Speculation: Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
What happens to RFA's that the Canucks don't come to agreeable terms with?
Do they just sit until traded?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
What's the scouting report on Dzingel? He's a UFA too I think, plays LW. Haven't watched him at all.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
What happens to RFA's that the Canucks don't come to agreeable terms with?
Do they just sit until traded?

First you have to tender them a qualifying offer to retain their rights, typically current base salary with a 10-15% raise, the player can accept this and it's a one year deal, or they can decline (normal) and negotiate a different deal but the team retains their rights.

If the team doesn't tender a QO to an RFA they become a UFA.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
What's the scouting report on Dzingel? He's a UFA too I think, plays LW. Haven't watched him at all.
kind of guy who should get a contract like 3 years 15 million but will get 5 years 25-30 million because teams lose their shit in free agency. I really don't trust any player coming off a career year heading into free agency.

Guys like Ryan Dzingel are the types you find and develop late in the draft. If this team can't produce a dzingel of their own then they aren't doing their jobs and need to be replaced like the Pro Scouting.

Reactions: Cousin Tangibles

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
First you have to tender them a qualifying offer to retain their rights, typically current base salary with a 10-15% raise, the player can accept this and it's a one year deal, or they can decline (normal) and negotiate a different deal but the team retains their rights.

Thanks for that info.
Granlund. goldy. motte. pouliot - dont tender a QO

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's because Vancouver had no offensive talent in the system and with the Sedin's nearing the end of their rope we needed to gamble on the smaller boom bust guys with legit top six talent, not the safer pick who's potential wasn't as high but you'd at least get a Raffi Torres type player out of.

I'd imagine Flames fans were looking at having Gaudreau-Monahan in the system already and thinking the physical RW, an Iginla replacement if you will, would be a better fit there than another tiny winger.

I can see that. But at the end of the day what does it mean? Nothing except fans have needs in mind?

I favoured Nylander/Ehlers at the time of the draft but Benning haters still believe that if Gillis was in charge that's who the Canucks would have drafted. That's despite the fact that Canucks drafted Horvat over Domi despite Domi having the higher offensive upside. The Canucks also did this "study" where they identified the leagues where NHL players come from. Reportedly they liked Dlyan Larkin before the Canucks tanked and ended up drafting 6th overall. More recently, Gilman said that that study suggested they had overvalued the QMJHL. My guess is that if it wasn't Virtanen it would have been Ritchie.

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
Sign Zuccarello, i think he is the one decent scoring option that would sign for 2 years or less. I would also look at Stralman for a 2 year deal as well. The Canucks have to give themselves as much flexibility as possible for when Petterssons contract is up and for the expansion draft. I fully understand that they would have to be overpaid to take 2 years or less but dont think that would hurt the Canucks cap situation for the next 2 years.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Sign Zuccarello, i think he is the one decent scoring option that would sign for 2 years or less. I would also look at Stralman for a 2 year deal as well. The Canucks have to give themselves as much flexibility as possible for when Petterssons contract is up and for the expansion draft. I fully understand that they would have to be overpaid to take 2 years or less but dont think that would hurt the Canucks cap situation for the next 2 years.

Pearson - Horvat - Zuccarello would be a good line.

Reactions: Lackhalak

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

For me the X-factor these next two seasons is what happens with Luongo's retirement & recapture.

Nov 1, 2011
Initial UFA signings always get overpaid and there really is no reason for us to overpay for anybody.

If a franchise player is available, then overpay if they'd come. Otherwise, just shop the bargain bin and keep your powder dry for an eventual cap dump that will net assets plus the same level of player you would have overpaid anyways.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
kind of guy who should get a contract like 3 years 15 million but will get 5 years 25-30 million because teams lose their **** in free agency. I really don't trust any player coming off a career year heading into free agency.

Guys like Ryan Dzingel are the types you find and develop late in the draft. If this team can't produce a dzingel of their own then they aren't doing their jobs and need to be replaced like the Pro Scouting.

Thanks for the take but that doesn't answer my question at all.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tanev dealt at the draft to acquire another 1st or a young forward. He's entering the last year of his contract and I'm not so sure the Canucks would want to commit long-term.

Reactions: MarkMM

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Could you directly quote the article where EP 'told' management that he wants a scoring winger..?.I'm sure most us can't read the article because its behind a paywall..thanks..
If you like sports at all, The Athletic is must-read material. The subscription cost is really cheap considering the amount and quality of the content. It is well worth the money!

Reactions: DomY

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

That's correct except that qualifying offers are never more than 10% raise (players whose base salary last season was $1M or more).

Well it's kind of hard to come up with these players late in the draft. Jannik Hansen is closest the Canucks have come in recent memory and he's not as offensively productive.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Dont roast me.....but for some reason I smell a trade offer for PK. Nagging hunch
More than a 'nagging hunch' imo. From all reports Nashville wants to move PK and if they falter in the playoffs, the push could really be on. And of course Jimbo was fined by the NHL once before for expressing interest in PK when he was still with the Habs. So who knows?

But as far as offensive players are concerned and scanning the UFA lists, realistically there's only a handful of players who would even qualify as a 'scoring winger' and most of them aren't coming anywhere near VanCity.

The list is headlined by Panerin and Duchene......but unless Jimbo throws ridiculous coin at either one, they're not coming here. There's a second tier of guys like Brock Nelson; Anders Lee; Gustav Nyquist; Kevin Hayes; and Joe Pavelski. But most of these guys are in the low 20-goal a season range on teams that are a lot better than the Canucks.

So about the only golf club Jimbo has in the bag is a 'trade'. I suspect he could target a guy like William Nylander, who the Leafs might have overpaid; or Andre Burakovsky, who seems to have worn out his welcome in Washington.

So 'saying' you want to add a scoring winger is one thing....actually 'making it happen; is another.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I don't think Ferland is on the Canucks radar. He's not a true goal scorer that the Canucks need, he's a grinder who can pot the garbage goals when on the right line and is very very very streaky.

Benning I think will be more focused on getting more skilled players than Ferland on July 1, and Ferland isn't going to make it past the first day of UFA.

Ferland is definitely on the Canucks radar. We were thinking of picking him up back in January.

31 Thoughts: Buyers, sellers emerging ahead of NHL Trade Deadline - Sportsnet.ca
#4 of 31 thoughts by Freidman

Additionally, there is some familiarity with Ferland and Weisbrod as well. I would not be surprised to hear that the Canucks make a big offer for Ferland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->