Vancouver Sports Media III

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Without Botch, it just really shows how much he meant to the market.

I am very disappointed by Drance. I thought/hoped he would at least somewhat replace Jason but it turned out he is just a homer beat guy that barely provides any inside takes. Is there anything he actually broke? Right now he is just a guy who has fluff pieces for the masses, like that weird thing with Boeser and all the goalies he scored on - it was a nice, funny piece but honestly thats more for the 11 year old fan than anyone else and not really what I want to read from the main VAN athletics reporter.

That's an unfair comment. Botch was unique to this market. He also built up connections where he did have some "insider information." Drance was never a guy you relied upon for insider information. He wrote about hockey but he wasn't known to be well-connected. I think most of us knew him from this Canucks Army days and that publication/website was not known to be a source for breaking news or insider information. With Florida he was a PR guy essentially.

I'm not sure what you were expecting if you read the stuff he wrote in his CA days. He's more of a journalist than a editorial writer.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With any luck, one of the two sport-stalk radio stations will go into permanent 'self isolation' during this crisis, and only one will emerge.In that case, hoping it would be TSN 1040.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
With any luck, one of the two sport-stalk radio stations will go into permanent 'self isolation' during this crisis, and only one will emerge.In that case, hoping it would be TSN 1040.

Has to be hard on Sportsnet, the only thing they have going is canucks games...

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Walker and Shah defending the Canucks not committing to paying their workers tells you all you need to know about them and 650.

They're simply corporate tools and that's it.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Walker and Shah defending the Canucks not committing to paying their workers tells you all you need to know about them and 650.

They're simply corporate tools and that's it.

Do you mind elaboratong on that? I didnt listen to that segment and im genuinely curious on what grounds they defended it. Or even why they were discussing it.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Do you mind elaboratong on that? I didnt listen to that segment and im genuinely curious on what grounds they defended it. Or even why they were discussing it.
You can see it on their twitter pages. Defending the Canucks inaction, saying they don't owe anyone anything. Making vague references to plans to try and diffuse the sceptics, without providing any actual details.

Overall just attempting to create goodwill for the Canucks, without the Canucks having to do the right thing and support their staff.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Since the Canucks staff aren't berry-pickers or foreign workers, there's still a chance they'll get paid.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Would any local Canucks fans actually be interested in doing a rally right at Rogers Arena in support of part time staff? Something to get the Aquilini's attention beyond social media.

Though I understand the mass gathering part might not be a good idea lol

Still, I absolutely feel we need to find a way to make our voices of support heard.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I used to work as a concession cashier at Rogers Arena.
The majority of them have to work multiple jobs...
Because there are not enough events at the stadium.
My worst paycheque was just one shift...
Because there was only one event that time.
If Canada gets shut down like the U.S. or Italy...
They are absolutely screwed.

The owners should just outright pay the workers during the disruption.
It is not enough...
But it will help...
And one cannot buy enough good P.R.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Some people are so sensitive
Blake Price is literally crying on twitter because the Canucks didn’t respond to them right away

It’s like the organization doesn’t have the right to take its time and discuss a plan

like ...look

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Blake Price is literally crying on twitter because the Canucks didn’t respond to them right away

It’s like the organization doesn’t have the right to take its time and discuss a plan

like ...look

c'mon, MLSE can do it. You didn't need a plan, either the owners eat the cost or they don't. :popcorn:

Reactions: racerjoe

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
You can see it on their twitter pages. Defending the Canucks inaction, saying they don't owe anyone anything. Making vague references to plans to try and diffuse the sceptics, without providing any actual details.

Overall just attempting to create goodwill for the Canucks, without the Canucks having to do the right thing and support their staff.

Man... I understand Sat wanting to defend his employment but I don’t agree with him here.

sportsnet is downright pathetic. Andrew Walker being on is me automatically listen to something else. I’d rather listen to 94.5 lol.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I used to work as a concession cashier at Rogers Arena.
The majority of them have to work multiple jobs...
Because there are not enough events at the stadium.
My worst paycheque was just one shift...
Because there was only one event that time.
If Canada gets shut down like the U.S. or Italy...
They are absolutely screwed.

The owners should just outright pay the workers during the disruption.
It is not enough...
But it will help...
And one cannot buy enough good P.R.
You're alive!

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

like ...look

What’s the plan? Treating their employees like shit and having their rights holder owned radio station broadcast how great they are?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

What's the reason for suggesting an employer only paying workers for actually working is indefensible?

Reactions: cabinessence

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
What's the reason for suggesting an employer only paying workers for actually working is indefensible?
That's not their position. Their position has been to attack those critical of the Canucks.

Shah even says organizations should step up like Cuban has. But at the same time he's attacking people saying the Canucks should do better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad