Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Why does the media like Green so much?

I don’t get it.

that playoff run last year was fun in some instances, like seeing Pettersson handle the playoff grind and we got rid of the Tampa Bay Obligation with our pick.

But it is one of the most toxic things to happen to this organization in its false reality.

Last edited:

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
What about the soap opera the media mad when Vigneault was left "twisting in the wind"and had to go on a trip with Gillis to Vegas before re-signing. Seems they want to make a story out of what could be nothing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think ownership needs to figure out what makes the most sense going forward.

Benning has completed year 1 of his multi-year deal that he signed in 2019 when he had a year left. So, he either has 1 or 2 years left on his contract. Never heard any solid confirmation of the actual term of his extension.

Green and co. have no contract moving forward.

Does it make sense to extend Green and co. for 3 years at this point in time?

If they want to make a change in 2022, then they either have Benning with 1 year left or his contract expires. Since, the media would be on this, is benning a lame duck GM, I would surmise that he has 2 years left currently. And they would have Green and co. with 2 years left on their deals.

Seems to me, now is the time to make changes unless they are 100% certain that they want to run with the group they have for the next 2 years.

Aquillinis know how painful it was to pay Torts and Gillis to not be here, only getting relief after the Jackets signed Torts a year and a bit after he was let go.

Reactions: mossey3535

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wish the answer for the media's love for Green was because he has been the only guy who interacts with the media regularly this year so they are propping him up a bit out of good faith, but this started way before that so it's not true.

I just think the media has been slow to react on this one. They thought Green should have gotten an extension after the bubble, and when he didn't they have just rode with that narrative through this season. Now they've kind of realized that the "pandemic/no money" thing was just a fake answer from Benning earlier this year and are playing catch-up to figure out the real answer.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wish the answer for the media's love for Green was because he has been the only guy who interacts with the media regularly this year so they are propping him up a bit out of good faith, but this started way before that so it's not true.

I just think the media has been slow to react on this one. They thought Green should have gotten an extension after the bubble, and when he didn't they have just rode with that narrative through this season. Now they've kind of realized that the "pandemic/no money" thing was just a fake answer from Benning earlier this year and are playing catch-up to figure out the real answer.

I am not so sure why the media in general is so sure that Green is a good coach. Under normal circumstances, he would have either gotten a 1 year extension or 2 year extension after the bubble. One year if there's doubts as to whether the Canucks would have made the playoffs at all but for the pandemic and 2 years if you think he coached the Canucks back into the playoffs and winning a round (or two). This is simply based on the custom of not having your GM or coach enter the season in the final year of their contracts.

But since there wasn't a deal, the only reason to extend him for 2 years is you're not going to evaluate him based on the pandemic and so he wouldn't be a lame duck coach again. In fairness, a one year deal is probably appropriate for both sides.

Personally, I would like to move on from Green.

Reactions: m9

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It seems very odd that there's such a push when everyone knows what a management change could bring.

Like I don't hate Green but I don't really see the big deal, and if avoiding re-signing him means the possibility for change higher up, surely any right-minded analyst can see why that would be a plus for the team?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It seems very odd that there's such a push when everyone knows what a management change could bring.

Like I don't hate Green but I don't really see the big deal, and if avoiding re-signing him means the possibility for change higher up, surely any right-minded analyst can see why that would be a plus for the team?

It wouldn't be the first time ownership pushes for a coaching change despite the GM wanting to keep the coach.

What nobody seems to be able to confirm is whether Green has an actual contract offer in front of him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Count me in as another who's completely baffled by the media fixation on Green, who really has proven himself to be little more than middling NHL coach.

Is he a nice guy and do the players like him?....I'm sure they probably do. But then David Quinn in N.Y. was from all reports a good coach...and his won-loss record is actually a lot better than Green's over the same three-year period. And there's every indication that Green's predecessor Willie Dejardins was a nice guy who had the players' backs.

The bottom line is that the Canucks haven't improved at all defensively in three seasons and have only one bubble-related COVID playoff appearance to show for his tenure here. If he is canned, it's simply because he didn't win enough games.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Imagine having 1 , just 1 BALLSY media member. All these f***ing losers scared to lose their interview privileges. Talk a big game on Twitter then quiet like a mouse on the podium.

“Francesco, 5 teams with better records fired their coaches. Why does yours have a job still”

“Jim, you said 7 years ago that this was a team you could turn around quickly and you’ve missed the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years. Can you admit you’ve made mistakes”

“Jim would you admit you screwed up on not signing Tyler Toffoli ?”

“Jim , you come from a scouting background but it’s safe to say Virtanen and Juolevi would not be first round picks in a redraft. What happened?”

“Jim, you’ve never been able to acquire any draft picks at the deadlines over the last 7 years while clearly being out of the playoffs for expiring UFAs that walked for nothing. Other GMs do ... what happened ??”

“Jim, you spent 6 million dollars of the owners money on a player that played 7 games this year. What have your conversations with Francesco been like about this?”

nope. They will dance around all the bullshit.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Imagine having 1 , just 1 BALLSY media member. All these f***ing losers scared to lose their interview privileges. Talk a big game on Twitter then quiet like a mouse on the podium.

“Francesco, 5 teams with better records fired their coaches. Why does yours have a job still”

“Jim, you said 7 years ago that this was a team you could turn around quickly and you’ve missed the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years. Can you admit you’ve made mistakes”

“Jim , you come from a scouting background but it’s safe to say Virtanen and Juolevi would not be first round picks in a redraft. What happened?”

“Jim, you’ve never been able to acquire any draft picks at the deadlines over the last 7 years while clearly being out of the playoffs for expiring UFAs that walked for nothing. Other GMs do ... what happened ??”

“Jim, you spent 6 million dollars of the owners money on a player that played 7 games this year. What have your conversations with Francesco been like about this?”

Bootlicking.

The bootlicking media.

I am writing lyrics for a song about it even now.

just need to find something that rhymes with "mac"

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Count me in as another who's completely baffled by the media fixation on Green, who really has proven himself to be little more than middling NHL coach.

Is he a nice guy and do the players like him?....I'm sure they probably do. But then David Quinn in N.Y. was from all reports a good coach...and his won-loss record is actually a lot better than Green's over the same three-year period. And there's every indication that Green's predecessor Willie Dejardins was a nice guy who had the players' backs.

The bottom line is that the Canucks haven't improved at all defensively in three seasons and have only one bubble-related COVID playoff appearance to show for his tenure here. If he is canned, it's simply because he didn't win enough games.

Amen!!!!!

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

To be fair, when is the last time the media had a chance to engage either Aquilini or Benning?

Both are hiding away from the media and have for a while. Aquilini going back at least a year if not longer. Hard to grill Benning through zoom as well.

I think that's the bigger story. They had Green face the Virtanen thing head on when that really should have been someone higher speaking to the media.

I agree with your questions but the opportunity hasn't really been there.

(If I recall the last time Benning was on 650 the hosts asked him some pointed questions and he got snippy with his answers, "you don't have all the information!" Or something to that effect.)

Reactions: mossey3535 and m9

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
To be fair, when is the last time the media had a chance to engage either Aquilini or Benning?

Both are hiding away from the media and have for a while. Aquilini going back at least a year if not longer. Hard to grill Benning through zoom as well.

I think that's the bigger story. They had Green face the Virtanen thing head on when that really should have been someone higher speaking to the media.

I agree with your questions but the opportunity hasn't really been there.

(If I recall the last time Benning was on 650 the hosts asked him some pointed questions and he got snippy with his answers, "you don't have all the information!" Or something to that effect.)

I am annoyed by the lack of tough questions as well but I can understand it to some extend. For those guys its of vital importance to have access to the team, they need it make their living which is already difficult enough with the change media landscape. Risking this "just" to ask the tough questions is probably not worth it. There is quite a different tone between what these media guys tell you in private and how they behave in public. Even Botch wasnt asking particular tough questions and he could have shredded Benning into pieces if he wanted too.

There is however, a clear shift in the way Benning is portrayed. Just take Drance as an example. When he came back he was quite tame and he seemed to be an IMac mini-me but it turned over time, he started twitter fights with "Benning Bros" and also his article became more and more critical. Now in the latest one he all but asked for Benning to be fired.

Reactions: MS and mossey3535

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I am annoyed by the lack of tough questions as well but I can understand it to some extend. For those guys its of vital importance to have access to the team, they need it make their living which is already difficult enough with the change media landscape. Risking this "just" to ask the tough questions is probably not worth it. There is quite a different tone between what these media guys tell you in private and how they behave in public. Even Botch wasnt asking particular tough questions and he could have shredded Benning into pieces if he wanted too.

There is however, a clear shift in the way Benning is portrayed. Just take Drance as an example. When he came back he was quite tame and he seemed to be an IMac mini-me but it turned over time, he started twitter fights with "Benning Bros" and also his article became more and more critical. Now in the latest one he all but asked for Benning to be fired.

Nobody does. There’s no Larry Brooks type here. I get it, there’s 10 media jobs in the city and 50 qualified experienced people that fight them. As we have recently seen, jobs are at a premium but.... where is the integrity. JPat is the toughest critic on Twitter... but was a mouse when he was the guy asking questions at the podium, and he’s probably the most hard hitting .... just a joke.

what about “what the f*** happened to EP40 day to day diagnosis and why does your medical staff constantly misdiagnose? “

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

You need a press pass!!

Reactions: vanuck

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Next up we have Johnny Canucker from HFB media.

“Hi Travis, tonight’s game was meaningless and you had your hardest working player , a rookie sitting on 2 goals with the opposition net empty and you decided to bench Hoglander in favour of Jimmy Vesey...”

Travis clears throat ... “I’m not sure I understand your question Johnny....”

JC “well I was wondering if you’re naturally stupid or are making a conscious effort to become the most hated coach in history??”

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I didn't know where to put this since the Virtanen thread got locked, but the accuser has filed a civil suit against Virtanen based on the same allegations. The difference is that the burden of proof is much lower (civil = on a balance of probabilities i.e. >50% likelihood; criminal = beyond a reasonable doubt i.e. >90% and charges still need to be approved by the Crown prosecutor). I would have thought the Plaintiff would have been barred by the two year limitation date as the incident arose in 2017, but I suppose that's an argument Virtanen's lawyer will make in an effort to dismiss the claim.

According to the claim, the two agreed to meet and Virtanen allegedly picked her up and drove her to a Vancouver hotel where the team was staying.

The civil claim alleges when they entered the room, “Virtanen came up behind the plaintiff and began kissing her neck and putting his hands all over her body. The plaintiff allegedly shrugged Virtanen off.”

The civil claim alleges Virtanen “became more persistent in his attempt to have sex with the plaintiff.”
Emily claims in her court filings that she told Virtanen “no.”

Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen named in civil suit alleging sexual misconduct - Vancouver Is Awesome

Last edited:

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
There are so many better coaches than Green out there and GMs better than Benning atm. It is a golden age to clear house.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I didn't know where to put this since the Virtanen thread got locked, but the accuser has filed a civil suit against Virtanen based on the same allegations. The difference is that the burden of proof is much lower (civil = on a balance of probabilities i.e. >50% likelihood; criminal = beyond a reasonable doubt i.e. >90% and charges still need to be approved by the Crown prosecutor). I would have thought the Plaintiff would have been barred by the two year limitation date as the incident arose in 2017, but I suppose that's an argument Virtanen's lawyer will make in an effort to dismiss the claim.

According to the claim, the two agreed to meet and Virtanen allegedly picked her up and drove her to a Vancouver hotel where the team was staying.

The civil claim alleges when they entered the room, “Virtanen came up behind the plaintiff and began kissing her neck and putting his hands all over her body. The plaintiff allegedly shrugged Virtanen off.”

The civil claim alleges Virtanen “became more persistent in his attempt to have sex with the plaintiff.”
Emily claims in her court filings that she told Virtanen “no.”

Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen named in civil suit alleging sexual misconduct - Vancouver Is Awesome

Limitation dates don’t run until the Plaintiff turns 19 and Covid suspended and extended limitation dates.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Limitation dates don’t run until the Plaintiff turns 19 and Covid suspended and extended limitation dates.

I know, but the extensions aren’t that long (a year?) and given Virtanen’s age, I’d be surprised if the woman was under 19 at the time (well, not that surprised, but still).

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
Next up we have Johnny Canucker from HFB media.

“Hi Travis, tonight’s game was meaningless and you had your hardest working player , a rookie sitting on 2 goals with the opposition net empty and you decided to bench Hoglander in favour of Jimmy Vesey...”

Travis clears throat ... “I’m not sure I understand your question Johnny....”

JC “well I was wondering if you’re naturally stupid or are making a conscious effort to become the most hated coach in history??”

Nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad