Vancouver Sports Media III

member 290103

You seem to imply there are only about 5 minutes of commercials per hour. While radio used to have limits on advertising per hour (TV is at 12 minutes still), now there is no limit. Between product placements, voice over spots, and commercials,I would guess there is about 25 minutes per hour or more on a typical 1040 show. I really like that part of the Sekeres_Price show where Matt says just the traffic and then on with the show,nooooo commercials! Then he goes right into a product placement and the traffic update includes an advertisement.

....and of that 25 minutes on Donnie and the Mof, about 5 is actual sports talk. The rest is big Ry giggling at a dumb joke, Moj name dropping from some party he went to and Don’t talking about some restaurant that was great in the 80s.

Reactions: cabinessence

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
....and of that 25 minutes on Donnie and the Mof, about 5 is actual sports talk. The rest is big Ry giggling at a dumb joke, Moj name dropping from some party he went to and Don’t talking about some restaurant that was great in the 80s.
Yep...really hard to understand what happened to Donnie Taylor.

So many of his former colleagues at the old CKVU Sportspage, like Dave Ransdorf, Jamie Campbell and John Shorthouse who have gone on to great things. But here he sits, tethered to the Moj on afternoon show, which is definitely second or third tier in terms of sportstalk radio in Canada.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Donnie and the Moj is completely unaffected by the pandemic. Now they just have an excuse to spend 80% of the show on celebrity birthdays, cracking jokes and poking fun at each other and talking about food or TV shows.

Reactions: Peen and Huggy43

member 290103

Donnie and the Moj is completely unaffected by the pandemic. Now they just have an excuse to spend 80% of the show on celebrity birthdays, cracking jokes and poking fun at each other and talking about food or TV shows.

Exactly. If anything, they are probably enjoying there being no sports.....it's such a frustrating show....I'll tune in on my lunch hour to the "blue and green lunch," which is comprised of non-sports banter, DTMZ and Birthdays. I really do miss the days when Sekeres and Price worked that time slot.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
I barely listen to talk radio these days, but all I remember is that most of the 1040 guys really lacked on league wide NFL knowledge outside of Sekeras. It’s one of the downsides to the local sports media market just being all-in on the NHL outside of some casual Lions/Whitecaps/Seahawks talk.

I wouldn’t be surprised if more than half of the radio guys in Vancouver didn’t know Byron Jones was a NFL star.
Moj does know a fair bit about football too. Would like some more variety ESPECIALLY in NHL offseason. Guys call in and say they want canucks 24/7 but seriously how many times in July and August every year can you beat a dead horse and talk about how bad Loui is. I really wish they would dive more into the Whitecaps outside MDS hit on Mondays after games or get Peter Schaad on more. Same with Lions and Seahawks, get more Lulay and more former Seahawks or guys that know stuff about the team and league and dive into it more. Love the Canucks but its hard to listen to the same thing talked about from 6am-6pm every day.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Yep...really hard to understand what happened to Donnie Taylor.

So many of his former colleagues at the old CKVU Sportspage, like Dave Ransdorf, Jamie Campbell and John Shorthouse who have gone on to great things. But here he sits, tethered to the Moj on afternoon show, which is definitely second or third tier in terms of sportstalk radio in Canada.

Pretty sure Jamie Campbell never worked at CKVU.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pretty sure Jamie Campbell never worked at CKVU.
I don't remember him being there either. Have to check his bio on that.

Dave Randorf is another alum, moved to TSN and then to SN to do hockey play by play. Sean McCormick, moved onto SN before the Page went off the air, and I believe he's married to Jennifer Hedger and tried a run a city politics in Toronto but didn't win. Spent the decade in sales. Paul Carson started up the Team1040. Chris Hebb is now President of the BCHL. Barry MacDonald was on TSN but is suffering from Depression so hasn't been on air in a few years now. Jay Durant is with Global News in Vancouver. Add in Blake Price and Dan Murphy as well. It was a launching pad to Vancouver sports media.

Taylor is comfortable with his life in Vancouver. Never made the move out East like his younger Sports Page alumi. Dude is like 60 now. Just taking it easy. Nothing wrong with that if you are comfortable in your life. But, I do wish the quality of his radio show was better. There's a balance to be brought to a sports talk show between sports and entertainment, but he skews too much away from sports IMO.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
I don't remember him being there either. Have to check his bio on that.

Dave Randorf is another alum, moved to TSN and then to SN to do hockey play by play. Sean McCormick, moved onto SN before the Page went off the air, and I believe he's married to Jennifer Hedger and tried a run a city politics in Toronto but didn't win. Spent the decade in sales. Paul Carson started up the Team1040. Chris Hebb is now President of the BCHL. Barry MacDonald was on TSN but is suffering from Depression so hasn't been on air in a few years now. Jay Durant is with Global News in Vancouver. Add in Blake Price and Dan Murphy as well. It was a launching pad to Vancouver sports media.

Taylor is comfortable with his life in Vancouver. Never made the move out East like his younger Sports Page alumi. Dude is like 60 now. Just taking it easy. Nothing wrong with that if you are comfortable in your life. But, I do wish the quality of his radio show was better. There's a balance to be brought to a sports talk show between sports and entertainment, but he skews too much away from sports IMO.
Don't forget Taylor was the anchor on Sportsnet West for many years and had quite a high profile while doing the radio gig at the same time. Once he got canned from the TV gig it seems he though he had made enough money and put in enough time to coast for the rest of his time. Does anyone remember Don doing play by play for the Voodoo? Pretty entertaining!

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Do people still listen to TSN 1040? It seems that some of the tsn analysts (dreger, button .....) who are still with them are working without pay :popcorn:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Do people still listen to TSN 1040? It seems that some of the tsn analysts (dreger, button .....) who are still with them are working without pay :popcorn:

Where did you hear that they are working without pay? I assume that they are both have contracts. I'm also under the impression that they get extra for appearing on those local radio appearances.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I haven't listened to one second of local radio since the NHL season got "paused".

Reactions: Luckylarry

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Anyone else listen to TSN 1040's top 40 moments from TSN/TEAM 1040's history?

Lots of fun memories there, some before I started listening. Great to hear Botch's laugh and personality in his clips. I'm sure it's available in podcast form or through their social media. Hosted by Jeff Paterson.

Reactions: Fedz

member 290103

Anyone else listen to TSN 1040's top 40 moments from TSN/TEAM 1040's history?

Lots of fun memories there, some before I started listening. Great to hear Botch's laugh and personality in his clips. I'm sure it's available in podcast form or through their social media. Hosted by Jeff Paterson.

The botch/Ferraro fight was great...Ferraro ending the interview. Loved the Price vs Sekeres snow tire fight. Sekeres such a spazz sometimes.

Reactions: Fedz and rypper

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Was the Gallagher/Suits argument on there? That's a holy grail I've been searching for over the last decade.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Donnie and the Moj seem to be off all month. I don't understand, this is prime time to be discussing things like triscuits vs. Ritz vs. premium plus vs. stone wheat thins. With no sports they aren't obligated to spend a few minutes talking about them every hour!

member 290103

Was the Gallagher/Suits argument on there? That's a holy grail I've been searching for over the last decade.

I don’t think so? I can’t remember it. One great story Suitor told was with regard to a weekend party at Matt Dunigans...which was great, but I can’t find it either.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
I don’t think so? I can’t remember it. One great story Suitor told was with regard to a weekend party at Matt Dunigans...which was great, but I can’t find it either.
It was great where Gallagher wrote a column criticizing CFL players winning the grey Cup in an 8 team league and potentially just 2 playoff games. Suitor turned it around like Tony was saying CFL players weren't great athletes. A great back and forth moderated by Pratt if I recall.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I know this is an unpopular opinion but I miss dave pratt being on the radio. I know he’s got some podcast but that’s just not the same.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I know this is an unpopular opinion but I miss dave pratt being on the radio. I know he’s got some podcast but that’s just not the same.

I like Pratt much more than Moj. The way Moj interviews is irritating. He does let his guests talk but his tone when asking questions is like a guy who hates you questioning you.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I like Pratt much more than Moj.
I like moj too. Part of the fun with moj is seeing him fall haha

1- 2004 while working for mojo radio, he guarantees on air that the Yankees will not blow their 3-0 lead over Boston in the alcs. Boston makes history. Thanks moj.
2- moj falls ass over tea kettle cause of a sign at the lions game. Hilarity!

3- moj name drops talking to David Pastrnak during 2013 cup final despite Pastrnak not being drafted till years later. Taylor dunks on moj and calls him out on air. Awesome.

Reactions: Fedz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad