that bad. Some games are certainly better than others. Jokerit is kind of a fun watch too, since Schroeder and Jensen play together there.

To me I wasn't any less entertained than I am watching NHL games I'm not overly invested in. Watching the KHL highlights on Youtube has become part of my hockey fix. DAZN has a game or two a week and if Pod plays I try and stream most of SKA's games.

Nice, I'm glad somebody's doing it. Appreciate getting info on our prospects.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Oddly enough, just intoning the words "fake news" doesn't prove that something isn't true. It sure looks to me like SKA is applying pressure to try to get Podkolzin to remain in Russia

I was being sarcastic:DD. If Podkolzin invested in SKA...SKA would invest in Podkolzin. They wanted him to extend, they've been trying to leverage him, but he's got a top9 job waiting for him in VAN...soon to be top6, this has been clearly stated by Benning. Everything else is just noise.

Reactions: bandwagonesque

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I went to a CSKA game when I was in Moscow back in 2011.

Was superstoked to see a team I always admired as a kid, the Montreal Canadiens of Soviet/Russian hockey.

Was a totally underwhelming experience from the play on he ice to the stadium itself to the frigging "gift shop".

Reactions: Rumsfeld

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
He may have taken it a step too far but I never had a huge problem with it!
Im not saying MG was Im saying people thought he was.

He may have been more cautious all things being equal (which of course is based of personal perceptions of players). And rightfully so. As much as "every top Russian player has come over" etc etc you simply dont have any of these concerns with players from Sweden or Finland much less Canada or the US.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
5 shifts in the first. 6 in the second. There are 4 forwards who have less ice time. He’s played 7:11 through two.

My stream keep crapping out but he had a nice takeaway in mid ice in the first.

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I know everyone believes Podkolzin should be penciled in on the top 9, but you have to wonder if some time in the AHL may be a better situation for the kid. Playing more minutes, in every situation, and having a chance to develop in (cough) an actual development league, could be just what he needs at this point in his career, both for his skill set and his confidence.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Moved up to top line as Galimov was injured. Just for one shift I’ve seen so far.

Game over 19 shifts 11:55 on the ice and one fluttering wrister from the blueline on net.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot