Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the same way. Obviously you don't want to go full on Donald Trump on people you regularly have on your show. That's just common sense and manners. Halford and Brough, for example, I find more diplomatic than Sekeres and Sat.

At the end of the day, Halford and Brough just want the Canucks to be good so I know they may be critical but have good intentions. I can't say that's true about some of the other hosts.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I generally listened to 1040 after the fact anyway and would probably do the same thing with 650 but I remember when 650 first came on air if you went east of Langley you would just get static.

Have they improved their signal?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I generally listened to 1040 after the fact anyway and would probably do the same thing with 650 but I remember when 650 first came on air if you went east of Langley you would just get static.

Have they improved their signal?

No. Certain spots in Langley it cuts out and I hear the faint sound of music.

Reactions: rypper

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No. Certain spots in Langley it cuts out and I hear the faint sound of music.
That actually happens to a lot of AM and FM stations in the Vancouver market. The signal fades when you're on the outskirts of Abbotsford and heading east. I guess they figure anything east of Surrey is in the boonies and not worth worrying about anyway.

Reactions: m9

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
That actually happens to a lot of AM and FM stations in the Vancouver market. The signal fades when you're on the outskirts of Abbotsford and heading east. I guess they figure anything east of Surrey is in the boonies and not worth worrying about anyway.
Not really true. I live in Langley, 1040 always came through clear as could be. 650 had a terrible signal from the day it launched. I have never noticed any other station with as poor a signal out here.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I've only ever noticed it for 650, at least in the last few years.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I've only ever noticed it for 650, at least in the last few years.

Yeah I'm in the valley and 1040 was always clear, but 650 since they started has been unlistenable static.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah I'm in the valley and 1040 was always clear, but 650 since they started has been unlistenable static.
That’s the difference between a 50,000 watt amplified signal and a 10,000 watt signal. 650 was once called Senile because of its call letters and music platform.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I mean I'm not saying everyone who cheers for them is evil, least of all someone from their home(ish) territory. :laugh: Just pointing out that the telcos have a pretty vested interest in encouraging as many people as possible who can receive their networks (i.e. all of Canada) to support their assets (Toronto sports teams) and you'd expect them to behave accordingly... and they do. And as a Westerner I just find it kind of unfortunate how many people buy into it without question. The CTV Sportsnet model was amazing. And Rogers totally killed it. But unfortunately a lot of BC fans give them reason to.

BTW, did you grow up in Ottawa then? (It says hi).

Its all good I still love you and yes I lived there until I was ten and we moved out west around 1996. Have fond memories of the Canal and backyard rinks. I was dumb enough as a kid to stick my foot in one of the ice holes at the Canal and got taken home by paramedics lol. I’ve sadly not been back since I was an adult as it’s like 1/3 cheaper to go to New York and slightly more expensive to go to Europe. I gotta get back some day soon though.

And I don’t disagree about the media part. It’s a double edged sword. Those media groups make great sports owners as they let you spend to the cap with pretty much complete autonomy. For the Raptors anyways. Blue Jays are a bit different since the MLB doesn’t have a real cap.

I was just talking with a friend an hour ago how it sucked when Rogers bought the Score and then completely trashed it. I miss the Score. But that’s basically Canada now. People bitch about the CBC but it’s one of maybe 5 media sources left in the country not owned by an evil conglomerate which tend to be heavily conservative. National Post and Postmedia already starting up their propaganda for an election that doesn’t exist yet.

Reactions: vanuck and Jyrki21

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I grew up on the island listening to games on CKNW and it was like they reduced the power from 10,000 watts to 5 whenever there was a Canucks game on. As a kid I would listen to entire games through interference so bad sometimes you had to wait ten minutes to finally piece together a goal or some other important play. And it was some weird, different kind of sound every time with a different rhythm.

VZZZZZOOOOOOOOP bzzzzzzz Ronning carries it over center and dishsZZOOOOOOOP bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz around the boards to Lumme whoVSSSHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOP

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I grew up on the island listening to games on CKNW and it was like they reduced the power from 10,000 watts to 5 whenever there was a Canucks game on. As a kid I would listen to entire games through interference so bad sometimes you had to wait ten minutes to finally piece together a goal or some other important play. And it was some weird, different kind of sound every time with a different rhythm.

VZZZZZOOOOOOOOP bzzzzzzz Ronning carries it over center and dishsZZOOOOOOOP bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz around the boards to Lumme whoVSSSHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOP

bandy, that . . . that wasn't the radio

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
That’s the difference between a 50,000 watt amplified signal and a 10,000 watt signal. 650 was once called Senile because of its call letters and music platform.

CISL is 20,000 watts daytime, 4,000 watts nighttime. CKST is 50,000 day and night. It does make a huge difference when driving out into the valley. What I don't understand is why 650 sounds so fuzzy on Optik TV.

Reactions: m9 and Luckylarry

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
it’s really heartbreaking, I grew up listening to 1040 have met pretty much all of them on air talent on there and they’re all such great people.

LoL, this is the real world bub... businesses close, people get fired. time to grow up little one!

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
It is time for some of them to get real jobs. so they got laid off. lots of people lose there jobs every day.

they do not get a funeral ceremony like TSN 1040 are getting .

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As the old saying goes, I have seen the enemy and 'he' is 'me'. Sure Bell Media could have handled collapsing TSN 1040 a lot better.

But they're basically off the air, at least as a Sports-talk radio format, for the simple reason that not enough people were listening. It's the same thing as people lamenting the loss of the bricks and mortar corner store, while they're buying everything they need through Amazon and Buy Direct Club, while getting it delivered to their door by UPS or FedEx.

Nobody is listening to radio any more. You can set up a playlist through YouTube and hear all your favorite tunes without the interruption of any commercials. People get their sports communication talk-fix through social media platforms, not AM radio.

It's sad that so many dedicated and knowledgeable radio personalities are out on the street. But some of the people lamenting TSN 1040's passing are crying crocodile tears imo.

Reactions: Jay Cee

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It is time for some of them to get real jobs. so they got laid off. lots of people lose there jobs every day.

I can’t see what you are replying to but just to be safe. f*** off

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I just tried. 650 is brutal. Tej said Green has done great things with this team and the Canucks are moving in the right direction. He said if they make changes in management whoever gets the keys is getting a pretty nice car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad