Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Last Podz thread WAY over 1000 posts, time to open a new one. Heres a link to the last one

Prospect Info: - Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Here are some KEY posts from the last thread

Killing a penalty now on PK1. and they gave up a PP goal.

Maybe off the ice ?

I haven't heard it's Covid related, but you never know.

double post - internet is being a bastard

Someday hockey players will finally popularize wearing toques with expensive suits.

Reading is hard I know

Different draft

Nah, he wanted Hughes.

Get out of here troll.

And now this

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
6ix months til Podz is wearing a Nucks jersey

cant wait :yo:

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Eriksson Horvat Roussell
Podz Gaudette Pearson
Motte Sutter Virtanen

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Reactions: Fedz

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
This guy needs a video. A lowlight video, you might say. Let's see how his actions turn opportunity into a disappointing stat line.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
@Luckylarry

What has Pod shown since the summer tournament before his draft season that projects him to 30/30. 30 players in the league last year posted a 25/25, only 12 were wingers. I don't see Podkolzin being a top 30 producing NHLer. I'm not sure you understand how rare a 30/30 winger is.

I have hopes Pod proves himself a really good player for Vancouver, but thinking you're going to get 30/30 seems absolute baseless at this point. I think even 20/20 is a stretch. His shot doesn't look even average at this point.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
@Luckylarry

What has Pod shown since the summer tournament before his draft season that projects him to 30/30. 30 players in the league last year posted a 25/25, only 12 were wingers. I don't see Podkolzin being a top 30 producing NHLer. I'm not sure you understand how rare a 30/30 winger is.

I have hopes Pod proves himself a really good player for Vancouver, but thinking you're going to get 30/30 seems absolute baseless at this point. I think even 20/20 is a stretch. His shot doesn't look even average at this point.
Pods is a Bracket pick. He’s going to be a Calder finalist. 30/30, big body, hard to play against, PK, and a great 200 foot game.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
@Luckylarry

Being reasonable... I was thinking the same thing. Seeing a guarantee like the following is exceedingly optimistic...
"Pods is a full time, 200 foot player, who will put up 30/30 ... and PK, and be a total pain in the ass heavy body to play against... more a Matthew [Tkatchuk]"

He is not getting consistent minutes on his KHL team - realistically, if he becomes a gritty defensive winger in the NHL who puts up 30 points/year, that is a win.

Having said that, I like Podkolzin as a prospect. Obviously, I hope he becomes a 100 point power forward. And he could exceed expectations, but it would be a welcomed surprise.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Pods is a Bracket pick. He’s going to be a Calder finalist. 30/30, big body, hard to play against, PK, and a great 200 foot game.

Can you find any player, from the KHL, who has this much trouble producing that’s turned into a 30/30 player ?

Or with a similar P/60 at least?

I am genuinely curious because Podz seems to have a lot of the intangibles, but no shot/finish. Not such how to project him to be anything more than an energy guy rn.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
Not much to talk about when it comes to this prospect. Solid prospect with good all around skills, however lacks the shot to produce. Is a pass first winger who understands that his shot needs work and probably why he's based his game around his passing. Unless he's rushing down the wing, Podkolzin is never looking for ways to get the puck in the net and that's due to his lack of shot. Needs to develop it to have any hope of being a top 9 player in the NHL. Sometimes helps when prospects get to the NHL as you have help from some of the best in the world. Everybody can discuss his odds based on point totals but why not speak about the player in detail, as the reason for every player failing or making it are for different reasons, those specific reasons have different odds. A player's shot improving to passable (while over excelling in other areas) is much more likely than somebody who is one dimensional, undersized, plays passively, not driven, etc.

He's still very much a project due to his shot and will be limited to a 3-4th liner unless it improves. Personally would have no problem picking him that high up again, simply based on the upside. Getting players like Tkachuk who have the body and strength, as well as the tools is a special treat.

Honestly I am quite shocked how little his shot is spoken about on boards or by media. Despite it being his glaring flaw. I believe it's because people see him getting off a decent shot now and then, it means he has a good shot but any player can get a good shot off here and there when theyre shooting enough pucks. To have a passable shot, you need to consistently shoot above a certain level

Last edited:
Reactions: Shattered Dreams

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
@VNCVR People think he's got a great shot and is a goal scorer due to his scoring 8 goals during the Ivan Hlinka in his draft year (all the way back in the summer of 2018!).

Since then, he hasn't had enough exposure for the non scouting fans/media to see he's never been a 1 shot scorer. However, you'd think after the last WJC (where he showed off his real game/style of play) people would've caught on, but nope...some still see 30 goal upside at the NHL level which Podkolzin hasn't shown a hint of in the last 2 years.

For me, Podkolzin's potential has been that of a two-way posession monster who provides strong secondary scoring in a top 6 role. I think he projects as a 20G/50pt guy who can play on both special teams (likely 2nd PP), and is trusted in important situations by the coaching staff. The winger version of Antoine Vermette would be a good outcome imo.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
I see him having 20g/70pt potential if every single thing went right. His vision when it comes to passing is pretty good, anybody suggesting 30 hasn't truly analyzed his shot, you don't suddenly go from having a poor shot to a 30g shot in the nhl. When I say he needs to get his shot to a passable level, I say that because he needs more than passing in his arsenal to be a solid top 6, you need to be able to finish off a regular play or the coach will put a player there that can get more out of the line.

As far as his KHL totals, when passing is your only offensive strength, you aren't in control of your point totals and when youre on the 4th line of a KHL team, it might not be the right pieces on his line to truly capitalize on the type of plays he wants to make. There is truth in that higher levels are actually easier for certain types of players and certain positions. You see it with defenders saying that they find playing in the NHL actually much easier than the AHL, simply based on the structure and knowing that you can rely on them being there in their position and the skill to execute on what you are trying to direct. This could very well be the case for players in limited minutes in the KHL.

But yes, I would say 20g/50pt as of now is the most likely spot he lands because I do think they will work with him on his shot and have him focus on it.

Reactions: The Iron Goalie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad