Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You'd think that agents would know by now that Hutton level players won't get a better offer later when teams have even less money to spend, and that holding out for more money will never go well.

Clearly Hutton's agent overestimated Hutton's value around the league which is not dissimilar to overrating players who put up solid numbers playing lots of minutes on a bad team.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If 650 didn’t have the Canuck’s rights how long before that station would be changed to easy listening elevator music? My God their hosts and their content are AWFUL!

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I find Sat extremely dry. I respect his efforts but he does not captivate me as a listener

I like Sat, but I get it. He's kind of like a better Rintoul to me and I consider those guys the "play-by-play" but they need to be paired with a good "colour commentator".

That's why I actually don't mind Walker, for the most part. They're a good mix, though Walker has some really bad takes sometimes.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Clearly Hutton's agent overestimated Hutton's value around the league which is not dissimilar to overrating players who put up solid numbers playing lots of minutes on a bad team.
Clearly..will be interesting to see if he cracks $1m this season?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Didn't Hutton have a good season as King's top pairing Dman?
we are a month from the beginning of the season and he's still not signed. If he had that good a year, either the Kings have young Dmen that they want to play or he wasn't as good as some think.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Didn't Hutton have a good season as King's top pairing Dman?
If Hutton is on a team’s top pairing that team will stink. I don’t see why he’s not signed for their bottom pairing though. In that roll I think he’s a good fit.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
we are a month from the beginning of the season and he's still not signed. If he had that good a year, either the Kings have young Dmen that they want to play or he wasn't as good as some think.

If Hutton is on a team’s top pairing that team will stink. I don’t see why he’s not signed for their bottom pairing though. In that roll I think he’s a good fit.

Well there are plenty of good players still unsigned. Maybe once again his agent is over-valuating his client?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I like Sat, but I get it. He's kind of like a better Rintoul to me and I consider those guys the "play-by-play" but they need to be paired with a good "colour commentator".

That's why I actually don't mind Walker, for the most part. They're a good mix, though Walker has some really bad takes sometimes.

i like satiah shah too. pretty insightful. andrew walker's a tool. unbearable to listen to. he reminds me of matt sekeres.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sat is a star, walker is a decent fit with him.

How is he a star? Did he carry Jawn Jang to competitive ratings? No his show got steamrolled in the ratings department. Did he carry Walker to competitive ratings? No his show got steamrolled.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Kassattack

Low expectations
Sep 13, 2014
Victoria
Well Walker has been ratings poison the moment he stepped into the market. I feel bad that Sat has yet to have a good co-host... Jang and Walker were both anchors for him

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Well Walker has been ratings poison the moment he stepped into the market. I feel bad that Sat has yet to have a good co-host... Jang and Walker were both anchors for him

Honestly some of the best was when he was with Karen Surman (and to a lesser extent, Pratt) on 1040.

Reactions: I am toxic

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How is he a star? Did he carry Jawn Jang to competitive ratings? No his show got steamrolled in the ratings department. Did he carry Walker to competitive ratings? No his show got steamrolled.
Not all about Ratings, Sat has a good Radio Presence, He is a genuine good guy, is quite funny, and honestly has a huge future moving forward.
Sat and Walker during the playoffs were the best by far on radio, including tsn1040.

SN650 Killed it in the playoffs, it was not even close actually. Which is hilarious, because in the regular season and offseason, TSN destroys sn650.

Reactions: David71

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
650 is probably penny pinching now but they should just overhaul the group starting from the guy in charge of putting together the host lineup. It's been years and the station's ratings have become less competitive. Can't just hire rookies and guys you like.

Reactions: m9

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not all about Ratings, Sat has a good Radio Presence, He is a genuine good guy, is quite funny, and honestly has a huge future moving forward.
Sat and Walker during the playoffs were the best by far on radio, including tsn1040.

SN650 Killed it in the playoffs, it was not even close actually. Which is hilarious, because in the regular season and offseason, TSN destroys sn650.

Who cares if he's all that you say he is if he can't get people to listen to him instead of his competitor. This is a business. A star radio host should have good ratings.

As for killing it in the playoffs, yes people tune into the games instead of tuning in to people talking about the game.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Who cares if he's all that you say he is if he can't get people to listen to him instead of his competitor. This is a business. A star radio host should have good ratings.

As for killing it in the playoffs, yes people tune into the games instead of tuning in to people talking about the game.
Sat is kind of the only decent host 650 has. I don’t mind Randeep too. He’s okay, I guess. But the rest are craperolla, and need to go. Plus, stick to hockey talk. Rontoul is the worst for talking NFL. Can’t stands his voice and choice of topics.

Reactions: David71

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
There are people to fill the seats. Sportsnet just for some reason hasn’t been able to identify them.

None of the regular hosts are on for tsn this week and through two days I haven’t missed any of them. Maybe Moj, just a little.

Reactions: eli4spetterss0n

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

If you're discussing what makes a good radio host, then ratings are largely irrelevant. It's the same as saying Nickleback is a great rock band because of their sales. Who cares.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Sat is kind of the only decent host 650 has. I don’t mind Randeep too. He’s okay, I guess. But the rest are craperolla, and need to go. Plus, stick to hockey talk. Rontoul is the worst for talking NFL. Can’t stands his voice and choice of topics.

yah scotty rintoul redhead is pretty annoying too. i remember him and bmac in the mornings. my ears were bleeding LOL

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If you're discussing what makes a good radio host, then ratings are largely irrelevant. It's the same as saying Nickleback is a great rock band because of their sales. Who cares.
I dont like Nickelback either...It does not make them irrelevant...Record sales ($) make you relevant...not hard to grasp.

Its your opinion that's irrelevant...who cares?

Reactions: skeena1 and F A N

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I dont like Nickelback either...It does not make them irrelevant...Record sales ($) make you relevant...not hard to grasp.

People actually listen to Nickelback. What are 650’s ratings? They almost have no listeners.

Reactions: F A N

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

...what?
I said ratings don't matter when it comes to whether someone is a "good" radio host. I never discussed relevance in this context (ratings being irrelevant to whether someone is a GOOD radio host, not ratings making a host relevant/irrelevant). You completely misread my post.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
...what?
I said ratings don't matter when it comes to whether someone is a "good" radio host. I never discussed relevance in this context (ratings being irrelevant to whether someone is a GOOD radio host, not ratings making a host relevant/irrelevant). You completely misread my post.

If you are a radio host your job is to to attract listeners- it is like the sole way of driving revenue basically. So if you are the Nickleback of radio hosts and you have a lot of viewers ipso facto, you are a good radio host.

You can be an asshole or idiot or whateve, but you know how to do your job.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
There are people to fill the seats. Sportsnet just for some reason hasn’t been able to identify them.

None of the regular hosts are on for tsn this week and through two days I haven’t missed any of them. Maybe Moj, just a little.
I actually like JPat and Dhaliwal the best, certainly right now. I get the impression that they are the two most connected to the goings on of the club/league without being beholden to the team like the 650 hosts. JPat is there at the rink, while Dhaliwal has the agent connections. And they speak intelligently and respectfully* while still criticizing at times.

*I thought about taking a page out from their book, but . . . well, you know . . . username

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->