Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
For anyone not familiar with twitter getting "ratioed" is when you have a high number of replies to a tweet without corresponding likes. This is bad. Very bad.

Soooo in their welcome to Vancouver tweet they have 9 likes and 458 replies. Ratioed.

Reactions: moog35

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
For anyone not familiar with twitter getting "ratioed" is when you have a high number of replies to a tweet without corresponding likes. This is bad. Very bad.

Soooo in their welcome to Vancouver tweet they have 9 likes and 458 replies. Ratioed.

Yeah, it’s an overwhelmingly and exclusively negative response. Bell deserves it. I’m a standup comedian and NOBODY was clamouring for this in AM radio. Nobody.

Reactions: moog35

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Not having 1040 sports radio anymore when I'm in my car is a bummer. Hated losing our local programming over the years - Sports Page, and now this.

Don't have any Bell products and now I never will, due to the shitty way they handled this.

YeahHeDid

Mar 26, 2011

"I’m hearing that former #TSN1040 staff are looking at developing streaming options rather than pursuing conventional broadcast platforms. The revolution won’t be televised or broadcast on radio, apparently."

Do it! Youtube Live. Discord, Twitch etc are all options. I'd like to see the Athletic back it potentially.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
money talks, it seems that TSN1040 hosts earned more than their counterparts.

Don Taylor talks about all-sports radio wars and how 'I still feel like I have things to say'
It’s hard to guess what happens next. Sportsnet 650, which is owned by Rogers, has opted to give opportunities to some younger broadcasters since it started up. There’s a spin that they’ve opened up opportunities for newcomers. It’s true. You can also say that they’ve been budget-conscious in the process. Their pay scale is lower than TSN 1040’s was.
Don Taylor talks about all-sports radio wars | The Province

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't think that's outrageous. Taylor and the majority of the 1040 on air roster have been at it for a long time. Their pay reflects that. 650 has a lot of newer on air talent.

Reactions: skeena1

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I just tried. 650 is brutal. Tej said Green has done great things with this team and the Canucks are moving in the right direction. He said if they make changes in management whoever gets the keys is getting a pretty nice car.

Tej is one of the biggest idiots around. The whole Larschcast team had to publicly apologize a number of times and it all rose coloured glasses when it comes to Benning (at least until this week). Tej even admitted that he is just playing a role as an ultra positive canucks fan. So whatever he says its just calculated to reach a certain fan base.

Reactions: Dab and rypper

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Tej is one of the biggest idiots around. The whole Larschcast team had to publicly apologize a number of times and it all rose coloured glasses when it comes to Benning (at least until this week). Tej even admitted that he is just playing a role as an ultra positive canucks fan. So whatever he says its just calculated to reach a certain fan base.

That’s pathetic.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's not calculated at all.

I've read his posts and listened to him, he's not smart enough to put on some sort of act. It's embarrassing he would actually say that.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Tej is an absolute asshole. I know nothing about him on the radio but he sent well wishes to Justin Morissette, formerly a poster here, when Justin’s leg was shattered by a religious fanatic but Tej privately suspecting that it was faked. His opinions are worth shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter10 and Dab

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Yeah, I didn’t get the sense that he was all that bright. He’s a cheerleader.

You dont have to be smart to do this. Its just basic things, if you lack knowledge the easiest thing to do is to be a cheerleader and you have a solid chance to hit with the casual fan. List some prospect names and how awesome they will be yada yada.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

"I’m hearing that former #TSN1040 staff are looking at developing streaming options rather than pursuing conventional broadcast platforms. The revolution won’t be televised or broadcast on radio, apparently."

Do it! Youtube Live. Discord, Twitch etc are all options. I'd like to see the Athletic back it potentially.

Matt Sekeres being a human thesaurus on a twitch stream. Hell, I'll watch.

Dhaliwal with the mic drop today:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I generally listened to 1040 after the fact anyway and would probably do the same thing with 650 but I remember when 650 first came on air if you went east of Langley you would just get static.

Have they improved their signal?
When CISL 650 first hit the airwaves back in the early 80s it was just a small local Richmond community based station with a very weak transmission signal similar to the university radio stations. They have since boosted the wattage of their signal twice but the Lulu Island location of the transmitter might still result in the signal fading in eastward locations like Langley. That was certainly the case back in their days as an oldies music station as I recall.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Tej is an absolute asshole. I know nothing about him on the radio but he sent well wishes to Justin Morissette, formerly a poster here, when Justin’s leg was shattered by a religious fanatic but Tej privately suspecting that it was faked. His opinions are worth shit.

Why would anyone fake having their leg broken? If Tej suggested that he is lower than pond scum.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think that's outrageous. Taylor and the majority of the 1040 on air roster have been at it for a long time. Their pay reflects that. 650 has a lot of newer on air talent.
1049 likely very happen when bro Jake stepped back from full time and they eventually moved off Pratt. TSN also scaled back and went to 3 shows for 4 hours each. Anyone think raises were given to the hosts who had to increase their show by 1/3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad