Vancouver Sports Media III

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Such a weird day to make changes. Wouldn't it be more effective to unveil a whole new lineup to start the hockey season?

Yeah, I wonder if it lined up with poor Q3 fiscal numbers? If they operate on Dec 31 fiscal year end then this is exactly two weeks after a quarter has wrapped up and a good time to make decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: F A N

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Writing was on the wall for Rick from my time at Sportsnet. Jawn was probably the nicest guy there (aside from Sat) but where did he even come from, I know a lot of the 1040 guys had zero idea where he came from at all.

Cam Mitchell was also a great guy but Art is the main producer on that job so zero need for two.

I’m wondering if they maybe tried to use Irf in Ricks spot as he’s been let go off from TV.

member 290103

I despise Dan Russell, but if I was 650, I'd go to him and see if he would come back and run a show for a few hours a day.....I'd give him a chance, especially if he competed with the dismal "Donnie and the Moj" who are now more interested in entertaining themselves rather than their listeners. Maybe Dan could learn from his past mistakes? I do doubt it - checking on his twitter, he appears to be worse than ever.....but that's where 650 is at - almost anything would be an improvement.

member 290103

Rintoul from 9am to 12pm, will cause me to move over from 1040 from 10am to 12pm. 12pm to 2pm is still lost though. Reach Deep? No thanks.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Rintoul from 9am to 12pm, will cause me to move over from 1040 from 10am to 12pm. 12pm to 2pm is still lost though. Reach Deep? No thanks.
Is that not when halford and brough are in? You’re switching away from them? I thought they were the darlings around here.

member 290103

Is that not when halford and brough are in? You’re switching away from them? I thought they were the darlings around here.

No, they are still good until 10am. I guess I am getting old because I do find they have too much non-sports related content on their show. The best sports talk show, imo, is Maddog Chris Russo on Sirius 82. Nearly no non-sports related talk - pure sports. Just no hockey.

Reactions: I Am A Goon

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
No, they are still good until 10am. I guess I am getting old because I do find they have too much non-sports related content on their show. The best sports talk show, imo, is Maddog Chris Russo on Sirius 82. Nearly no non-sports related talk - pure sports. Just no hockey.
I enjoy the ones from the us who sound like they’re straight from the Chicago super fans skits. Mike North I think is one of them. I just enjoy listening to how he talks hah

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I despise Dan Russell, but if I was 650, I'd go to him and see if he would come back and run a show for a few hours a day.....I'd give him a chance, especially if he competed with the dismal "Donnie and the Moj" who are now more interested in entertaining themselves rather than their listeners. Maybe Dan could learn from his past mistakes? I do doubt it - checking on his twitter, he appears to be worse than ever.....but that's where 650 is at - almost anything would be an improvement.

Dan Russel can definitely run his own show but he's not really fit for modern times. He's condescending and likes to cut off callers when they don't agree with him. Honestly, he deserves to be out of a job.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
So how did Ryan Henderson get the job he had so young? Basically was producing the main show at 1040 at 19 or 20 and even got his own segments and commercials ...must have some sort of connections yes?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Am I the only one who only listens to podcasts? Like even TSN and SN, I just listen to the interviews and shows that interest me, And to them when it suits...
My day would basically be something like downloading the post-game from the night before, download the hits from Ray Ferraro, Bob mac, maybe a Jpat, Drancer, Fredman, Canucks lunch, Plus the one million other Podcasts. I also listen to other podcast topics, not just Hockey. And Spotify for music...
I do live 5 hours behind so that helps as most shows have played before launch. But I could not go back to listening to a radio station.

Reactions: m9

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
So how did Ryan Henderson get the job he had so young? Basically was producing the main show at 1040 at 19 or 20 and even got his own segments and commercials ...must have some sort of connections yes?

I seem to recall he came in as an intern for Taylor and McDonald and I guess they took a shine to him.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Am I the only one who only listens to podcasts? Like even TSN and SN, I just listen to the interviews and shows that interest me, And to them when it suits...
My day would basically be something like downloading the post-game from the night before, download the hits from Ray Ferraro, Bob mac, maybe a Jpat, Drancer, Fredman, Canucks lunch, Plus the one million other Podcasts. I also listen to other podcast topics, not just Hockey. And Spotify for music...
I do live 5 hours behind so that helps as most shows have played before launch. But I could not go back to listening to a radio station.

where do you get the podcasts from? Apple podcasts is very slow at updating their stuff

Reactions: Stories Tales Lies

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Yeah, I'm in my vehicle a lot for work and I'm always going through podcasts. Listen to the hits of a few 1040 shows and have a nice collection of hockey or Canuck related content.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Jawn and rick were both Extremely respectful people.
Let’s not forget also that they gave an average Joe like me an interview here for HF Boards.
Just goes to show a lot about their character.
Rick is one of those guys who are simply just one of the good guys

Reactions: vanuck and Jyrki21

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Writing was on the wall for Rick from my time at Sportsnet. Jawn was probably the nicest guy there (aside from Sat) but where did he even come from, I know a lot of the 1040 guys had zero idea where he came from at all.

Cam Mitchell was also a great guy but Art is the main producer on that job so zero need for two.

I’m wondering if they maybe tried to use Irf in Ricks spot as he’s been let go off from TV.
He was the "local grassroots hire" out of BCIT. I think Jawn is also pretty young - early 30s. So he will prob find other work.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The ability to stream music and podcasts is killing radio.

I assume the majority of the radio audience is 40+ in age

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The Larschcast is definitely garbage and that they abuse Larscheid's name to promote themselves is gross

Isn't their whole deal just positioning themselves as "anti-negs" who believe you aren't a true fan of the team unless you blindly cheer on every move good and bad?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The ability to stream music and podcasts is killing radio.

I assume the majority of the radio audience is 40+ in age
Very likely. Most people are not listening live, probably streaming just the sections that peak their interests later on.

Expected some shake up in the SN 650 group given the layoffs to kipper and others on the main network. Don’t require 3 guys on one show. I did wonder if SN would follow TSN in cutting the number of shows from 4 to 3 from the 6 to 6 hour. Doesn’t sound like that is the direction though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad