Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What an opportunity for Craig MacEwen. All the shows that have been rocking his own lineup in the ratings are sitting there for the taking.

He could literally hire Halford, Brough, and Mcletch and the morning show would continue under 650 without missing a beat.

Of course he'd have to play the undertaker for the jobs of the guys already in those roles which is not something I think anyone would want to do.
Think he and Rogers gives the existing group a chance to bring in the 1040 listeners and see how they perform over the next few months.

Cost/benefit of whether that makes sense given that their main rival is no more.

Reactions: m9

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How long until you tune out of the Canucks season? It's essentially the same, a lot of games against a small number of teams.
I don't watch all 82 games. Most of the time, I'm fine only catching a period or something.

As a pure football fan, I find myself making time to watch the Seahawks games (as that is what we get here in Vancouver, though I am a Raiders fan, but they were terrible for a long stretch thus didn't get many games on CBS over the past 15 odd years).

CFL, kind of tune out of it between game 7/8 til the end of the season.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I don't watch all 82 games. Most of the time, I'm fine only catching a period or something.

As a pure football fan, I find myself making time to watch the Seahawks games (as that is what we get here in Vancouver, though I am a Raiders fan, but they were terrible for a long stretch thus didn't get many games on CBS over the past 15 odd years).

CFL, kind of tune out of it between game 7/8 til the end of the season.
I'd argue you're not a "pure" football fan if all you can put up with is 8 games at most.

I would not change the length of the CFL season. It's fine the way it is. Takes up the whole summer when only baseball is on, and the games ramp up in importance once there is more competition come the fall.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Anecdotal evidence is still better than no evidence.

Anyone can provide anecdotal evidence. I've played on football and other sports teams over the last 10 years and I've never heard anyone bring up the CFL. All of them talk NFL or Canucks. Some talk about going to Whitecaps games, but none seem to ever talk about what actually happens in the games. So now we both have anecdotes, and we're back to zero. Great.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm not some CFL or football hating guy. I used to watch or listen to every Lions game when I was teenager. I would go to games all the time and would often go to the BC high school championship games at BC Place. This might be a hockey forum, but I love playing or talking football. My family has been very involved in all levels of football in Canada, and my older family members (60+) still love the CFL.

But even the ones who would always talk about the CFL and have Grey Cup parties have changed. They are much more likely to talk about the Seahawks than they are the BC Lions.

The days of the Lions being relevant here are over, unfortunately. The old crowd will age out, and the kids will get tied to video games/fantasy football/betting/star power and that's all where the NFL excels. There will be pockets of fans here - the guys who play football may be one - but that's exactly what a niche market is.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I hope Hanford and Brough are back in the air soon because the 650 morning show, while it’s ok, it’s not nearly as funny. Hal Ford and Brough just seem a lot smarter.
There was the post about TEAM radio making a comeback in some forum or other. Don’t know how long it takes to get such a thing started though. If H and B did a podcast I’d listen to it during the morning.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
TSN 1040 succeeded everywhere but where it matters unfortunately---the bottom line. The had entertaining and knowledgeable hosts; solid producers and engineers; and a lot of promotions and contests. They were a pillar in the broader community.

But unfortunately there's just no growth in the sports-talk radio market, and revenues along with the overall slice of Vancouver radio listening market were in decline every year. They might have struggled through another couple of years had it not been for the Pandemic that hit AM-FM radio like a Mack truck.

Experts are right. Mainstream radio generally is facing a grim future. I have no idea what the answer is or whether there even is one. But for professionals like those at TSN 1040, you just hope that some viable format emerges to get them back on the airwaves.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
You were posting about the Raptors before... keep in mind Rogers/Bell own all of the Toronto sports teams and have every incentive to beef up those investments by using their media to turn them into the home team for all Canadians. (e.g. when Rogers bought Sportsnet they pretty much phased out all local content, stopped broadcasting Mariner games), etc.

Supporting Toronto sports teams plays into their strategy. It confirms to the execs that they’re right, and regional diversity in Canada doesn’t matter that much. It helps make choices like yesterday’s an easier call for them. BCers will largely be fine with rebroadcasts of the Fan590 or whatever.

It’s one of the reasons I am so ardently against the Blue Jays and Raptors.

I agree with most of your posts Jyrki but I disagree here. I grew up out east and was a fan of the Jays and Raptors before the Canucks despite Canucks being my number one team now. Regardless of Bell and Rogers involvement with them I’m not going to let fandom of one team alter my fandom of another unless they play in the same league. Luckily I’ll never have that problem with the Canucks and Senators as the chances of them meeting in the finals in my lifetime is essentially zero.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Think he and Rogers gives the existing group a chance to bring in the 1040 listeners and see how they perform over the next few months.

Cost/benefit of whether that makes sense given that their main rival is no more.

They should do a cost/benefit analysis but they should also secure talent and get rid of guys who people don't like to listen to.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They should do a cost/benefit analysis but they should also secure talent and get rid of guys who people don't like to listen to.
Up to the guys running the station.

how many options will these hosts have? It’s a tough industry to be in right now.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Up to the guys running the station.

how many options will these hosts have? It’s a tough industry to be in right now.

Right. So if there's not much extra "costs" to getting better talent they should do it.

Halford and Brough and Sekeres and Price trounced their competition. Was it just the station? Well I hate to say it but they also have double the twitter followers as Solkowski and the Reach Deep guys. If you get rid of say Walker, you can hire the two duos and shift the other guys around. That would be a much stronger lineup.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Would you be upset with those TSN guys if their tune on the Canucks changes to how the SN group is like towards the Canucks if they join SN650?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Would you be upset with those TSN guys if their tune on the Canucks changes to how the SN group is like towards the Canucks if they join SN650?

Nah. I don't get upset over these kind of things. But honestly, I don't really see the type of differences that some are claiming there to be. If there's a corporate directive to be more diplomatic, I don't think that's a big deal. But hey if those TSN guys feels they can't do the job under the SN environment they are free to not take the job if offered.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Are you saying 650 is pro-management because they're house radio? I never thought that was the case. Sat has been very critical towards Benning for years now. There are a few shills but I don't think that's anything to do with the station they're on. Donnie and the Moj were huge Benning fans on 1040 for the longest time.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tried listening to 650 a bit today ... is it just me or does the station *sound* like crap? Voices on 1040 came across way more clearly; everything on 650 is like...muffled.
There’s something weak about their radio signal. I listen over the Internet, and that sounds better. I think their radio signal is 10,000 Watts. Good stations are usually 50,000 or more I think.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I agree with most of your posts Jyrki but I disagree here. I grew up out east and was a fan of the Jays and Raptors before the Canucks despite Canucks being my number one team now. Regardless of Bell and Rogers involvement with them I’m not going to let fandom of one team alter my fandom of another unless they play in the same league. Luckily I’ll never have that problem with the Canucks and Senators as the chances of them meeting in the finals in my lifetime is essentially zero.
I mean I'm not saying everyone who cheers for them is evil, least of all someone from their home(ish) territory. :laugh: Just pointing out that the telcos have a pretty vested interest in encouraging as many people as possible who can receive their networks (i.e. all of Canada) to support their assets (Toronto sports teams) and you'd expect them to behave accordingly... and they do. And as a Westerner I just find it kind of unfortunate how many people buy into it without question. The CTV Sportsnet model was amazing. And Rogers totally killed it. But unfortunately a lot of BC fans give them reason to.

BTW, did you grow up in Ottawa then? (It says hi).

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
They wont have to be, no competition in town. 1040 wasn't soft when they had the Nucks rights.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Even if this was true, it has nothing to do with your original suggestion that you are okay with guys losing their jobs purely if they had been too critical of the Canucks. But that's fine, to each their own.
That was not only not my original statement, it's something I didn't say. My original comment was about CKST in it's pre sports format days. It's true that I don't have much sympathy for anyone who called for someone to lose their job but I don't remember belaboring the point. I hadn't actually listened to n1o040 in several years.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Are you saying 650 is pro-management because they're house radio? I never thought that was the case. Sat has been very critical towards Benning for years now. There are a few shills but I don't think that's anything to do with the station they're on. Donnie and the Moj were huge Benning fans on 1040 for the longest time.

I think the same way. Obviously you don't want to go full on Donald Trump on people you regularly have on your show. That's just common sense and manners. Halford and Brough, for example, I find more diplomatic than Sekeres and Sat.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
650 is brutal to listen to.

Hosts are obnoxious. Reach Deep has two guys whose voices are not distinct from each other or in general. There are very few segments to provide variety. I cant listen to guys monotoning about how bad the Canucks are all day, repeating their bland takes over and over. Goodbye sports radio.

Reactions: geebaan

Nuckler

May 7, 2013

I think it might bring about a good balance if you have some guys more critical and some more positive on a station, created good discussion. The morning guys definitely worked on turning the house of negativity around a bit over the last year though.

It's also healthy for an organization to have some accountability and be asked the hard questions. Keeps the standards high and helps them gauge expectations a bit.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Have listened to a bit more 650 this week.

So far - I like Canucks Central at 12 and I still like Sat/Walker.

The rest isn't really doing it for me yet, but it's a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad