Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Decent vision when he has the puck but doesn't know how to cycle or get open for scoring chances. That is where I see the Virtanen comparison. Sort of clueless without the puck in the offensive zone. Not sure how that translates to a top 6 forward

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Decent vision when he has the puck but doesn't know how to cycle or get open for scoring chances. That is where I see the Virtanen comparison. Sort of clueless without the puck in the offensive zone. Not sure how that translates to a top 6 forward
I don’t think he doesn’t know how to cycle. Jake certainly didn’t and still struggles. The cycle isn’t a very common approach in the khl and on big ice in general.

There is a definite concern about what he does offensively without the puck and there is some similarities to Virtanen in this way.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

There may be some similarities to Virtanen in regards to hockey IQ, but Podkolzin doesn't have Virtanen's compete problems. By all accounts Podkolzin is a very dedicated and competitive player. When Virtanen is going he is a very good player, the problem is he disappears for long stretches of the season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have a feeling Podkolzin is going to surprise when he gets here, similar to how Hoglander, who was shockingly only a 3rd liner on a SHL team, has surprised people by instantly being a top player on the Canucks.
Have to agree....both players seem built for the smaller ice.....non-stop motors and elite level vision with the puck. Podkolzin is seriously underrated for his work down low in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Deezone

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I have a feeling Podkolzin is going to surprise when he gets here, similar to how Hoglander, who was shockingly only a 3rd liner on a SHL team, has surprised people by instantly being a top player on the Canucks.
Two different players.

Hoglander has a great shot and very good passing.

Maybe Podkolzin will buck his non production when he get to he NHL, but they are two totally different players.

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
There may be some similarities to Virtanen in regards to hockey IQ, but Podkolzin doesn't have Virtanen's compete problems. By all accounts Podkolzin is a very dedicated and competitive player. When Virtanen is going he is a very good player, the problem is he disappears for long stretches of the season.
Coaches would love Virtanen if he was defensively responsible...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking more and more like the World Hockey Championships will be scrapped this year. Belarus was supposed to host the tournament, but some of the other national teams in Europe are threatening a boycott because of the political situation there. And with the NHL unlikely to be able release any of their players because they'd still be in the middle of their seasons, I don't see how the tournament can be relocated and rescheduled.

So what does this mean? Well Podkolzin could be signed by April 30th and in the Canucks lineup the next day/

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Looking more and more like the World Hockey Championships will be scrapped this year. Belarus was supposed to host the tournament, but some of the other national teams in Europe are threatening a boycott because of the political situation there. And with the NHL unlikely to be able release any of their players because they'd still be in the middle of their seasons, I don't see how the tournament can be relocated and rescheduled.

So what does this mean? Well Podkolzin could be signed by April 30th and in the Canucks lineup the next day/
It was the sponsors pulling out. $$$ talks.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
tryamkin was like a #7 defenseman here when he played

idk how much better he is now but like lmao

Reactions: Nucker101 and PM

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Podkolzin might actually be a really good compliment to Gaudette.

They could use some speed on the left wing though... maybe Lockwood? That's a young unproven line but just thinking about future possibilities.

Reactions: lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad