Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
His still has elite advance stats and has points in 2 of the 3 games he’s played more at least 10 minutes

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
It seems we have been focusing alot on drafting players with high character and integirty lately from Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser and now Podkolzin. Gone are the days of Mcann , Tryamkin, Virtanen

Huh?

1. Virtanen is still here
2. The McCann trade is near-universally regarded to be one of Benning's worst blunders on HFCanucks, character and integrity be damned
3. Benning wanted to resign Tryamkin for next season but couldn't, largely because of prior bad decisions (e.g. see #2)

Is your larger point that Benning totally botched the 2014 draft?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I hope that Faber realizes all he's done is put Pod in a tough spot with his team. Russian teams pay attention to Western media.

This story isn't anything new or groundbreaking, this is how it always is for prospects in EU pro leagues (with rare exceptions), they get bottom minutes and ride the pine, but they are playing pro hockey against men and the experience is still valuable--moreso than NA major junior IMO. Teams simply don't see the benefit in developing and giving chances to a young player who is drafted and will leave to NA within years, they won't reap the benefit and they have veterans signed to deals who can score better and more consistently.

Its now reached the point where Pod's agent (I'm pretty sure Larionov represents him) is speaking to media about it. It's only going to get worse for him with SKA as more attention is drawn to something that is standard fare in their eyes.

Reactions: Yourwifeson

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Huh?

1. Virtanen is still here
2. The McCann trade is near-universally regarded to be one of Benning's worst blunders on HFCanucks, character and integrity be damned
3. Benning wanted to resign Tryamkin for next season but couldn't, largely because of prior bad decisions (e.g. see #2)

Is your larger point that Benning totally botched the 2014 draft?
Funny thing is that McCann was drawing Jonathan Toews comparisons prior to the draft. He was a late riser who then fell on draft day, some people had him at 9-10

Reactions: Yourwifeson

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
I hope that Faber realizes all he's done is put Pod in a tough spot with his team. Russian teams pay attention to Western media.

This story isn't anything new or groundbreaking, this is how it always is for prospects in EU pro leagues (with rare exceptions), they get bottom minutes and ride the pine, but they are playing pro hockey against men and the experience is still valuable--moreso than NA major junior IMO. Teams simply don't see the benefit in developing and giving chances to a young player who is drafted and will leave to NA within years, they won't reap the benefit and they have veterans signed to deals who can score better and more consistently.

Its now reached the point where Pod's agent (I'm pretty sure Larionov represents him) is speaking to media about it. It's only going to get worse for him with SKA as more attention is drawn to something that is standard fare in their eyes.
If it makes Pod wanna leave SKA more. Than itll be a winning situation.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Funny thing is that McCann was drawing Jonathan Toews comparisons prior to the draft. He was a late riser who then fell on draft day, some people had him at 9-10

That's not the case at all IRRC. McCann was a faller because his offensive production in his draft-eligible year was considered underwhelming. For example, he had 27 goals 62 points in 64 games. All the OHL forwards drafted ahead of McCann had better offensive production. The next two OHL forwards (Goldobin and Ho-Sang) outproduced him.

There were certainly high expectations for McCann. He was drafted #4 overall in the OHL draft. The people who had him 9-10 ranked him there at the beginning of his draft eligible year.

That's kind of the story for McCann though. There were times where you would think that there's no way he's not a top 6 player in the NHL. But at the end of the day he hasn't and likely isn't.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Guessing that Podkolzin's KHL contract is up on April 30th. As long as he has a good WJC as Russian team captain, I could care less about the shenanigans with St. Petersberg in the KHL.

And interesting to read that former Calgary coach Bill Peters (now coaching Yekaterinburg Automobolist) is riding Tryamkin like a rented mule...up to 30 minutes a night on the pk and pp. Still hope he makes his way to VanCity.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Today's game should be an opportunity for Podz to shine, as SKA is dressing one of the youngest lineups in thier history. 2020 draft eligible Marat Khusnutdinov will be his C today, and join 6 other teenagers in the lineup today (Podkolzin included).

The Rona strikes...stay safe Podz.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Today's game should be an opportunity for Podz to shine, as SKA is dressing one of the youngest lineups in thier history. 2020 draft eligible Marat Khusnutdinov will be his C today, and join 6 other teenagers in the lineup today (Podkolzin included).

Wow! This is a bit of a shocker if true. Based on some of the highlights, it looks like the KHL is playing in front of empty buildings as well. So for COVID to run rampant through the team is a wakeup call for the NHL, which is still hoping to have limited fans in their buildings when they resume.

But you have to think that when the NHL does resume, and with a full-on travel schedule, players will be exposed in airports, hotels and at the rinks even if they're empty. I'll be much bigger challenge than playing games in a bubble.

Something to think about if the NHL resumes in December or January. It's not that far away.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Dhaliwal reported something similar, was it SKA or CSKA before the end of the summer. The team quite literally responded to him saying that this report is untrue and to stay in his lane lol

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Dhaliwal reported something similar, was it SKA or CSKA before the end of the summer. The team quite literally responded to him saying that this report is untrue and to stay in his lane lol

And multiple KHL games have already been postponed.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Myocarditis is very very bad for athletes, I'm shocked SKA is still playing. But then I was in a Russian plane before, I was shocked that it can take off, we all clapped when it landed. But hey 17.5 minutes for the big guy, this is his time to shine......at least until the league shuts down...... with multiple cases in Lokomotiv, SKA, Sibir, along with the ongoing stuff in Jokerit.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
seeing LA send their prospects to Germany.... I think the owner of kings also own a DEL franchise.... if the KHL do shut down eventually, how much say do Canucks have for Pod and others, to work a deal out to a team in the DEL? just spitballing..

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
seeing LA send their prospects to Germany.... I think the owner of kings also own a DEL franchise.... if the KHL do shut down eventually, how much say do Canucks have for Pod and others, to work a deal out to a team in the DEL? just spitballing..

Back in the day, the famed 2003 draft class had players such as Kesler who were thought to have benefited from the lockout as they got to play primary roles in a better than usual AHL instead of more limited minutes in the AHL. I wonder how the COVID disruption will impact the development of players.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I, for one, would prefer if our top prospect was not currently playing for a team with over 10 Covid cases right now.

there are more then 10 covid cases in the khl. They just keeping things quiet.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
SKA is still decimated by Covid so Podz is on the 2nd line today..

He is in snarly mood... 1st intermission

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
SKA is still decimated by Covid so Podz is on the 2nd line today..

He is in snarly mood... 1st intermission

I love this guy. He’s super competitive. He’s such a leader. He’s going to be a Calder finalist fir sure, and be a 30 goal 30 assist player that brings it every shift. Steal of his draft. Thank you Judd Bracket.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I love this guy. He’s super competitive. He’s such a leader. He’s going to be a Calder finalist fir sure, and be a 30 goal 30 assist player that brings it every shift. Steal of his draft. Thank you Judd Bracket.

Its a terrible thing to say around these parts but Larionov compared Podz to a young "Mark Messier"

Reactions: Luckylarry

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

Re: Calder

I really dont think so because I dont think he will be put in a position to produce right off the bat.

I think he will get the Horvat treatman and start on the 4th and 3rd and gradually work himself up. I have no problem with that either because everything is going to be so foreign to him including playing on North American ice. He will probably be joining mid-season so it wouldnt be fair to him to just trust him in a top 6. He will have to earn it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Re: Calder

I really dont think so because I dont think he will be put in a position to produce right off the bat.

I think he will get the Horvat treatman and start on the 4th and 3rd and gradually work himself up. I have no problem with that either because everything is going to be so foreign to him including playing on North American ice. He will probably be joining mid-season so it wouldnt be fair to him to just trust him in a top 6. He will have to earn it.
I think this coming season will have 15 or so games left when Pods comes over to join th3 team. He will get those games and prove how fabulous he is. He will get moved up to Bo’s wing, and be great. The the following season (his rookie eligible year) he will play right away with Bo. Pods will be a 30-30 guy in his full rookie year. And he’s going to be tough, hard to play against, and earn a Calder finalist.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I think this coming season will have 15 or so games left when Pods comes over to join th3 team. He will get those games and prove how fabulous he is. He will get moved up to Bo’s wing, and be great. The the following season (his rookie eligible year) he will play right away with Bo. Pods will be a 30-30 guy in his full rookie year. And he’s going to be tough, hard to play against, and earn a Calder finalist.

Id love for that to happen but I think your expectations are bit high or you have the wrong impression of what type of a player Podz is. 30 goals his rookie season? That's like Boeser goal scoring level, Podz isnt that.

I know you say he will play with Horvat but Horvat himself doesnt even have a 30 goal year and you think Podz will get that his rookie season?

Podz is going to be more of a power winger/play maker and hard around the net than a pure 30 goal sniper.

I think in his prime Podz can be a 60-75 point winger but that will be only a coule of prime season and certainly not his rookie season.

20-20 would be a fantastic rookie season.

I thik we have just been so spoiled with a few historic calder seasons from Hughes and Pettersson that we think its the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad