Status
Not open for further replies.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Reactions: Luckylarry

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
IS there any chance Podzilla’s Russian will let him out of his contract sooner than April 30, especially if they get cash?

Believe Nazzlind is correct. He had to request a chance to buyout 18 months ago. The best that can be hoped for is that he is released while still under contract, so that he can leave earlier to go through quarantine. It would be great if 3 months from now the Canucks arranged to bring him over and offered to pay his expenses to his club (you know, a bribe that is not a bribe) so that he can be signed and playing the day his contract expires. Heck, if they release him early enough, he could somehow train with the Canucks for a week or so before they sign him. Get him all set up and comfortable in Vancouver.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep, Canucks Army and sources in Russia saying that Podkolzin has played his last game in the KHL. SKA St. Petersburg has scratched him since his return from Edmonton. Apparently the team has been ramping up the pressure for him to re-sign, but obviously he and his agent have their hearts set on the Canucks and the NHL.

I suppose there's a chance he could play out a string in the Second Tier VHL for the rest of the season. But really makes you wonder if there's some way the Canucks can quietly ramp up the pressure to have him released from his KHL contract early. But I guess from Russia's standpoint, that would be setting some sort of undesirable precedent.

I suppose we should have seen this coming. April 30th can't come soon enough.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Shows why Russia is not a great place for players to develop, at all.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Basically he won't sign an extension in the KHL. So to tighten the pressure on wanting him to sign, they are basically not gonna allow him to play until he signs a contract extension.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Looks like the same old tactics,
if you’re not playing for them you’re not getting any chance at all.
Next thing is calling him traitor and stuff for months until he signs for the team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Looks like the same old tactics,
if you’re not playing for them you’re not getting any chance at all.
Next thing is calling him traitor and stuff for months until he signs for the team.
Podkolzin is an extremely impressive young man. This difficult situation with his Russian club will only serve to enhance his already very high character.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Man. That’s some late 80s/early 90s “iron curtain” hockey BS right there.
I mean it technically never left. At least in many non-hockey aspects.

Not surprising since the guys in control are the guys who were part of the apparatus in Soviet times.

People need to understand the KHL for what it is. Its really just a nationalism exercise.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Shows why Russia is not a great place for players to develop, at all.
Lol. He’s developed in Russia to this point and this thread is full of praise for him.

The KHL isn’t a great place to develop. Neither is the NHL the country is just fine.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So how about that no politics rule... Glad thats over...

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
I'm just going to use the usual HF worry.

He's not going to sign with is. He's going to finish his fourth year at Boston College and become a free agent and sign elsewhere.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And I clearly remember some posters claiming earlier that 'politics in the KHL' wouldn't be a factor in Podkolzin's 2020-21 season. Yeah right.

Same thing happens to every Russian player who lets it be known early on that he's leaving the KHL for NA as soon as his contract is up. But it's down to just a few months now. I suppose if the World Hockey Championships go ahead this spring, then the KHL could hold up Podkolzin's arrival in NA for a few more weeks.

But since the NHL will still be in the middle its regular season and won't be releasing any players on non-playoff teams like they normally do, I can't see the World Championships going ahead with all the COVID travel restrictions.

So hopefully he arrives in time to help the Canucks during their stretch drive.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
And I clearly remember some posters claiming earlier that 'politics in the KHL' wouldn't be a factor in Podkolzin's 2020-21 season. Yeah right.

Same thing happens to every Russian player who lets it be known early on that he's leaving the KHL for NA as soon as his contract is up. But it's down to just a few months now. I suppose if the World Hockey Championships go ahead this spring, then the KHL could hold up Podkolzin's arrival in NA for a few more weeks.

But since the NHL will still be in the middle its regular season and won't be releasing any players on non-playoff teams like they normally do, I can't see the World Championships going ahead with all the COVID travel restrictions.

So hopefully he arrives in time to help the Canucks during their stretch drive.
Sports in general always have some sort of political "tie".

Could be as simple as the politics surrounding a new arena.

In the KHL politics are deeply married.

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, this may not be a bad thing.. he needs the ice time and he wasn't going to get it with SKA...

As for the pressure they are applying to him, I agree with the earlier comment that this is a true sign of character from the kid.. it must be really tough for a 19-year-old to have this sort of pressure and to not yield.. I suspect that Larionov and others have given him some guidance, which is why SKA may be doing this to send a message to others who do not have the same leverage as Podkolzin.

A few months getting his legs in the VHL, is not going to hurt him at this point, where he can build up more confidence and put up some points... and if Dhaliwal is correct, and the plan for him is to stay with SKA and ride the pine for the remainder of the season, then a few months is not going to impact him too much either... if SKA keeps losing games, the coach may be forced to put Podz in, because the SKA team is definitely stronger with him in the lineup.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Countdown begins..4 months until Podkolzin is a Canuck.

I also wonder if Tryamkin might be joining us then too.

Reactions: Nucker42
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad