Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Considering that the KHL season began so early, and the next NHL season will start so late—is it conceivable that Podkolzin could join the Canucks midway through next season?

Yes. Depending on how well SKA does in the playoffs, the latest he could sign would be late April. If the NHL season does start in January, Podkolzin could join us for the final 4th of the season, and playoffs (if we make it).

If that happens, Podkolzin should be a solid addition to our bot 6, and possibly the 2nd PP + PK(if he earns Greens trust). Think rookie Horvat.

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
His average TOI during the playoffs was 14:25. After three games this season, 11:24. I think we'll see his ice time increase as the year progresses. Some powerplay time would certainly improve his stat line.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Yes. Depending on how well SKA does in the playoffs, the latest he could sign would be late April. If the NHL season does start in January, Podkolzin could join us for the final 4th of the season, and playoffs (if we make it).

If that happens, Podkolzin should be a solid addition to our bot 6, and possibly the 2nd PP + PK(if he earns Greens trust). Think rookie Horvat.

If we have guys like Gaudette and Sutter on our second unit, he is certainly 2nd unit material. He has a better shot than anyone on the 2nd unit, and is more skilled handling the puck. He certainly has the power of Horvat, but his skill set is better suited to playing the right side wall on the PP, where he can rip one timers or let go a strong wrist shot.

Didn't the Canucks try Horvat playing the right side (2nd unit PP) at the beginning of the season, but it just wasn't working? Podkolzin is a more skilled Horvat, and would work there. Our 2nd unit will be greatly improved upon his arrival.

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
If we have guys like Gaudette and Sutter on our second unit, he is certainly 2nd unit material. He has a better shot than anyone on the 2nd unit, and is more skilled handling the puck. He certainly has the power of Horvat, but his skill set is better suited to playing the right side wall on the PP, where he can rip one timers or let go a strong wrist shot.

Didn't the Canucks try Horvat playing the right side (2nd unit PP) at the beginning of the season, but it just wasn't working? Podkolzin is a more skilled Horvat, and would work there. Our 2nd unit will be greatly improved upon his arrival.

The Horvat comp wasn't a style comp, but more about how impactful I think he'll be. Rookie Bo in the playoffs was a beast. Agree with the rest of your post

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
It still puts a smile on my face when i watch what Brian Burke said on air about Podz when we drafted him:

" This is a man, This is not a boy. This man can play right now"

quite the polar opposite to what he said about Hughes:

"Thats a small body gentlemen, Thats a small body"

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It still puts a smile on my face when i watch what Brian Burke said on air about Podz when we drafted him:

" This is a man, This is not a boy. This man can play right now"

quite the polar opposite to what he said about Hughes:

"Thats a small body gentlemen, Thats a small body"
I'll take Hughes over Hal Gill 100 times out of a 100.:sarcasm:

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I heard a similar date (May 1, 2021) on the radio last week, so that’s likely right in the middle of next season. He will step right in and be a top six right winger too. I think Benning knows this, and that’s another reason why he won’t offer a contract to Tofu. Pods at league minimum for three years or Tofu for 5 mil? Easy choice. Pods will be the better player too.

Wtf are you talking about.

You're making these statements based on what ?

The extensive scouting you've done?

Yikes. I like the pick. I'm optimistic Pods will be a good player, but these statements are baseless and ridiculous. To the point of toxic. Can't have a discussion based on reality with such statements being so far from it.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Ice time is drastically decreasing below 10 minutes the last 3 games. Wouldn’t be surprised if it has to do with him being a free agent in the summer and not signing an extension.

Reactions: lindgren

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Looks like the young trio (Marchenko Morozov and Podkolzin) are all getting spoon fed little minutes and lesser roles in the early going of the season. I expect it will change as things progress.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podkolzin will be captaining the Russia WJC team in Edmonton this Xmas, as the World Junior Hockey Championship takes place in the bubble at Rogers Place.

A good chance to measure him against the peers in his age-group. Too bad the Canucks couldn't sign him when the tournament ends.

Reactions: mriswith

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Podkolzin will be captaining the Russia WJC team in Edmonton this Xmas, as the World Junior Hockey Championship takes place in the bubble at Rogers Place.

A good chance to measure him against the peers in his age-group. Too bad the Canucks couldn't sign him when the tournament ends.

I think we've seen enough of Podkolzin in international tournaments where his performance against his peers doesn't really matter. Of course, being 19 and this being his third WJC, nothing short of a good performance would be a huge disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad