Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 328930

Why is a Ferland not retiring? Seriously, how many more times is he going to attempt comebacks? The guy lasts a game and is out. Is this going to go on for the duration of his contract? Can the Canucks not do anything about this...like having a doctor assess him as unfit to play and then medically retire him?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Just went through his articles on the athletic regarding the most notable moves made 2019 summer onwards.

Ferland: He basically pointed out every concern about aging powerforwards, his concussion issues, his scoring being inflated by luck and his role offensively as a passenger on the lines he played on and how that may not necessarily translate. Oh, and he acknowledged the cap issues.

However, he still felt that it was a worthwhile gamble just to be clear.

Micheal Ferland is a great add for Canucks at a fair cost but the signing's not without cap questions

--

Myers: Not a fan. Short term upgrade as a 4-5 that will regress into a clear cut bottom pair guy by the time the team EP/QH are on their second deals.

What to make of the Tyler Myers contract and the Canucks' blue line overhaul

--

Toffoli: his thoughts on this trade summarized by this conclusion ->

There's no doubt Tyler Toffoli will make the Canucks' top six better, but was the hefty price worth it?

--

Miller: Probably the best of all to read because he provides pretty much every point regarding leverage in the trade, Miller being an elite player, the window to contend, opportunity cost, EVERYTHING we discussed last year. I can try and summarize his thoughts. He loved the player as a fit and projected he'd easily bounce back into a 55+ point player but thought we paid a high price to make the playoffs and everything.

JT Miller is everything the Canucks need in a top-six winger -- but was the price worth it?

I provided a small snippet from each article as I'm not quite sure what the sites rules are on posting PPV content in full.

Boy genius.

Not sure if you are being serious with the last comment.

Just skimmed it (thank you for the research and links and summaries) but it appears to me that Dayal doesn't say anything us rando posters said in our analysis at the time, and more importantly never comes out and flat out states that these are bad moves at the time.

That we are in the situation we are right now was not just predictable, it was inevitable. Players improve and decline based on age and talent, no one should be - can be! - surprised at the state of the team.

Dayal appears to simply say it as risks, could work in the short term but the price is high etc. etc., meaning it negatively impacts the ability to compete down the road. Like this team was ever close to contending with the kind of crap Benning has anchored with it.

On top of that, Dayal simply doesn't know hockey. His analysis of on-ice performance - of who contributes/who is a difference maker/who is riding coattails - in a particular game is completely off, little better than a stat-watcher.

Again, I appreciate your excellent post, I am simply unimpressed with Dayal, which is sad because he is probably as good if not better than many of the other hockey pundits.

Reactions: m9

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Again, I appreciate your excellent post, I am simply unimpressed with Dayal, which is sad because he is probably as good if not better than many of the other hockey pundits.
That's a fair sentiment. If you read through what he's saying, there isn't anything unique or new for us.

We bashed into every point he made. I know we discussed pretty much every point he made in every one of those articles.

However, I think he is the only guy in our media who can put together a set of thoughts where he accepts that there are multiple truths within every circumstance. It surprises me how unwilling most media members or so-called experts are to do this.

He's been writing articles that assess both risks/benefits and writing with the idea of opportunity cost being central since he was 17-18 and he's still only 20 now.

I'm not saying it's groundbreaking new content, but it is nice to have someone who brings all that stuff together into one article and you know you're getting a fairly written piece.

Drance is good for sure as well.

Second edit: Boy genius was Botchford's nickname for Harman. RIP.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Just went through his articles on the athletic regarding the most notable moves made 2019 summer onwards.

Ferland: He basically pointed out every concern about aging powerforwards, his concussion issues, his scoring being inflated by luck and his role offensively as a passenger on the lines he played on and how that may not necessarily translate. Oh, and he acknowledged the cap issues.

However, he still felt that it was a worthwhile gamble just to be clear.

Micheal Ferland is a great add for Canucks at a fair cost but the signing's not without cap questions

--

Myers: Not a fan. Short term upgrade as a 4-5 that will regress into a clear cut bottom pair guy by the time the team EP/QH are on their second deals.

What to make of the Tyler Myers contract and the Canucks' blue line overhaul

--

Toffoli: his thoughts on this trade summarized by this conclusion ->

There's no doubt Tyler Toffoli will make the Canucks' top six better, but was the hefty price worth it?

--

Miller: Probably the best of all to read because he provides pretty much every point regarding leverage in the trade, Miller being an elite player, the window to contend, opportunity cost, EVERYTHING we discussed last year. I can try and summarize his thoughts. He loved the player as a fit and projected he'd easily bounce back into a 55+ point player but thought we paid a high price to make the playoffs and everything.

JT Miller is everything the Canucks need in a top-six winger -- but was the price worth it?

I provided a small snippet from each article as I'm not quite sure what the sites rules are on posting PPV content in full.

Boy genius.

Nice, so you're saying he reads HFBoards? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Peen

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I would feel more comfortable with early 20s Harman Dayal running the entire 750m Canucks organization then the current management team.
I completely agree. Dayal actually recognizes the concept of opportunity cost, which isn't something I can say for the current guys in charge.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Still 3 years left on Ferland's contract. No chance he retires before getting his payday.
Ferland should not want to end up like Franzen who came back and now suffers from post concussion symptoms. Ferland has been lucky so far in that he doesn’t get those symptoms flaring up randomly.

But no issue with him trying to come back again. His life and choices

he has had a lot of time off between each return and he still ends up having to shut it down shortly after returning.

between choosing health over money I would choose health. But that’s easy to say from the keyboard.

do wonder if this next comeback ends the same way is there any reason for a doctor to not shut him down permanently?

if he doesn’t last 5 games on his comeback probably shouldn’t play again and land on ltir.

best of luck to him as I wouldn’t wish poor health in anyone.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Spittin chiclets guys laying into JD.

Honestly I think this makes Biz look much worse then JD. JD is clearly in their head if they're going to respond to him.

And holy hell the army of incel "stoolies" that respond to anything BS/SC related on twitter is crazy.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like Burke, his show on Saturdays is great. Haven't heard a ton of Barstool but from what I have heard it's.. not for me.

Not sure why people care about media fighting to be honest. Dead time for hockey so just make the story about yourselves I guess.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Grinnelli's actually been on social media last night and today calling out some of the SC/BS fans who are making homophobic, misogynistic, etc comments.

And Paul Bissonnette is telling JD to lick his nuts.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Those chicklets guys can’t let go of their highschool Junior B mentality

It’s sad so many people glom on to that diarrhea
I really enjoy their interviews with players, it gets them relaxed and busting balls, it brings out a side of their personality not seen all the time and you learn different things about the players which is impressive in a world with so much information available.
I am a 35 year old, centre right, white male so I am right in their wheel house, I also enjoy Rogan and his interviews, the reason is they are relatable and insightful, we all can’t like the same stuff.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I really enjoy their interviews with players, it gets them relaxed and busting balls, it brings out a side of their personality not seen all the time and you learn different things about the players which is impressive in a world with so much information available.
I am a 35 year old, centre right, white male so I am right in their wheel house, I also enjoy Rogan and his interviews, the reason is they are relatable and insightful, we all can’t like the same stuff.
Variety is the spice of life.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Grinnelli's actually been on social media last night and today calling out some of the SC/BS fans who are making homophobic, misogynistic, etc comments.

And Paul Bissonnette is telling JD to lick his nuts.
This is a fake gotcha moment.

Telling someone to lick your nuts is far from being inherently homophobic.

As others have said, I'm far far politically left of Spittin' Chicklets and find a lot of their banter insufferable (while some of it is hilarious). But they offer by far the best interviews with current and past players.

J.D. Burke hating on a 21 year old hockey player for going on the biggest hockey podcast is at best clout chasing (which is lame), and at worst it's just hopelessly out of touch.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just because your viewpoints don't align with others, doesn't mean it's all bad. There's nuance to everything and the black and white dichotomy of thinking is useless to really discuss something with so many shades of grey.

In most cases, yes, this is true. Like I said, if Orr had endorsed Mitt Romney or Stephen Harper in the past ... whatever. If he's an old rich guy wanting to support the status quo, that hardly makes him unique and it shouldn't be surprising.

There are no 'shades of grey', however, in supporting someone who is pandering to Nazis.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
This is a fake gotcha moment.

Telling someone to lick your nuts is far from being inherently homophobic.

As others have said, I'm far far politically left of Spittin' Chicklets and find a lot of their banter insufferable (while some of it is hilarious). But they offer by far the best interviews with current and past players.

J.D. Burke hating on a 21 year old hockey player for going on the biggest hockey podcast is at best clout chasing (which is lame), and at worst it's just hopelessly out of touch.

My comment was pointing out the immaturity of Bissonnette. You have one of the guys from the show bridging the gap, calling off the dogs, and speaking to people who aren't fans etc. And then you have Biz fanning the flames acting like he's in high school.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Those chicklets guys can’t let go of their highschool Junior B mentality

It’s sad so many people glom on to that diarrhea

i agree. you and jd burke make important points. hockey is serious business. there is no room for humour in hockey unless it is something a committee comprised of gender studies professors and high school principals has reviewed and approved in advance. the sooner we get to that point the better we will be as a society where you and jd burke are our cultural beacons. the last thing anyone associated with hockey wants to hear is actual hockey players shooting the shit, when we could be entertained by people like you and jd burke reciting stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad