Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
he needs to be top 3 in scoring to satiate the hype our fanbase is generating.... some are already expecting him to be a Calder nom :help:.

is there any precedent of a prospect that is playing less than 10 minutes in his club team and explodes to all tournament team in international play?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
he needs to be top 3 in scoring to satiate the hype our fanbase is generating.... some are already expecting him to be a Calder nom :help:.

is there any precedent of a prospect that is playing less than 10 minutes in his club team and explodes to all tournament team in international play?
Well he has the advantage of years of professional hockey before playing in the NHL. He has skill and I will be amazed if he is not in the running for the caulder.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
It was suggested in a story in Nucksmisconduct.com that Podkolzin's low ice time is a tactic to get him to sign an extension with SKA. I would tend to take a story written by somebody using an internet handle not very seriously, but I've heard that KHL clubs have use punishment tactics on NHL draft picks in the past. So maybe there's some merit to the suggestion. In any event, the low ice time for our best prospect bothers me. Surely his development is slowed because of it.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I wouldn't worry too much, the KHL schedule ends in 5 months....that will go by quickly and Podkolzin will be free to sign (after the playoffs of course). As the NHL/NHLPA are working out parameters for 2020/21 (or is that just 2021) I'm curious to learn whether they will change eprovisions for players playing in other professional leagues. If the NHL season started in January and the KHL season ended in February, will they allow players to transition over before the end of the regular season without going through waivers? seems to make sense...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With less than year left on his KHL contract, Podkolzin's ice-time and stats with St. Petersburg SKA are almost irrelevant to me. He'll be captaining the Russian WJC team this December in Edmonton. I'll be far more interested to see what he does in that tournament.

It's hard to fathom that a kid who was such an impact player for his KHL club team in the playoffs last year, can suddenly be playing less than seven minutes a game. Politics, pure and simple. Hope he signs with the Canucks by April and gives the team a boost in the last half of the revised NHL schedule.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
With less than year left on his KHL contract, Podkolzin's ice-time and stats with St. Petersburg SKA are almost irrelevant to me. He'll be captaining the Russian WJC team this December in Edmonton. I'll be far more interested to see what he does in that tournament.

It's hard to fathom that a kid who was such an impact player for his KHL club team in the playoffs last year, can suddenly be playing less than seven minutes a game. Politics, pure and simple. Hope he signs with the Canucks by April and gives the team a boost in the last half of the revised NHL schedule.

Cmon, Podkolzin wasnt a 'high impact player' in last year's playoffs. He was a young player who performed exceptionally well given relatively sheltered 3 line minutes.

Anyhow, quit believing click-bait media based on stereotypes and falsities.

Podlkozlin's entire line (that did well in last years play-offs) is receiving limited minutes, not just him. And his linemates, Marchenko and Morozov, are signed through 2022. I mean Marchenko looked better than Podkozlin in the pre-season and is being treated the same.

Unlike Kudashov last year, Bragin is renowned for favoring players with experience. But like someone said in the main-board thread, the season is a marathon not a sprint. We're only 7 games into the season.

Last edited:

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I’m usually of the belief that you let guys develop in their home country but I think Podkolzin should get here as soon as possible. Another Sub 10 minute game at 8 minutes. Most of the other high end Khlers like Tarsenko etc got ice time on average teams unlike pod who’s on one of the two powerhouses and gets basically zero ice time.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I’m usually of the belief that you let guys develop in their home country but I think Podkolzin should get here as soon as possible. Another Sub 10 minute game at 8 minutes. Most of the other high end Khlers like Tarsenko etc got ice time on average teams unlike pod who’s on one of the two powerhouses and gets basically zero ice time.

SKA is not a powerhouse this season, they have lots of young players there, they are on rebuild ATM.

Forward line up tonight : (age)

1st line : 20-24-20
2nd line : 27-29-24
3rd line : 32-30-34
4th line : 19-25-20

+ Podkolzin 13th forward, 19 years old

11 x forwards u 30
8 x forwards 25 or younger

Linden Vey didn't play

Last edited:

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
SKA is not a powerhouse this season, they have lots of young players there, they are on rebuild ATM.

10 x forwards u 30
7 x forwards 25 or younger

Yes it is a power house and the biggest club in the KHL or 2nd after CSKA. This is also the first game that the 2 20 year olds got biggest minutes so bad argument on your part.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

11 x forwards u 30
8 x forwards 25 or younger

Linden Vey didn't play
I think some us forget just how young Pods is. He doesn’t turn 20 until the end of June 2021. He’s, by all measures we have access to, still growing physically too. He’s gone from 6’ at his draft to close to 6’4” now. He’s going to be the modern era Alexander Yakushev.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yes it is a power house and the biggest club in the KHL or 2nd after CSKA. This is also the first game that the 2 20 year olds got biggest minutes so bad argument on your part.

SKA team changed significantly from last season, they let go 5 of their top 6 forwards
they have been outshot, in almost every game, or been really close

I mean just look at Askarov save count...oh yeah, their starter goalie is an 18 year old .
They are rebuilding, name sake powerhouse only, not a powerhouse as in roster/on paper

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
SKA team changed significantly from last season, they let go 5 of their top 6 forwards
they have been outshot, in almost every game, or been really close

I mean just look at Askarov save count...oh yeah, their starter goalie is an 18 year old .
They are rebuilding, name sake powerhouse only, not a powerhouse as in roster/on paper

Why are they first in their conference and 2nd in the league then?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
I think some us forget just how young Pods is. He doesn’t turn 20 until the end of June 2021. He’s, by all measures we have access to, still growing physically too. He’s gone from 6’ at his draft to close to 6’4” now. He’s going to be the modern era Alexander Yakushev.

I'm a huge Podkolzin fan, but there's no way I can take those growth figures at face value. I've got too much experience with padded size stats in sports to swallow a growth spurt from six feet to between six-three and six-four now. I know you're not making this up because I saw the same report. It smells of BS but of course, like you, I hope it's true. A teenage 6'4' Podkolzin with his aggression, strength, and nonstop motor? Wow. But let's cool the jets on that one until we see him in Edmonton right around Christmas. I'm expecting a guy about 6'1" or so, with all those good qualities plus splinters in his ass from spending too much time on Bragin's bench before getting to Edmonton.

Which raises the question: Bragin wants to win the World Juniors, right? Obviously he wants all his players in top game shape before the tournament begins, especially the leading ones like Podkolzin. If all that is true, then we have to expect that Pod will begin getting significantly more minutes, one way or another, as December approaches.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm a huge Podkolzin fan, but there's no way I can take those growth figures at face value. I've got too much experience with padded size stats in sports to swallow a growth spurt from six feet to between six-three and six-four now. I know you're not making this up because I saw the same report. It smells of BS but of course, like you, I hope it's true. A teenage 6'4' Podkolzin with his aggression, strength, and nonstop motor? Wow. But let's cool the jets on that one until we see him in Edmonton right around Christmas. I'm expecting a guy about 6'1" or so, with all those good qualities plus splinters in his ass from spending too much time on Bragin's bench before getting to Edmonton.

Which raises the question: Bragin wants to win the World Juniors, right? Obviously he wants all his players in top game shape before the tournament begins, especially the leading ones like Podkolzin. If all that is true, then we have to expect that Pod will begin getting significantly more minutes, one way or another, as December approaches.
Pod’s minutes in Russia don’t matter to me. If you got to see Yakushev play then you’ll understand how great Pods will be for us.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s also younger than his two young linemates by a year. That’s huge at this stage of his career. Let’s see how the season gies as it’s only started and he’s playing on a very good team.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Check out that guys posts in the Podz thread in the main prospects forum. I wouldnt read too much into his opinion on Podz and other prospects. He formed a opinion, was proven wrong and stuck with his original opinion instead of just accepting his mistakes on PROJECTING Podz

lawrence

May 19, 2012

That's bull crap. In one game the twenty year olds that played most of the games on the bottom 6 was just shuffled onto the first line in that one game.

there 7th in the league out of 23 teams and 2nd in their conference. Although still early every team has around 7 or 8 games played. Far fetched from waht GeorgeLaffer is trying tos ay.

as per hockeydb 4 out of their top 6 point producers are still on the team, including their top 2 producers are still on the team.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Maybe the upside of his low ice-time in the KHL is that he'll be really motivated to get to the NHL.. Earning a regular shift in the NHL as a top 12 forward would be an upgrade for him. Maybe he'll be stoked for that. Imagine going from 7 minutes a night in thh KHL to 15 minutes a night in the NHL playing with Horvat, Petey or even Gaudette as your C.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
It seems we have been focusing alot on drafting players with high character and integirty lately from Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser and now Podkolzin. Gone are the days of Mcann , Tryamkin, Virtanen

Reactions: Grantham

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
That's bull crap. In one game the twenty year olds that played most of the games on the bottom 6 was just shuffled onto the first line in that one game.

thats the problem with arguing with Georgeleafer sometimes, that is completely disingenuous points for people that follow this prospect. The only reason the two 20 year olds are on the first line is because Vey didn't dress last game, so they moved the kid line with Tkachyov. So correct age for 1st line so far this season is Ketov 34, Vey 29, Tkachyov 24

there 7th in the league out of 23 teams and 2nd in their conference. Although still early every team has around 7 or 8 games played. Far fetched from waht GeorgeLaffer is trying tos ay.

They are 1st in the conference and 1st in the league. season is early, but they are pacing the league 8 games in.

as per hockeydb 4 out of their top 6 point producers are still on the team, including their top 2 producers are still on the team.

They are the definition of a stacked powerhouse team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think playing in the KHL does slow down a prospect's development. A lot of the players require more time than comparable players in their class playing in North America. With that said, the Russians seem to do a good job of developing their forwards. Kravtsov is off to a hot start in the KHL and looks to be a top NHL prospect again. It might benefit Podkolzin to stay an extra year or even two at the KHL level (of course I would like to see him make the jump over here).

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I think playing in the KHL does slow down a prospect's development. A lot of the players require more time than comparable players in their class playing in North America. With that said, the Russians seem to do a good job of developing their forwards. Kravtsov is off to a hot start in the KHL and looks to be a top NHL prospect again. It might benefit Podkolzin to stay an extra year or even two at the KHL level (of course I would like to see him make the jump over here).

Astute observation.

North American hockey culture has an affinity for instant gratification. The fastest and most direct path to the NHL is generally considered the best path. Russia is a little different. Development tends to be more methodical and less rushed.
Obviously there’s no ‘right’ method; each tends to work well for both’s respective players.
And of course Im speaking in generalities.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
And with less ice-time will mean fewer bumps and bruises.

But the flip side is..lots of minutes for prospects allows them to explore and develop their game and expand their creativity. Mind you in the KHL this is a pipe-dream, but even 12 minutes should be the minimum I would hope for. Good guidance by Larionov though, who is a great mentor and all class!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad