Vancouver Sports Media III

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
but they kept that shmuck Andrew walker

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
There's one glaringly obvious difference between Walker and Dhaliwal, and it isn't the quality of their content or work ethic
I'd like to think that his background has nothing to do with this decision but man...

Reactions: sexydonut

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I'd like to think that his background has nothing to do with this decision but man...

I don’t know, personally I feel like Ricks act was getting stale and he outside of being our best insider was always just hammering his co-hosts over and over again without much good discussion, he was very opinionated but on a day in day out basis lacked substance

I don’t doubt he will bounce back somewhere soon but he will need to evolve a bit

Just my take

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don’t know, personally I feel like Ricks act was getting stale and he outside of being our best insider was always just hammering his co-hosts over and over again without much good discussion, he was very opinionated but on a day in day out basis lacked substance

I don’t doubt he will bounce back somewhere soon but he will need to evolve a bit

Just my take

I agree. He's more like an obnoxious version of Don Taylor with actual insider info. So he's well connected and buddy buddy with the guys he interviews but kind of mean the rest of the time. Also a very bad radio voice. I think he's better off as a guest insider/analyst. Kind of wasted as a radio host.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I thought Hirsch was actually pretty decent when he was being used as an intermission analyst on Sportsnet a couple years back but he's just woefully miscast as a colour commentator.

Being able to prepare a take ahead of time and then delivering it over a couple minutes in a studio is a completely different aptitude from being able to weave into games as a colour guy and provide succinct analysis on the spot.

he's just not quick enough on his feet for the gig, unfortunately.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i liked dhaliwal better when he was with news1130 pushing dry fact news, but it sucks for him to be cut loose.

sportsnet i assume is finally being forced to address that insane tv deal.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
thank gawd... I cant bear to listen to another quip about the freakin CX5

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Walker at least says conversation 25 times per hour, and Rintoul is in the conversation as well (which seems to be the station's sponsor). Rick just relied on the sudden Don Cheery voice and playing the crazy Crown Royale dude.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Is Rintoul somehow involved? I heard Friedman wish him luck in "his new (iteration?)" and they glazed over it. Maybe a bit of a shuffle coming.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Is Rintoul somehow involved? I heard Friedman wish him luck in "his new (iteration?)" and they glazed over it. Maybe a bit of a shuffle coming.
Yeah that was strange to me too. So he’s either moving to a different station or they’re moving him to a different slot on 650? I’m definitely in the minority but I don’t mind Walker and Rintoul together.

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019

Apparently he’s shifting to the 9am to 12pm time slot with his own show.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Yeah that was strange to me too. So he’s either moving to a different station or they’re moving him to a different slot on 650? I’m definitely in the minority but I don’t mind Walker and Rintoul together.

Yeah, Rintoul and Walker is the only show I can listen to on SN650. The other shows are so unpolished. Its like litening to College Podcasts. At the very least, those guys know how to hold a radio show.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I honestly tried to listen to Sportstalk radio on Sportsnet 650, but just couldn't stomach it. I liked it better when it was an 'oldies station'.

So unfortunately these names mean nothing to me. Always unfortunate though when people lose their jobs, but I guess that's just the nature of the radio business.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
lol the morning show was already awful but dhaliwal at least contributed something. hopefully they are moving some substance to that spot.

member 290103

650 blew it. Had a chance to pick up and kick shitty shows like Donnie and the Moj to the curb and take listeners away but they gave us garbage.

There is not one listenable show on that station. It’s saying a lot when I tune into listen to complete horseshit radio like Big RY and DTMZ, rather than 650.

Reactions: VibinCanuck and m9

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah, Rintoul and Walker is the only show I can listen to on SN650. The other shows are so unpolished. Its like litening to College Podcasts. At the very least, those guys know how to hold a radio show.
Agreed..Rintoul and Walker are good..Fortunately, neither of them have the patience to pander to the 'knee-jerk,..'what if' crowd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad