Vancouver Sports Media III

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He was the "local grassroots hire" out of BCIT. I think Jawn is also pretty young - early 30s. So he will prob find other work.

He wasn't hired out of BCIT and he's not yet 30. He worked at the Peak for a few years.

He'll definitely find some other work as he has a good radio voice. Question is whether he can afford to stay in this business and in Vancouver as there aren't that many jobs available. Sports talk radio is pretty cutthroat these days. Got to make a name for yourself.

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Jawn used to work for 102.7 the Peak. I took Radio at BCIT from 2013-2015, I don't believe Jawn ever took the program but I could be wrong.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
I’m currently a BCIT student and there’s been no talk about Jawn being in my program

Linkedin has him with a BCIT Broadcast and Media Communications Diploma in 2013, followed by stints at KJR, The Peak, JRfm and Cranbrook radio. I enjoyed listening to him and am sure he will resurface soon.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Jawn and rick were both Extremely respectful people.
Let’s not forget also that they gave an average Joe like me an interview here for HF Boards.
Just goes to show a lot about their character.
Rick is one of those guys who are simply just one of the good guys

First rule of pro sports, if you start listening to the peanut gallery then soon you’ll be joining them.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Dhaliwal is so bad on radio. He’s in the Don Cherry and Dave Pratt category. Dumb, loud mouth, insulting everyone, sucks up to agents/players and pretends to be their buddy. I don’t wish anything bad against him and he obviously has more “insider” connections than anyone, but I’m not a fan of his style at all.

I much prefer a logical, level headed person who’s passionate about the Canucks and the sport. To me Sat Shah is obviously the best radio personality in the city and is the exact type of personality that radio shows should be looking for. The Dhaliwal’s and Pratt’s of the world remind me of Donald Trump in how they’ll say whatever and be a loud mouth just to try to make controversy/headlines. I think people are sick of it and can see through the act from a mile away.

Reactions: m9

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Dhaliwal is so bad on radio. He’s in the Don Cherry and Dave Pratt category. Dumb, loud mouth, insulting everyone, sucks up to agents/players and pretends to be their buddy. I don’t wish anything bad against him and he obviously has more “insider” connections than anyone, but I’m not a fan of his style at all.

I much prefer a logical, level headed person who’s passionate about the Canucks and the sport. To me Sat Shah is obviously the best radio personality in the city and is the exact type of personality that radio shows should be looking for. The Dhaliwal’s and Pratt’s of the world remind me of Donald Trump in how they’ll say whatever and be a loud mouth just to try to make controversy/headlines. I think people are sick of it and can see through the act from a mile away.
I agree with part of what you say. I quite like Dhaliwal when he is giving analysis in a serious tone. It's when the Don Cheery voice kicks in and he pretends to be the crazy Crown Royale morning jock that turns me away. If he had more conversations then he would be in more conversations for conversations about other potential shows. I think he shroud have that conversation.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I agree with part of what you say. I quite like Dhaliwal when he is giving analysis in a serious tone. It's when the Don Cheery voice kicks in and he pretends to be the crazy Crown Royale morning jock that turns me away. If he had more conversations then he would be in more conversations for conversations about other potential shows. I think he shroud have that conversation.

Exactly. I think if Rick smartens up and realizes that nobody has time for the Don Cherry bullshit anymore, he could seriously be one of the best insiders in hockey. He has SO MANY connections. I truly wish him the best as I’ve heard numerous times that he’s a good guy at a personal level. He should be the good guy he is on the radio too because when he tries to be the loudmouth it doesn’t work.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is there enough room in the marketplace for two mediocre sports-talk radio stations? I mean are there really enough mindless listeners to digest the pap they offer up; or advertisers who are trying to sell cars, plumbing supplies or whatever else they're trying to flog? Something has to give surely.

Even Rogers and Bell Media aren't going to subsidize this folly forever.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

1st paragraph big agree, but Sat is brutally boring on TV or radio. And It sometimes seems like he's just repeating other people's data, because he doesn't always sound like he know what hes talking about.

Dhaliwal and Don taylor sounds like a terrible combo and more reasons to skip that afternoon show.

One of the best radio hosts that needs to replace one of the many terrible ones in this city is Blake price. He was okay on TV too but he's great for radio.

Reactions: m9

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

This is fascinating to me. I follow Dhaliwal on Twitter but had no idea he was like this. I haven't listened to the radio since Last Resort by Papa Roach was a hit.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This is fascinating to me. I follow Dhaliwal on Twitter but had no idea he was like this. I haven't listened to the radio since Last Resort by Papa Roach was a hit.

I was shocked too because I first found out who he was on twitter as well and just thought he was a well respected insider. But man on the radio he’s rude and unprofessional imo.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
No one:

Sportsnet:
Let’s fired the a popular sports radio personality (certainly the most popular one on social media) in one of our major market and let him walk to our biggest rival immediately.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No one:

Sportsnet:
Let’s fired the a popular sports radio personality (certainly the most popular one on social media) in one of our major market and let him walk to our biggest rival immediately.
All of the on air talent have contracts. So if rick’s deal allows him to find employment immediately then good for him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was shocked too because I first found out who he was on twitter as well and just thought he was a well respected insider. But man on the radio he’s rude and unprofessional imo.
Not sure if he James and Perry planned it that way but he always appeared to be an outsider to their duo. Never felt like a good fit.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

100% agree. When he’s logical and giving insightful information he’s great, it’s when he tries to become someone he’s not (more of a hotshot radio personality) that it goes south.

member 290103

1st paragraph big agree, but Sat is brutally boring on TV or radio. And It sometimes seems like he's just repeating other people's data, because he doesn't always sound like he know what hes talking about.

Dhaliwal and Don taylor sounds like a terrible combo and more reasons to skip that afternoon show.

One of the best radio hosts that needs to replace one of the many terrible ones in this city is Blake price. He was okay on TV too but he's great for radio.

I completely agree. Sat Shah seems like a great guy and almost always has great takes, but he's not cut out to host. I find myself losing interesting in anything he is saying when he talks. It's like he memorizes a script and just continually repeats it - his delivery is devoid of any semblance of off the cuff. I was excited for his show on 650, based on his work on 1040, but I found he was better in limited quantities and usually only as an offset to the raging lunatic fest of Bro/Pratt.

That intermission with Murphy, Shah and Mcyntire is horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad