Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure I get the Radulov comparisons. From all reports, Podkolzin plays a heavy 200-foot game, as physical and tenacious in the d-zone as he is driving the net.

Radulov has always been above average in the offensive zone; but not a guy you could rely on to 'check his hat' in his own zone. I guess he's improved a bit in that area as he moved into his 30's. But still not a guy who'd ever mistaken for a Selke nominee.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Ha ha ha. Nice try. Cop in three NHL seasons has proven to be a 10 goal 25 point guy.
Pods will be at minimum a 30-30 guy, while bringing heavy 200 foot hockey ever shift. He will PK too.
Not even close to similar production.
Pods will be more like Matt Tkatchuk.
Pods will be a finalist for the Calder.

I like Podz alot but i dont think he will be in the Calder conversation.

Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes were all put in a position to immediately contribute offensively whether thats in pp1 or top 6.

However with Podz i believe he will have more of a Horvat trajectory where he will make the team as a bottom 6 player and then work himself up.

This in itself is the beauty about Podz's game, he can be an every situation for the Canucks.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Podz in action right now SKA St Petersburg vs Nizhkny Novgorod.

3rd game of regular season for Podz

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
He looks like a top 5 talent from his draft.

its been a very weird class post draft so far, the top 2 guys really struggled(yes they played at the NHL level, but they were still bad, especially Kakko) I'd say Seider has maybe been the most impressive out of all the 2019 top picks so far, and he was the pick everybody was shocked at going so high, he looks so impressive

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
its been a very weird class post draft so far, the top 2 guys really struggled(yes they played at the NHL level, but they were still bad, especially Kakko) I'd say Seider has maybe been the most impressive out of all the 2019 top picks so far, and he was the pick everybody was shocked at going so high, he looks so impressive
Where does Seider play? Explain why you believe he’s so good. Imo Detroit screwed up their last couple drafts. The should have taken Hughes and then Pods. I’m happy they screwed up though, because Hughes and Pods are proving better than the two Detroit guys.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Where does Seider play? Explain why you believe he’s so good. Imo Detroit screwed up their last couple drafts. The should have taken Hughes and then Pods. I’m happy they screwed up though, because Hughes and Pods are proving better than the two Detroit guys.

oh they definitely screwed up 2018, but I'll reserve judgement on 2019 until we see these guys in the NHL, on why I love Seider, his skating is superb, he's got more offensive ability than I thought he did pre-draft, but the most impressive thing about him is his intelligence and positioning on defence, he's gonna end up being a two-way beast who play all situation and 23-25 minutes a night on a top pair IMO

Reactions: HockeyNightInAsia

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
What is the rationale to designate Morozov/Marchenko/Pod as their "fourth" line? Those three have been joined at the hip for a while. Seeing Vey and Galimov get the lions share of minutes while the kids get 10-12 minutes a game does bug me.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Pod not being able to join the Canucks for two seasons might be very beneficial for the Canucks in the long run. He will join the team on an entry level contract just as the team’s core players are hitting their prime years and hopefully help them compete for a Stanley Cup.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
oh they definitely screwed up 2018, but I'll reserve judgement on 2019 until we see these guys in the NHL, on why I love Seider, his skating is superb, he's got more offensive ability than I thought he did pre-draft, but the most impressive thing about him is his intelligence and positioning on defence, he's gonna end up being a two-way beast who play all situation and 23-25 minutes a night on a top pair IMO

Seider was under scouted by the bigger publications, he is a top 10 pick for sure. I've seen some lists have him behind even York! Early indications suggest Seider should be challenging Byram, who looks like a #2/3, for first D picked. followed by Soderstrom, Harley then Broberg.

Reactions: HockeyNightInAsia

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
his name is perfect for so many nicknames, which also increases his stock, Podzilla, Podfather, Godkolzin etc etc
I spent a bit of time on this one...

The POD

The POD.jpg

Pick Of Destiny

Reactions: Bgav

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What is the rationale to designate Morozov/Marchenko/Pod as their "fourth" line? Those three have been joined at the hip for a while. Seeing Vey and Galimov get the lions share of minutes while the kids get 10-12 minutes a game does bug me.

That's why relying on "consensus draft rankings" based on the aggregate of various draft guide's rankings as the basis of arguing that a player does not belong in a certain draft slot is so stupid. In this past draft, there were clearly no clearcut top Dman after Byram.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Seider was under scouted by the bigger publications, he is a top 10 pick for sure. I've seen some lists have him behind even York! Early indications suggest Seider should be challenging Byram, who looks like a #2/3, for first D picked. followed by Soderstrom, Harley then Broberg.

The lists are a reflection of the general understanding at the time. Rather than scouting time spent at the rink watching Seider, I think it had more to do with equalizing ability across disparate leagues. This is still a blind spot for NHL scouts, IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if some lists had Seider behind York. Luckily, others did not. This is why you have to take the aggregate rankings into account to understand how multiple evaluators placed each player. If it's about even, then you could justify either pick on the surface. If it's a landslide, as was the case with Tkachuk/Juolevi, alarm bells should be going off in even the most emptiest of heads.

The scouts are paid to beat the lists... Not end up looking like fools because of them.

Last edited:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Considering that the KHL season began so early, and the next NHL season will start so late—is it conceivable that Podkolzin could join the Canucks midway through next season?

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
The lists are a reflection of the general understanding at the time. Rather than scouting time spent at the rink watching Seider, I think it had more to do with equalizing ability across disparate leagues. This is still a blind spot for NHL scouts, IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if some lists had Seider behind York. Luckily, others did not. This is why you have to take the aggregate rankings into account to understand how multiple evaluators placed each player. If it's about even, then you could justify either pick on the surface. If it's a landslide, as was the case with Tkachuk/Juolevi, alarm bells should be going off in even the most emptiest of heads.

The scouts are paid to beat the lists... Not end up looking like fools because of them.

Bingo. Again I was on the Seider/Newhook train for the 10th pick. And Seider was an obvious example of DEL being under appreciated. Not sure whether it's a blind spot for NHL scouts themselves, or rather just the scouting mechanism as a whole, the accountability and credibility blah blah, that still makes it tough for scouts to come out and fully buy in for a player from these leagues. The twitter sphere seemed, somewhat quietly, quite high on Seider at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->