Vancouver Sports Media III

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Disagree with this post - find Taylor and Moj are just there to entertain each other and they lose sight of the fact that we are tuning in for Sports Talk radio - not to hear about their favorite 80's strip bar or to listen to them hack on Big Ry. The fact that the "Blue and Green" lunch is composed of segments like "DTMZ" and "Birthdays!" is absurd. These guys just need to pack it in and go get their jollies over coffee at Tim Hortons daily, like the rest of the retired folk.

I hear you to a degree on Sekeres and it took me some time to get past the fact he is a bit pompous, but he is highly educated in a variety of different sports and has good, reasoned takes. The show does have some really boring segments (that stupid segment where they debate each other is Donnie/Moj level nonsense), but by and large the show is solid.

Good take here and then you went to this?

Halford and Brough is the best show going right now......they just have to keep focused and not drift off to Donnie/Moj land.

I find them alsmot unbearable to listen to, not as bad as Bro Jake but hardly the best show out there but I guess that's why Mario's Gelato has over 250 flavours eh?

Over the years, I have noticed that sometimes these hosts get so full of themselves they forget what got them to where they are. Dan Russell is the biggest example of this. He thought he was so important and beloved that he could just turn his show into his own soapbox to air his personal grievances and he forgot that people tuned in were basically Canuck fans and grew tired of listening to his hater talk. That no one has ever re-hired him is telling. If you go to his twitter, you'll find a clue why - it's incredibly partisan and it's clear he would probably not change were he to be given a second chance.

(In it's day though, Dan Russell Sportstalk was as good as any radio, ever, imo).

Russel was good, grew up on listening to him delivering chinese food and pizza and loved when the Poet was on, heck even the Pauser was entertaining if one is charitable.

Reactions: Buck Dancer

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
didnt team1040 used to broadcast live on tv simultaneously on sportsnet a few years back. weather it was don taylor with pratt. price with sekeres or bmac with whomever? what happended to it.
Yup, and didn't Pratt walk off the show due to a hissy fit with Taylor? Pratt believed poker players were athletes, Taylor didn't. I think this happened during the simulcast.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Actually the Walker/Rentool show is the best one in the Canucks market right now as they seem to have chemistry and interesting takes and the right balance of sports and entertainment...mind you the bar in Vancouver isn't very high right now.

In case you missed the news, they aren't a duo anymore.

Reactions: The Drop

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Good take here and then you went to this?

I find them alsmot unbearable to listen to, not as bad as Bro Jake but hardly the best show out there but I guess that's why Mario's Gelato has over 250 flavours eh?

Russel was good, grew up on listening to him delivering chinese food and pizza and loved when the Poet was on, heck even the Pauser was entertaining if one is charitable.
The Poet!! Had some amazing lines in that Barney Rubble voice like, "Let me tell you Craig Coxe/You can't pick up points in the penalty box"

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ya I missed that, I guess I'll have to find a new show to listen to on the drive home or music.
With Sat doing Canucks game day it made more sense for him to be moved off the 9am time slot. Long day when it’s a home game.
Rintoul, family man so the switch makes sense for him despite leaving the more coveted time slot. Gets to eat dinner with the family. Plus, he’s doing his show solo for now.

not sure if the walker and Sat duo will be a good one. Recall listening to them during the summer when rintoul was on vacation. Just so so.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
While we are being nostalgic, I miss Sports Page. Yuling with the page was always must see TV, I remember one year where Linden was asking the team what they wanted for Christmas, and he then comes to Pavel. "Pavel what do you want for Christmas?" Pavel Answers back "Great" Without missing a beat Linden "Gino, Gino, what do you want for Chrismas?"

Or the time there was all of the lockouts and they had "The Search for sports" Which was a clip show that seemed to always end with the guys coming out of the Penthouse.

I also remember lying in bed and listening to SportsTalk radio late at night especially during the playoff when they would keep him on. good times.

Seems like most local media now is pretty crap. I have been listening to the White Towel podcast and they seem to always just miss the context of what is happening. Listen to a few others to, but never as good as it was... Man do I feel old now.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
While we are being nostalgic, I miss Sports Page. Yuling with the page was always must see TV, I remember one year where Linden was asking the team what they wanted for Christmas, and he then comes to Pavel. "Pavel what do you want for Christmas?" Pavel Answers back "Great" Without missing a beat Linden "Gino, Gino, what do you want for Chrismas?"

Or the time there was all of the lockouts and they had "The Search for sports" Which was a clip show that seemed to always end with the guys coming out of the Penthouse.

I also remember lying in bed and listening to SportsTalk radio late at night especially during the playoff when they would keep him on. good times.

Seems like most local media now is pretty crap. I have been listening to the White Towel podcast and they seem to always just miss the context of what is happening. Listen to a few others to, but never as good as it was... Man do I feel old now.
Actually Pave's answer was "Millions goals."

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
I'm gonna say it again, Wyatt Arndt should be the main one doing The Armies. He's the only one who gets what The Athletties/Provies were about. They're a fun, soft recap of the game with jokes and fan reaction sprinkled throughout.

Really, they're more of a running chronicle of fan reaction throughout the game than anything with running jokes, gags and grievances.

Drance and Dayal are not capable of doing that. They're too straightforward to handle it, particularly Dayal.

Reactions: Josepho and vanuck

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
If you think anyone is going to replicate the Athletties, then I’m not surprised why you don’t enjoy the articles.

even Wyatts columns can’t touch the originals.

The sooner you realize that you’re not getting the same type of writing, the sooner you may enjoy the new stuff.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
If you think anyone is going to replicate the Athletties, then I’m not surprised why you don’t enjoy the articles.

even Wyatts columns can’t touch the originals.

The sooner you realize that you’re not getting the same type of writing, the sooner you may enjoy the new stuff.
Then don't call it something in honor of Botch. They wanted to piggy back instead of doing their own thing. I didn't make them do that.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Dayal seems like a smart enough and decent dude but I really don't see him as remotely capable of filling in that sort of role, at least not now.

Wyatt's definitely the best of the trio and he should be doing it full-time.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Just do something new. The Athletties lived and died with Botch. Botch WAS the Athletties. I understand they want to keep it alive for traffic purposes, but it's just not going to work in my opinion, as good as Wyatt is.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
For the old geezers among us, there is an article in the Province today that made me nostalgic for sports journalism 50 years ago. It is at Canucks fans’ ‘torture’ started right away with legal battle over NHL entry

The best part for me was seeing some old Jim Taylor comments, including

"I liked hockey better when it was my team against your team and not my lawyers versus your lawyers. Fifteen minutes into the Vancouver Canucks’ press conference yesterday the room was so thick with red tape you could barely cut through to the coffee."

"... they don’t need Gilbert Perrault. Their No. 1 pick in the amateur draft should be a 50-goal-scoring college grad with a degree in corporate law and a minor in chicanery."

“Put names and bodies inside those kelly green, royal blue and white uniforms and you couldn’t distract hockey fans with a wrestling match between Coley Hall and Joe Crozier with the loser to leave town."

There was a reference to the esteem Bobby Orr was held in:

"Fortunately there was time after the struggle down from the heights of corporate structure to talk honest to Orr hockey talk ..."

To me those were the good old days and I still miss Jim Taylor.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Win or lose, triumph or tragedy, over the years I've always tuned in the Canucks radio post-game show. But just can't cut it anymore. Sportsnet 650's post game show is a new low for post-game sports radio. Two guys, fresh out of radio journalism school, who natter on aimlessly mouthing every cliche and platitude they can conjure up.

I'll catch the coach's post-game comments on some other venue. I'm officially done.

Reactions: lindgren

member 290103

Win or lose, triumph or tragedy, over the years I've always tuned in the Canucks radio post-game show. But just can't cut it anymore. Sportsnet 650's post game show is a new low for post-game sports radio. Two guys, fresh out of radio journalism school, who natter on aimlessly mouthing every cliche and platitude they can conjure up.

I'll catch the coach's post-game comments on some other venue. I'm officially done.

the 1040 post game show is pretty good, from when I have had it on. It's usually Blake Price with JPat. As usual, 1040 worlds better than 650. I continue to be astonished at just how badly 650 mess up the chance to capitalize on listeners that were ready to make a change from the likes of Pratt, Taylor, Moj.

In fact, 1040 improved with 650 coming in - the morning show is no longer a complete joke and they put their weak spot right in the middle of the day. If only they could terminate Big Ry and bring in a producer that was willing to put the old men in line and get them to stop talking about the best hot dog topping and what celebrity they have the biggest crush on. The mid day show is basically only 50% sports talk.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
If only they could terminate Big Ry and bring in a producer that was willing to put the old men in line and get them to stop talking about the best hot dog topping and what celebrity they have the biggest crush on. The mid day show is basically only 50% sports talk.

I don't mean to single you out, as many posters have said roughly the same thing, but the show content is decided by the program director and other higher ups. They believe that the audience likes this stuff. It has very little to do with the producer of the individual show.

Going back to the days when Pratt and Moj were co-hosting, the decision makers have shown that they believe the hard-core sports audience is limited, and hosts need to keep things light. I don't like it at all, but they believe listeners like you and me are in the minority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad