Vancouver Sports Media III

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Anyone else here remember The Taylor Dhaliwal Report back in 2000-2001 when Taylor hosted the Sports Grill on CKNW and Dhaliwal was the producer? It was the year Burke had Russell canned from NW. Their banter back and forth was quite entertaining, I think I'll probably have to check this one out even though I don't normally listen to sports radio anymore.

Reactions: Buck Dancer

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I completely agree. Sat Shah seems like a great guy and almost always has great takes, but he's not cut out to host. I find myself losing interesting in anything he is saying when he talks. It's like he memorizes a script and just continually repeats it - his delivery is devoid of any semblance of off the cuff. I was excited for his show on 650, based on his work on 1040, but I found he was better in limited quantities and usually only as an offset to the raging lunatic fest of Bro/Pratt.

That intermission with Murphy, Shah and Mcyntire is horrible.

I agree. Sat sounds like a kid who is so excited to get a chance to talk and Jawn ends up matching his pace. I've said this before, in terms of Words/60 Sat's show wins and it's not even close.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
1st paragraph big agree, but Sat is brutally boring on TV or radio. And It sometimes seems like he's just repeating other people's data, because he doesn't always sound like he know what hes talking about.

Dhaliwal and Don taylor sounds like a terrible combo and more reasons to skip that afternoon show.

One of the best radio hosts that needs to replace one of the many terrible ones in this city is Blake price. He was okay on TV too but he's great for radio.

Did they actually pair Taylor and dhaliwal?

They worked together on the sports grill on 980, taking Dan Russell's spot. It was a good show actually, but it was also 2 decades ago.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Auld is the only Vancouver sports media personality who doesn't instinctively make me feel like I need to protect my wallet in their presence. The rest of them are interchangeable soulless shills. Especially the young ones with the high pitches voices.

They're like boobs in a bar who you're all excited when you find out they're into hockey and then cringe when they start talking about it. After all, where do those types get their perception in the first place?

Reactions: Makar27 and MS

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Did they actually pair Taylor and dhaliwal?

They worked together on the sports grill on 980, taking Dan Russell's spot. It was a good show actually, but it was also 2 decades ago.

That is back when Taylor actually kept up with sports and had some energy.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
I’m obviously in the minority In this thread.. I really like Walker’s voice....
He sounds... national.
I don’t know if that makes sense... he’s polished and professional. I like that.

I agree. So many of the other shows sound like College Podcasts. Its hard to listen to. They obviously know their stuff, just need to present it in a more polished format.

If I was SN650 I'd do this:
Perry/James 6-9AM
Simulcast Hockeycentral 9-10AM
Rintoul/Shah/Jawnda 10-2
Riccio/Walker 2-6

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I’m obviously in the minority In this thread.. I really like Walker’s voice....
He sounds... national.
I don’t know if that makes sense... he’s polished and professional. I like that.
And that's the exact reason why he's hired.

It's very Fox News'ish.

Polished, professional and BS content.

He's the perfect front man for whomever is running things at the Canucks because he personally doesn't give two craps about the hockey team and therefore is willing to say whatever people tell him to say about the team.

From a media strategy / propaganda perspective, it's a tried and true strategy.

Trevor tried this hat on (accidentally/on purpose who knows) and it blew up in his face badly.

Reactions: I am toxic

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Anyone else here remember The Taylor Dhaliwal Report back in 2000-2001 when Taylor hosted the Sports Grill on CKNW and Dhaliwal was the producer? It was the year Burke had Russell canned from NW. Their banter back and forth was quite entertaining, I think I'll probably have to check this one out even though I don't normally listen to sports radio anymore.

I remember that....The Grill with grivia! I remember a caller complaining to DT that he missed some sort of feature or thing that Dan Russll used to do , and DT snapped, well then go listen to Dan on that internet show he's got going now (implying that the internet was a medium few listened to).

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

member 290103

That is back when Taylor actually kept up with sports and had some energy.

Taylor seems like a nice enough guy but he basically runs his show for his own personal amusement now. He will be done in short order, imo. Sad..

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Taylor seems like a nice enough guy but he basically runs his show for his own personal amusement now. He will be done in short order, imo. Sad..

I haven't heard it in years but like Dan Russell it is all nostalgia.

Taylor used to be beloved in BC from Sportspage and then his show with Pratt and Sportsnet. He is barely relevant now.

Reactions: Makar27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad