Vancouver Media Thread- V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Here's the exception in the Limitation Act I should have quoted

(j)a claim relating to sexual assault, whether or not the claimant's right to bring the court proceeding was at any time governed by a limitation period;

Right, I forgot about that exception. Thanks for posting.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Nobody does. There’s no Larry Brooks type here. I get it, there’s 10 media jobs in the city and 50 qualified experienced people that fight them. As we have recently seen, jobs are at a premium but.... where is the integrity. JPat is the toughest critic on Twitter... but was a mouse when he was the guy asking questions at the podium, and he’s probably the most hard hitting .... just a joke.

what about “what the f*** happened to EP40 day to day diagnosis and why does your medical staff constantly misdiagnose? “
JPat and occasionally Drance can ask a toughish question. It’s not just hard hitting questions but interesting questions, with natural follow ups that will get the guy answering out of cliche mode. It’s about having the knowledge and credibility to ask the tough question and keep respect between the two party’s. A good reporter should be able to ask questions that reveal the truth.

Not many of these types left in sports media or even regular journalism. it’s much more lucrative to shill and get a job in the corporate world.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am toxic

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I know, but the extensions aren’t that long (a year?) and given Virtanen’s age, I’d be surprised if the woman was under 19 at the time (well, not that surprised, but still).

Did you read the article you linked? The woman was 18 back in September 2017.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
I miss the days when Pratt would have a show and say "pony up the cash"and when taking calls would say Glen, on the cell! As if to suggest Glen was some flashy guy calling on his cell!

Reactions: perrykaravello

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
JPat and occasionally Drance can ask a toughish question. It’s not just hard hitting questions but interesting questions, with natural follow ups that will get the guy answering out of cliche mode. It’s about having the knowledge and credibility to ask the tough question and keep respect between the two party’s. A good reporter should be able to ask questions that reveal the truth.

Not many of these types left in sports media or even regular journalism. it’s much more lucrative to shill and get a job in the corporate world.
Takes a certain skill to ask questions that get an answer to the question.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I will say that the Canucks have really created an environment this year where it's almost impossible for reporters to get real answers from the GM. The availability with him has been extremely limited and has so many reporters that Benning is able to to just spew off his usual non-answer instead of guys being able to ask enough follow-up questions to get to a real answer.

It is kind of crazy that some basic questions about last off-season were never even answered. Like, was Benning ever asked why Baertschi wasn't bought out?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
luz0ltu.jpg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It is kind of crazy that some basic questions about last off-season were never even answered. Like, was Benning ever asked why Baertschi wasn't bought out?

Is that even an important question? Isn't the cap savings like ~$600K this year as opposed to burying him in the minors?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Is that even an important question? Isn't the cap savings like ~$600K this year as opposed to burying him in the minors?

I think since the media has pushed the narrative all year that the Canucks are trying to be as cheap as possible it's very curious that they didn't save real money by buying out guys like Baertschi & Teves, yes.

Reactions: F A N

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
So, Benning signs him to the 3 mill + contract then Green sours on him and refuses to even give him a chance. Not very good communication between GM & Coach. He had 46 points in 43 games last year and 14 points in 24 games this year. He is definitely better than some who played for the Canucks this year but, as I said, Green does not care for him and prefers to play guys like Graovac and Hawrluk (not to talk about Beagle and Roussel!)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So, Benning signs him to the 3 mill + contract then Green sours on him and refuses to even give him a chance. Not very good communication between GM & Coach. He had 46 points in 43 games last year and 14 points in 24 games this year. He is definitely better than some who played for the Canucks this year but, as I said, Green does not care for him and prefers to play guys like Graovac and Hawrluk (not to talk about Beagle and Roussel!)

Personally, I think Benning communicates with Green and ends up listening to him way too much. You know when Benning went out and signed Beagle and Roussel what Green wanted were players who can play on the PK. I bet you a lot of player moves were influenced by how Green wanted his team to play.

Reactions: StreetHawk

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
So, Benning signs him to the 3 mill + contract then Green sours on him and refuses to even give him a chance. Not very good communication between GM & Coach.

The fact this feud, termed an 'altercation' between Green and Baertschi, by Patrick Johnston resulted in the owner basically losing 10.5M in wasted salary cannot be viewed positively by the Aquilini's.

In most businesses an employee would not survive this situation and if people are groping for a reason Green will likely be seeking greener pastures, here is one tangible reason why.

Reactions: MS

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Nobody does. There’s no Larry Brooks type here. I get it, there’s 10 media jobs in the city and 50 qualified experienced people that fight them. As we have recently seen, jobs are at a premium but.... where is the integrity. JPat is the toughest critic on Twitter... but was a mouse when he was the guy asking questions at the podium, and he’s probably the most hard hitting .... just a joke.

what about “what the f*** happened to EP40 day to day diagnosis and why does your medical staff constantly misdiagnose? “

The problem is, everything is done over zoom, they get called on randomly, get to ask one question, maybe get a follow up, and run the risk of not getting called on for multiple nights if they ask a tough question see: Daniel Wagner.

It's set up perfectly for anyone with responsibility to avoid any repercussions. I have a hard time faulting the media under this conditions. If it was normal and they were face to face with the coach, players, gm etc I think it would be different.

Reactions: m9

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The problem is, everything is done over zoom, they get called on randomly, get to ask one question, maybe get a follow up, and run the risk of not getting called on for multiple nights if they ask a tough question see: Daniel Wagner.

It's set up perfectly for anyone with responsibility to avoid any repercussions. I have a hard time faulting the media under this conditions. If it was normal and they were face to face with the coach, players, gm etc I think it would be different.

The problem is the media frequently gets a pass these days. It is always “not normal.”

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Its not like there were tough questions pre Covid.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I thought Muckalt was well spoken and sensible. Don’t see an issue with his interview.

Edit. Okay I just listened to the whole interview. Muckalt wanting to promote his other player instead of talking about Lockwood is annoying. And his comparisons…:confused:

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

you make some good points but it was softies even before zoom. Scott Rintoul lobbing up softballs to Benning 6 months ago on the radio was laughable. The media here has been spineless since tony gallagher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad