Vancouver Sports Media III

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I like moj too. Part of the fun with moj is seeing him fall haha

1- 2004 while working for mojo radio, he guarantees on air that the Yankees will not blow their 3-0 lead over Boston in the alcs. Boston makes history. Thanks moj.
2- moj falls ass over tea kettle cause of a sign at the lions game. Hilarity!

3- moj name drops talking to David Pastrnak during 2013 cup final despite Pastrnak not being drafted till years later. Taylor dunks on moj and calls him out on air. Awesome.
Gillis getting in a subtle jab at Moj on air was like a top 5 moment in Vancouver sports radio history.

Reactions: Huggy43 and F A N

member 290103

Donnie and the Moj seem to be off all month. I don't understand, this is prime time to be discussing things like triscuits vs. Ritz vs. premium plus vs. stone wheat thins. With no sports they aren't obligated to spend a few minutes talking about them every hour!

Yes! I’d have thought they’d have loved the topic choices available!

member 290103

I like moj too. Part of the fun with moj is seeing him fall haha

1- 2004 while working for mojo radio, he guarantees on air that the Yankees will not blow their 3-0 lead over Boston in the alcs. Boston makes history. Thanks moj.
2- moj falls ass over tea kettle cause of a sign at the lions game. Hilarity!

3- moj name drops talking to David Pastrnak during 2013 cup final despite Pastrnak not being drafted till years later. Taylor dunks on moj and calls him out on air. Awesome.

Ive been down on Taylor for being too disengaged from sports but when he hacks on Moj....it’s excellent. Moj is so thin skinned.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I love the part of Beth Bartkowski's interview where she's talking about the food served at Canucks events how she just couldn't stop eating the sushi.

A man in a suit came up and agreed with her saying he couldn't resist eating all the sushi too. They joked about needing to join a sushi anonymous support group.

Then she asked him who he was and what he did, he said "I'm Jim Benning the general manager of the team."

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Gillis getting in a subtle jab at Moj on air was like a top 5 moment in Vancouver sports radio history.
I don’t think that that jab at moj gets to retire as subtle though. That was ruthless.
“That guy eating all of the food in the pressbox?”

Omg

I nominate moj for that award about perseverance and bouncing back shit.

“bill masterson trophy”?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Donnie and the Moj seem to be off all month. I don't understand, this is prime time to be discussing things like triscuits vs. Ritz vs. premium plus vs. stone wheat thins. With no sports they aren't obligated to spend a few minutes talking about them every hour!
1040 cutting costs, so reducing local production. I doubt they are back.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
1040 cutting costs, so reducing local production. I doubt they are back.
The hosts are under contract, so it's not like the station can simply lay them off, pay a couple months severance and be done. Probably asking them to use up all of their vacation time first and then see where things stand. If it makes sense to buy out the remainder of their contract, then they will do that.

Most people in the tourism industry had to do that before they got laid off.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The hosts are under contract, so it's not like the station can simply lay them off, pay a couple months severance and be done. Probably asking them to use up all of their vacation time first and then see where things stand. If it makes sense to buy out the remainder of their contract, then they will do that.

Most people in the tourism industry had to do that before they got laid off.
Maybe 1040 saves more money by cutting the show (while fulfilling the hosts’ contracts) than by running the broadcast?
Are you sure the two hosts have contracts beyond June?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The station had previously announced that Donny/Moj were just asked to take their vacation time now and would be back April 27th, so I assume that's still the plan.

What are they even playing on the stations? I flipped past 1040 the other day and it seemed like they were playing a Seahawks/Packers game from years ago. Figured it was the game with the wild ending but still unclear why someone would want to listen to that on the radio. Very strange.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The station had previously announced that Donny/Moj were just asked to take their vacation time now and would be back April 27th, so I assume that's still the plan.

What are they even playing on the stations? I flipped past 1040 the other day and it seemed like they were playing a Seahawks/Packers game from years ago. Figured it was the game with the wild ending but still unclear why someone would want to listen to that on the radio. Very strange.

Was it the weekend?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
no idea. If I had to guess, I would say $75,000 to $150,000 depending on experience.

Are you sure? I was thinking they were not paid that much overall but of course worked only a few hours a day (not including preparation time).

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don’t think that that jab at moj gets to retire as subtle though. That was ruthless.
“That guy eating all of the food in the pressbox?”

Omg

I nominate moj for that award about perseverance and bouncing back shit.

“bill masterson trophy”?
Yeah, I know Gillis was trying to make a joke but I felt it was savage even at the time. :laugh:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

That makes perfect business sense. Nothing really to talk about on the radio that is sports related. Best to get that Liability (Vacation Payable) off the financial statements. Would expect once they are back, they ask the same for the other 2 shows. Probably just rotate Donnie and Moj into either the morning or afternoon time slot while the other group is taking their vacation days.

Reactions: m9

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If Donny/Moj get paid that much they are robbing 1040! lol
It’s at least that. Dave Pratt held out for $500k which they did not pay , so I have to think he must have been making at least half that , and that was like 6-7 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad