Vancouver Sports Media III

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Because you got dunked on.
Communism is something that has some theoretical basis that doesn't seem to work in practice due to the way that humans work when in groups.
Fascism is evil.

He didn't get dunked on at all.

It's no coincidence, or a case of bad luck based on practice- communism by its very nature leads to totalitarianism. You can say all these platitudes of the good natured aspect on which communism is based, but at the end of the day someone has to be in charge. You are not just putting all the political power in the hands of one body, you are also putting all the economic power there as well. Ultimately someone has to be in charge and power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Last edited:

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
He didn't get dunked on at all.

It's no coincidence, or a case of bad luck based on practice- communism by its very nature leads to totalitarianism. You can say all these platitudes of the good natured aspect on which communism is based, but at the end of the day someone has to be in charge. You are not just putting all the political power in the hands of one body, you are also putting all the economic power there as well. Ultimately someone has to be in charge and power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
That is vanguardism fwiw, aka forced communism. It actually goes against Marxist doctrine, and has been a disaster. Remember that according to Engels, communism will develop naturally as the state naturally withers away. Its quite anarchic, which is the opposite of the 20th century "communist" states which were indeed totalitarian in nature.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Hate Burke all you want but he's a rising star at TSN 1040. A buddy I know who works there told me his audio clips get more plays than any of their local 'regular hit' guys (he gets like, Bob McKenzie numbers). His live appearances also draw more responses (texts, tweets, emails) - positive and negative - than anyone else, *period*. He'll have a regular radio show in a few years if that's what he wants.
Not in my opinion, without seeing the numbers it is impossible to interpret but I would guess numbers would go down if he was on the air as much Bob or Ray or Jpat, Nothing is stopping him going on the radio a lot more right now. Is he even a regular fill-in host?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Not in my opinion, without seeing the numbers it is impossible to interpret but I would guess numbers would go down if he was on the air as much Bob or Ray or Jpat, Nothing is stopping him going on the radio a lot more right now. Is he even a regular fill-in host?

That's a fair point about the infrequency of his hits. He's not a fill-in host, but he has a weekly show on weekends. Kind of like the show the Kurtenbloggers had before they got their full time gig.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sportsnet 650 should go back into the vault and bring all those old CISL oldies out of mothballs....I assume they inherited them when Rogers bought the station......I mean Red Robinson's 'Red Rock Diner' has to be a big improvement on this.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
At least there's the NFL free agency to talk about.
I barely listen to talk radio these days, but all I remember is that most of the 1040 guys really lacked on league wide NFL knowledge outside of Sekeras. It’s one of the downsides to the local sports media market just being all-in on the NHL outside of some casual Lions/Whitecaps/Seahawks talk.

I wouldn’t be surprised if more than half of the radio guys in Vancouver didn’t know Byron Jones was a NFL star.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I barely listen to talk radio these days, but all I remember is that most of the 1040 guys really lacked on league wide NFL knowledge outside of Sekeras. It’s one of the downsides to the local sports media market just being all-in on the NHL outside of some casual Lions/Whitecaps/Seahawks talk.

I wouldn’t be surprised if more than half of the radio guys in Vancouver didn’t know Byron Jones was a NFL star.

They are okay when talking about the on-the-field product, but are absolutely awful when it comes to things like trades, contracts, the draft, the salary cap or anything like that. Some of the ideas I hear get brought up in regards to these topics on the show are completely nonsensical.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I’ve never had the appeal to listen to Joe schmo talk sports on the radio or tv. I can pluck anyone off the street, who watches hockey, and get pretty similar takes half the time.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
We made the big time Twitter deal. Hey JD, you are not likeable and you are hurting your brand. Some free advice.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
@WTG had his post make JD’s Twitter. I’m not sure how much weight is behind your claim, so I am curious how JD is doing so. I don’t follow boring media personalities.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Thanks to the lockdown, advertisers like car dealers and junket travel have all but dried up. Instead we get even more vultures like Alpine Credits and Capital Direct. Just be honest and say they are targeting the insolvent and desperate ones.

Australian football was shown on TV. But it was played in an empty stadium.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Thanks to the lockdown, advertisers like car dealers and junket travel have all but dried up. Instead we get even more vultures like Alpine Credits and Capital Direct. Just be honest and say they are targeting the insolvent and desperate ones.

Logistically it is a lot easier because the teams are, for the most part a lot closer together. It looks like super rugby is heading to have pools play a round-robin within themselves in empty stadiums with no inter-division games so an Au pool an NZ pool and an SA pool
The Worriers of the NRL are currently all staying on the road indefinitely living in another city in a different country to keep the season going

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

And now AFL shuts down:dunno:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

May be Alpine Credits and Capital Direct don't pay extra for the time slot. 1040 hosts just don't want to talk 55 mins per hour. BTW. it seems that TSN temporarily laid off the SportsCentre dept. The radio side may be follow suit :help:

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
@WTG had his post make JD’s Twitter. I’m not sure how much weight is behind your claim, so I am curious how JD is doing so. I don’t follow boring media personalities.

I went and looked at what he actually posted.
I read too much into a semi-ironic tweet and blew it into something he did not support. Honestly, this is 100% my fault and you are right I should have done my research prior to making a post. The posts I made were emotionally charged and wrong.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Don't anyone listen TSN1040 Donnie & The Moj? Last week, Moj went to a function that one of the attendee had the coronvirus. However, he will be back on tha air today. What is wrong with them?:popcorn:

Last edited:

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
May be Alpine Credits and Capital Direct don't pay extra for the time slot. 1040 hosts just don't want to talk 55 mins per hour. BTW. it seems that TSN temporarily laid off the SportsCentre dept. The radio side may be follow suit :help:
You seem to imply there are only about 5 minutes of commercials per hour. While radio used to have limits on advertising per hour (TV is at 12 minutes still), now there is no limit. Between product placements, voice over spots, and commercials,I would guess there is about 25 minutes per hour or more on a typical 1040 show. I really like that part of the Sekeres_Price show where Matt says just the traffic and then on with the show,nooooo commercials! Then he goes right into a product placement and the traffic update includes an advertisement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad