Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I actually don't mind Walker after having listened to him in short spurts. He has a good radio voice and is made for radio unlike Scott Rintoul who is hard to listen to in terms of his voice, pacing, and delivery. I don't like the guy because I think he fakes his fandom for the the Canucks. But I don't see anything wrong with getting a rise out of the fan base or constantly taking contrarian views. The job is to deliver profits to the station through advertisement that is often tied to ratings. His job is that of a "host" not an "analyst." From listening to him, it's not like he forces his views down on listeners. It's no different from Sekeres and Price's debate segment where one side is forced to take an opposing view.

Everyone has their schtick and Walker is welcome to it. At the end of the day it's his job/career which is usually tied to ratings. I'm pretty sure Walker and Shah are two of 650's highest paid hosts so if they can't carry the show to higher ratings they are in trouble.

Reactions: Luckylarry and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Doomed from Day 1. Can't win when you have a Program Director who hired Steve Darling and Mira Laurence as on-air morning talent on a sports radio station.

Been saying for years they need to switch it up, but at this point they obviously don't care so why should I?

Reactions: VanillaCoke

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Doomed from Day 1. Can't win when you have a Program Director who hired Steve Darling and Mira Laurence as on-air morning talent on a sports radio station.

Been saying for years they need to switch it up, but at this point they obviously don't care so why should I?

And yet here you are, grinding your axe.

Reactions: m9

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I actually don't mind Walker after having listened to him in short spurts. He has a good radio voice and is made for radio unlike Scott Rintoul who is hard to listen to in terms of his voice, pacing, and delivery. I don't like the guy because I think he fakes his fandom for the the Canucks. But I don't see anything wrong with getting a rise out of the fan base or constantly taking contrarian views. The job is to deliver profits to the station through advertisement that is often tied to ratings. His job is that of a "host" not an "analyst." From listening to him, it's not like he forces his views down on listeners. It's no different from Sekeres and Price's debate segment where one side is forced to take an opposing view.

Everyone has their schtick and Walker is welcome to it. At the end of the day it's his job/career which is usually tied to ratings. I'm pretty sure Walker and Shah are two of 650's highest paid hosts so if they can't carry the show to higher ratings they are in trouble.
Totally agree that Rintoul is just too hard to listen to. He’s got good knowledge, but as a host he’s terrible. The two morning guys are just as bad. They are horrifyingly awful too. I don’t mind the two guys from 1-4. Sat Shaw is the best of the bunch though.
I think 650 should hire Dave Pratt for their morning show, and put him with Sat.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
There is a lot of “bench talent” at 1040 who outdo a lot of the regulars at 650 IMO (Surman and Chand in particular).

Hell, Surman and Shah had a good dynamic on their morning show back in the day, just put those two together again.

Reactions: rypper and Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
There is a lot of “bench talent” at 1040 who outdo a lot of the regulars at 650 IMO (Surman and Chand in particular).

Hell, Surman and Shah had a good dynamic on their morning show back in the day, just put those two together again.
Good point

Dhaliwal is the pinch hitter for the midday show but whenever Donny/Moj can't be in, I feel like Dhaliwal has really good chemistry with either of them. Just four hours of f***ing jokes and inside information.

Poor shah on an island out there

Reactions: Ghetty Green

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't get the love for Shah. Is it because his takes are mainstream? If he's so good he should be able to carry his own show. At some point the excuses can't be that his partner sucks. I'm sure he's a likable guy but being a likeable guy doesn't do anything if you can't drive ratings. He's had a morning show and couldn't touch Halford and Brough. He's had a pm drive show and couldn't touch Sekeres and Price.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
That’s what 650 gets for hiring a troll that doesn’t even like the Hockey team he’s commenting on and just wants to get rise out of the fan base. Unlike Skip bayless he’s not even a good troll either.

Exactly. There's nothing entertaining about Walker...he's boring. Vanilla pro-management, anti-fanbase takes on the radio waves just won't cut it in an era where this is the trend: Live Games on TikTok? Decision-Makers Are Rethinking Sports Viewership for Gen Z - Morning Consult

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
SN 650 is a long term play they have only been around for 3 years.
They have to think long term but look at their lineup?

Darling/Lawrence/Jang/Rick D gone.

expect some shuffling.

Rintoul isn’t a guy who should host his own show. Doesn’t have the voice to be solo.

the morning guys are vanilla. James C tries to be entertaining but comes off poorly.

they are still way behind in the ratings race after 3 seasons and being the Canucks rights holders.

TSN, I like their guest or contacts more than SN. But honestly couldn’t care about their hosts. Jason and Mike, very fraternity like. Donnie and Moj, gear to non sports for me for too long a stretch of time. Sekeras and Price, can’t stand Sekeras voice.

Reactions: Luckylarry

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Let's not forget that they were getting crushed in the ratings while hockey was on as well.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
"The No Plan, Plan" Botchford's statement years ago
The media has lave affairs, if they like you you are gods and any mistakes can be corrected easily no matter how many or how expensive.
But if they hate you, GM, Coach and others get ostracized daily and hourly.
The Canucks missed the playoffs by two points
BOOOM
The media heat got so intense the owner had to hire security guards for his children and the entire management is changed.

BUT this regime somehow gets a pass, not just one but 10 to 15 passes, almost no negative or hard questions as to why, how or the future.
Right now the media are salesmen for the hockey team that's all.
Botchford was one of the extremely few that said 200 losses in 4 years was bad, that Benning had the worst record of any Vancouver GM and 2nd only to Milbury in the league history.

The list of missed or given passes can fill radio shows for months.

There have been posters that have stated all along almost exactly what would happen in the future from the Eriksson contract handcuffing the team, too many clause contracts given out to over the hill players, the total lack of cap management that stifled all trade possibilities year after year, to holding up to the light the actual standings, you know those little number that gauge good from bad.

Today the media is going along with how good the team expects to be, if they are that naïve what are they doing even on a sports show.

The writing was on the wall, the Toffoli deal, the lack of negotiating with any of the UFAs, letting top management people go, letting coaches go, the continued lack of negotiating Green's contract.

But what do the Vancouver media talk about? Virtanen and just about anything other than doing a depth comparison with other Canadian teams.

Mark my words, one or two injuries and this team is DFL in Canada

I would guess that Benning is canned or shuffled aside (he may be already, Gear) before March.
Once he is gone these sports media geniuses can revel in the idea that it is a show they put on, they don't have to accurate or even reflect fan attitudes, they are there to make money and that's all.

"The No Plan, Plan"

Reactions: I am toxic

Maddogy

Oct 15, 2020
"The No Plan, Plan" Botchford's statement years ago
The media has lave affairs, if they like you you are gods and any mistakes can be corrected easily no matter how many or how expensive.
But if they hate you, GM, Coach and others get ostracized daily and hourly.
The Canucks missed the playoffs by two points
BOOOM
The media heat got so intense the owner had to hire security guards for his children and the entire management is changed.

BUT this regime somehow gets a pass, not just one but 10 to 15 passes, almost no negative or hard questions as to why, how or the future.
Right now the media are salesmen for the hockey team that's all.
Botchford was one of the extremely few that said 200 losses in 4 years was bad, that Benning had the worst record of any Vancouver GM and 2nd only to Milbury in the league history.

The list of missed or given passes can fill radio shows for months.

There have been posters that have stated all along almost exactly what would happen in the future from the Eriksson contract handcuffing the team, too many clause contracts given out to over the hill players, the total lack of cap management that stifled all trade possibilities year after year, to holding up to the light the actual standings, you know those little number that gauge good from bad.

Today the media is going along with how good the team expects to be, if they are that naïve what are they doing even on a sports show.

The writing was on the wall, the Toffoli deal, the lack of negotiating with any of the UFAs, letting top management people go, letting coaches go, the continued lack of negotiating Green's contract.

But what do the Vancouver media talk about? Virtanen and just about anything other than doing a depth comparison with other Canadian teams.

Mark my words, one or two injuries and this team is DFL in Canada

I would guess that Benning is canned or shuffled aside (he may be already, Gear) before March.
Once he is gone these sports media geniuses can revel in the idea that it is a show they put on, they don't have to accurate or even reflect fan attitudes, they are there to make money and that's all.

"The No Plan, Plan"

That is your subjective opinion. Many people have rightfully felt completely the opposite. Just like in politics, it would be an error to assume one's subjective experience and opinions are necessarily the correct ones.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Does anyone have thoughts on the broadscast?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
That is your subjective opinion. Many people have rightfully felt completely the opposite. Just like in politics, it would be an error to assume one's subjective experience and opinions are necessarily the correct ones.
I guess I take the team lying outright a little too personally.
I my OCD, I just hate lying and them cheating the public using those lies.
I deal with politics easier, they are all lying even when they tell the truth.
But there is no civic pride in a MLA.
To me Benning has treated most fans like idiots, blatant lies OR he is totally incompetent.
I may have to rethink that incompetence thing though because he managed to convince so many that this is a good team on the cusp of greatness. That losing over 200 games in four years is a great accomplishment,

Reactions: vanuck and Peter10

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They have to think long term but look at their lineup?

Darling/Lawrence/Jang/Rick D gone.

expect some shuffling.

Rintoul isn’t a guy who should host his own show. Doesn’t have the voice to be solo.

the morning guys are vanilla. James C tries to be entertaining but comes off poorly.

they are still way behind in the ratings race after 3 seasons and being the Canucks rights holders.

TSN, I like their guest or contacts more than SN. But honestly couldn’t care about their hosts. Jason and Mike, very fraternity like. Donnie and Moj, gear to non sports for me for too long a stretch of time. Sekeras and Price, can’t stand Sekeras voice.
I pretty much echo what you’re saying. I flip back and forth looking for hockey talk. Will even listen to other Canadian cities’ sports’ stations on the Internet just to hear hockey talk.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Good point

Dhaliwal is the pinch hitter for the midday show but whenever Donny/Moj can't be in, I feel like Dhaliwal has really good chemistry with either of them. Just four hours of f***ing jokes and inside information.

Poor shah on an island out there
Lowkey Rick's the star of the station just hearing his name makes me chuckle

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I don't get the love for Shah. Is it because his takes are mainstream? If he's so good he should be able to carry his own show. At some point the excuses can't be that his partner sucks. I'm sure he's a likable guy but being a likeable guy doesn't do anything if you can't drive ratings. He's had a morning show and couldn't touch Halford and Brough. He's had a pm drive show and couldn't touch Sekeres and Price.
I find Sat extremely dry. I respect his efforts but he does not captivate me as a listener

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lowkey Rick's the star of the station just hearing his name makes me chuckle
Rick is the guy who is close with agents. He'll always pump up the player's demands, like he did Hutton saying he'd get close to $4 million via arbitration. That's his angle, so have to take that into account when he talks rumours.

But, he's a nice change of pace. but, not someone I'd build a show around, even as a co-host.

Reactions: m9

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Rick is the guy who is close with agents. He'll always pump up the player's demands, like he did Hutton saying he'd get close to $4 million via arbitration. That's his angle, so have to take that into account when he talks rumours.

But, he's a nice change of pace. but, not someone I'd build a show around, even as a co-host.
Dhaliwal wasn’t blowing smoke. Hutton was offered ~$3m/year on a 3 year deal early in FA and his agent didn’t take it.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Dhaliwal wasn’t blowing smoke. Hutton was offered ~$3m/year on a 3 year deal early in FA and his agent didn’t take it.

You'd think that agents would know by now that Hutton level players won't get a better offer later when teams have even less money to spend, and that holding out for more money will never go well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad