Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
Did anyone else get really irritated by this excerpt from Thursday's Armies?

upload_2021-2-13_10-20-34.png

It's becoming clearer and clearer to me how much contempt Drance has for the Vancouver fanbase. "Noone really cares about the tribute videos". "It's silly to think Benning will get fired". "It's preposterous that Jt Miller isn't putting in enough effort."

The idea that the team will, down the line, have a make-up tribute video event for Markstrom and Tanev is patently ridiculous. I'll eat my hat if they do that. No, you get one return game to thank the players and the team spat in their faces again by including Leivo in the video. Don't act like Beagle's 600th game matters whatsoever. Don't act like Leivo being relegated to second-class status matters whatsoever. This was the chance to thank Tanev for a decade of eating rubber and Markstrom for carrying the entire team on his back for at least 2 seasons.

Drance putting lipstick on a pig does not sit well with me. Not at all, and definitely not in the wake of 1040

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

"I’m hearing that former #TSN1040 staff are looking at developing streaming options rather than pursuing conventional broadcast platforms. The revolution won’t be televised or broadcast on radio, apparently."

Do it! Youtube Live. Discord, Twitch etc are all options. I'd like to see the Athletic back it potentially.

One thing to talk about it, but another thing to put in the leg work to get it off the ground and coordinate with everyone. Easier to do that now with technology vs. what Carson had to do around the millennium to get Team 1040 off the ground.

Again, who is going to be the leader, aka, the CEO of this venture? Who has what it takes to lead the group before some take opportunities elsewhere before this venture comes to fruition?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
One thing to talk about it, but another thing to put in the leg work to get it off the ground and coordinate with everyone. Easier to do that now with technology vs. what Carson had to do around the millennium to get Team 1040 off the ground.

Again, who is going to be the leader, aka, the CEO of this venture? Who has what it takes to lead the group before some take opportunities elsewhere before this venture comes to fruition?
The fans deserve representation.

We demand representation.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Tuned into the Wrap Up on 650 for the first time while driving earlier and just... couldn't. The stuff the guy was saying made no sense, there was no coherent argument being put forth, way too many pauses to think about what to say and top it off the signal was poor. :help: How does anyone listen to this?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I don't know most of SN650 hosts' backgrounds. I tuned into the Canucks Central last week. it was like sitting on a board meeting, or listening to an interviewee ("life long middle manager"...) talked, so uncomfortable.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory

View attachment 395945
It's becoming clearer and clearer to me how much contempt Drance has for the Vancouver fanbase. "Noone really cares about the tribute videos". "It's silly to think Benning will get fired". "It's preposterous that Jt Miller isn't putting in enough effort."

The idea that the team will, down the line, have a make-up tribute video event for Markstrom and Tanev is patently ridiculous. I'll eat my hat if they do that. No, you get one return game to thank the players and the team spat in their faces again by including Leivo in the video. Don't act like Beagle's 600th game matters whatsoever. Don't act like Leivo being relegated to second-class status matters whatsoever. This was the chance to thank Tanev for a decade of eating rubber and Markstrom for carrying the entire team on his back for at least 2 seasons.

Drance putting lipstick on a pig does not sit well with me. Not at all, and definitely not in the wake of 1040
i think you are reading far, far too much into this. It's a guy trying to make sentences to make an article to make a deadline.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

View attachment 395945

Nah. Not irritated at all. It’s kind of awkward to watch a tribute video in front of your current and former colleagues but without fans. If I was Tanev I would want to get some acknowledgment from my former team but without fans if there are 3 guys returning for the first time I wouldn’t care if there is one video instead of 3.

I think Tanev deserves a tribute. Markstrom deserves one to a lesser extent. Not many shouldn’t care it Leivo gets one.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

View attachment 395945

Very well said.

This once again encapsulates so much that is wrong and has been wrong for the past half decade.

Crap treatment of true Canucks.

Incompetent management that is so brutal as to be offensive.

Lapdog zero integrity media trying - and utterly failing - to make excuses for incompetent management.

Shilling posts here in HFCanucks to downplay what a clusterf*** the whole thing is.

All that's missing is a tweet from the owner about some covid excuse.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Very well said.

This once again encapsulates so much that is wrong and has been wrong for the past half decade.

Crap treatment of true Canucks.

Incompetent management that is so brutal as to be offensive.

Lapdog zero integrity media trying - and utterly failing - to make excuses for incompetent management.

Shilling posts here in HFCanucks to downplay what a clusterf*** the whole thing is.

All that's missing is a tweet from the owner about some covid excuse.
Could Drance be seeking a job at 650, so he’s now “positive Tom”?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Drance has, if anything, turned up the heat in recent weeks along with the rest of the Athletic staff. Player recognition clips are really not a big deal – this is an awkward setting and I think he explained it fine in both the Athletic and on the VanCast.

But he's been much more outspoken about mismanagement for the last little while, and basically issued a challenge to 650 to do more than carry water (not quite in those words, obviously) now that 1040 is gone. He was somewhat critical of the #FireBenning hashtag and a lot of online momentum, but I think this had more to do with timing than anything else. (I quite vociferously disagree with the timing rationale, but I suppose it's defensible).

Reactions: rypper and m9

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh but hey, speaking of 650, and the national media's tendency to be apologists for current management, I can't help but find stuff like this disappointing:

Money talks this year. No fans so massive drop in revenue. Quaratine rules so you are going to have to wait on a guy to come up from the US.
Have to put out the fire, which SN from Friedman helped set by the way.

Don't think any NHL team is going to let anyone go until late in the season at the earliest.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Money talks this year. No fans so massive drop in revenue. Quaratine rules so you are going to have to wait on a guy to come up from the US.
Have to put out the fire, which SN from Friedman helped set by the way.

Don't think any NHL team is going to let anyone go until late in the season at the earliest.
Except for Pit and Zona.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

View attachment 395945

I see people are mad at Drance, but did Drance even write this? I don't have an Athletic subscription but his name is referenced in the writing and I doubt he would refer to himself like that.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I see people are mad at Drance, but did Drance even write this? I don't have an Athletic subscription but his name is referenced in the writing and I doubt he would refer to himself like that.
Only the part in quotations is from the article, the rest is the poster’s thoughts

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
650 is terrible. If you live in White Rock and it rains or snows no reception. How can anyone call this a professional radio show ? They sound so muffled most of the time too. 1040 was clear as water.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
650 is terrible. If you live in White Rock and it rains or snows no reception. How can anyone call this a professional radio show ? They sound so muffled most of the time too. 1040 was clear as water.
I live right in vancouver and it sounds a bit boxed... can’t quite put my finger on it but I have to have the radio volume on high to really follow along...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->