Vancouver Media Thread- V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
The last’n over there done gone well over the county approved 1k so I reckoned it time for a new’n.

Here’s some of what was happening:

Fai telling it like it is. :yo:

I hear that it has something to do with GMs usually give out an interview after half of the season or so, to talk about their plan (seller or buyer, RFA, UFA ....):popcorn:

You look stronger when you can admit you are wrong.

But even if you can't admit it, I am still keeping the toilet paper for you, because I care.

He already admitted to blocking you earlier, friend (I suspect he did the same to me). Imagine being an adult and throwing a tantrum when you’re wrong and then blocking everyone.

I will still keep the toilet paper for him.

Oh damn, just about. Horvat and Baertschi were eligible for trade protection in the final years of their deals but didn't get it.

It is true that every eligible free agent signing on the roster has trade protection. And every roster player this season that Benning could give trade protection to has it. Baertschi isn't a roster player and Horvat isn't eligible until next season.

I’m sure playing for Francesco back then was amazing... wins most nights, no expenses spared, competent management , etc etc

Then Aquaman personal life came to the limelight and shit went onto East Cordova.

You hadn’t noticed that in vancouver The sports media is incredibly controlled, pliant, generally incurious, etc?

Rob Fai and certainly few others have shown consistency, curiosity, determination, asked the right questions, and provided a service to his listeners/readers.

I accuse 80% of Vancouvers sports media of prolonging this nonsense with their constant gaslighting. Their worship of the OBC. Their service of power. They have spun for this organization for 7 long years. Propagandists to the end. Sick shit.

What I dont understand , is that there is always this criticism of the OBC...If the Canucks brought in an experienced GM, he would most likely be part of the OBC..?...People would complain.

If the Canucks brought in a first time GM (looks to me like 2/3 of NHL GM's are first time GM's) , then that GM would be criticized as well, for not having experience...People would complain.

It's a no win situation.

One business that hasn't suffered this past year is tin hat sales.

I'm not personally against an OBC member being the new GM. Our last 3 GMs have all been first time GMs. A young modern thinking guy like Dubas would be nice.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Does anyone else find the 650 postgame show poor quality? Ian McIntyre spends 5 minutes cringfully trying to be funny, They drop "conversation"about 45 times per show (sometimes 4 times in 30 seconds). They keep mentioning that the phone boards are open and what number to call, but go on waffling to themselves. Then the dressing room interviews. What is the point? How important was it to get a goal after you were down 2-1? How important was it to get a good start? Corey Hirsh (Hirshey...they love that wacky nickname) - why is his mic always on low? Can hardly hear him. Then when they play the highlights of the game, the audio just blasts. I long for the days when it was called Overtime hosted by Al Davidson, The coach (Harry Neale, for example would come across the street to Branigans) and have a very interesting discussion.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
For me, I don't need the media to echo my opinions of the franchise. I can watch the games and make my own conclusions about the team. I don't require my the media to reinforce my thoughts on the club.

Sports media isn't news, they sway more to entertainment. That's why we get hyped up about any rumours, despite there only being a couple of trades in season.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
For me, I don't need the media to echo my opinions of the franchise. I can watch the games and make my own conclusions about the team. I don't require my the media to reinforce my thoughts on the club.

Sports media isn't news, they sway more to entertainment. That's why we get hyped up about any rumours, despite there only being a couple of trades in season.
Uhhh this is how people access the team. Interviews with the players and coach postgame are things fans like to hear. It has nothing to do with reinforcing opinions. Weird tangent.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Does anyone else find the 650 postgame show poor quality? Ian McIntyre spends 5 minutes cringfully trying to be funny, They drop "conversation"about 45 times per show (sometimes 4 times in 30 seconds). They keep mentioning that the phone boards are open and what number to call, but go on waffling to themselves. Then the dressing room interviews. What is the point? How important was it to get a goal after you were down 2-1? How important was it to get a good start? Corey Hirsh (Hirshey...they love that wacky nickname) - why is his mic always on low? Can hardly hear him. Then when they play the highlights of the game, the audio just blasts. I long for the days when it was called Overtime hosted by Al Davidson, The coach (Harry Neale, for example would come across the street to Branigans) and have a very interesting discussion.
Yeah, I've played for a bit and coached for a bit, and I appreciate hearing from intelligent commentators that can point out things in a post game show that I may have missed.

650 ain't that.

Last edited:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Uhhh this is how people access the team. Interviews with the players and coach postgame are things fans like to hear. It has nothing to do with reinforcing opinions. Weird tangent.
I am referring more to media's opinions of the team vs. anything that a player says. I can watch or read Green's post game comments and form my opinion of what he said and whether I agree or disagree with his assessments.

I don't really care too much what IMac, Paterson, Price, Walker or whomever says about a player, coach, GM's comments. Everyone will read into comments what they will.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I am referring more to media's opinions of the team vs. anything that a player says. I can watch or read Green's post game comments and form my opinion of what he said and whether I agree or disagree with his assessments.

I don't really care too much what IMac, Paterson, Price, Walker or whomever says about a player, coach, GM's comments. Everyone will read into comments what they will.
Will you not choose the higher quality means of consuming the content?

Nobody is saying they want agreeable post games. They want entertainment.

How do you listen/watch post game coaching interviews?

I honestly don’t understand why you post in the media thread. You don’t seem to actually interested in it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Will you not choose the higher quality means of consuming the content?

Nobody is saying they want agreeable post games. They want entertainment.

How do you listen/watch post game coaching interviews?

I honestly don’t understand why you post in the media thread. You don’t seem to actually interested in it.

650 post game show is definitely not the "higher quality means of consuming [any] content."

Kassattack

Low expectations
Sep 13, 2014
Victoria
Man was the "analysis" of the Benning presser so disappointing from Marek and Friedman. Just so lazy and said nothing about the damning quotes.

Just waffled on about nothing.

Reactions: rypper and vanuck

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006

Journalism died a long time ago and as a society we are far worse off for it. Sports/entertainment was just the canary.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Man was the "analysis" of the Benning presser so disappointing from Marek and Friedman. Just so lazy and said nothing about the damning quotes.

Just waffled on about nothing.
Expecting any actual criticism from the likes of Friedman is just setting yourself up for disappointment TBH.

Reactions: F A N and kevinsane

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

Yes the quality of those 650 guys sucks but I like listening to experts who actually know what they are talking about. Also it’s great when actual sports journalists do work.

in vancouver the fans are deprived of an honest, hard nosed, curious sports media.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Journalism died a long time ago and as a society we are far worse off for it. Sports/entertainment was just the canary.
I think they survive more by providing credible information.

Friedman, or any other “insider”, isn’t going to burn a scoop source by levelling criticism. They survive on being liked by 31 fan bases, not on astute criticism.

Depends on your definition of journalism. Traditionally, AFAK, journalists report on the news and often do so by telling a story. Friedman doesn't survive on being liked, he survives on reporting credible information. He's not a pundit. There's a place for guys like McKenzie and Friendman and there's a place for a guy like Ferraro.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes the quality of those 650 guys sucks but I like listening to experts who actually know what they are talking about. Also it’s great when actual sports journalists do work.

in vancouver the fans are deprived of an honest, hard nosed, curious sports media.
Those experts aren’t the host of radio shows nor writers. I appreciate the insight offered up by good quality former players like Mike Johnson, Ray Ferraro, KB. Kypper didn’t offer up much of that level.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I think they survive more by providing credible information.

Depends on your definition of journalism. Traditionally, AFAK, journalists report on the news and often do so by telling a story. Friedman doesn't survive on being liked, he survives on reporting credible information. He's not a pundit. There's a place for guys like McKenzie and Friendman and there's a place for a guy like Ferraro.

“liked” was the wrong word. Trusted and respected are more accurate. And you’re right. People don’t look to Friedman as a pundit.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Drance was grumpy as hell yesterday. Responded to everyone in his Gillis record vs Benning's record tweet. He's not wrong about any of it.

Kassattack

Low expectations
Sep 13, 2014
Victoria
Expecting any actual criticism from the likes of Friedman is just setting yourself up for disappointment TBH.

I like Friedman because sometimes he can look at something from a perspective I had not considered. He has good insight on things because he's well connected and credible.

In this case, they very much avoided any sort of controversy and it was obvious why.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Drance was grumpy as hell yesterday. Responded to everyone in his Gillis record vs Benning's record tweet. He's not wrong about any of it.

This is a pretty stark contrast in tone/attitude from when he first joined the Athletic and started covering the Canucks again. No doubt he's fed up after witnessing the last 2 years or so.

I like Friedman because sometimes he can look at something from a perspective I had not considered. He has good insight on things because he's well connected and credible.

In this case, they very much avoided any sort of controversy and it was obvious why.

No doubt he's well-connected due to his sources. I just don't like his actual hockey takes i.e the times that he isn't relying on insider info.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is a pretty stark contrast in tone/attitude from when he first joined the Athletic and started covering the Canucks again. No doubt he's fed up after witnessing the last 2 years or so.

Are we seriously discussing why Thomas Drance was grumpy? I mean I don't mind it, but some people like to argue with people on twitter and Drance is that kind of guy.

Reactions: m9

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Friedman, or any other “insider”, isn’t going to burn a scoop source by levelling criticism. They survive on being liked by 31 fan bases, not on astute criticism.

I can't remember the last time he broke any news. Anyway that's not how it works; people leak to journalists because it's in their interest not because they like the guy they're leaking to. But we're not talking about a journalist; we're talking about Ellliotttte Friedman, a Rogers corp brand ambassador for sports-related entertainment. His job is to promote the product.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I for one, love it when Drance goes off on Twitter.

Reactions: SamInVan

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Isnt there a new radio station coming on soon with the team from 1040? Cant stand Rintoul! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad