Confirmed with Link: Vancouver Canucks Sign Josh Teves (D, Princeton) To Entry Level Deal

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i am assuming the canucks think this guy is on a delayed development curve and has room to grow at 24.
one thing for sure is the canucks have a lot of college edjumicated dmen in their system.
Just hope the Canucks aren't just settling. Can they land any of the more higher regarded RHD? This brings their contract total to 48. 2 spots left for the remainder of this season.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Brandon Tanev also signed a contract like this that took him to the end of the current season and then resigned with the Jets iirc.

Lets hope Teves finds similar success here.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Utica is in really bad shape at LD, they need Sautner & Brisebois as soon as is feasible. This gives the Canucks a bit of breathing room while waiting on Hutton & Hughes.
Yep, that is how I see it. Send a couple of Utica guys back. Teves likely signed here on the condition he could a signing bonus and a few weeks of NHL pay. The team can walk away after this season or if they like him sign him and send him to the minors next year for more development. Good signing.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I have a feeling Judd had his mitts on this signing. probably convinced John Weisbrod too since he love's the "diamond in the rough" type players.

Judd? No way. This all Jim Benning's work, even though he's probably never seen him and just admitted he is going on scout's recommendations.

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Or, the Canucks can simply not offer him a contract. He's an RFA in the summer.

I don't see them doing that unless he's brutal.

Look at what the Comets are dealing with now depth wise. They need to add more bodies down there, and ideally bodies that are part of the organization and development plan.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I will say that I don’t know anything about this guy, but just because a prospect is free doesn’t automatically make it a good signing when we have limited contracts and signing one guy means you can’t sign others.

its a 1 year deal, so its not as stressful on the contract limit as some deals for college players who dont work out can be

also he's a speedy pmd with nhl upside, i'm only familiar with him because of his invite to canuck camp last year though.

our college scouting has been good, i trust them and its a player that fills an organizational need

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I don't see them doing that unless he's brutal.

Look at what the Comets are dealing with now depth wise. They need to add more bodies down there, and ideally bodies that are part of the organization and development plan.

I agree, but you were referring to the "worst case," I believe. The worst case is that he's brutal and doesn't get offered a contract, or even an AHL deal.

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Judd? No way. This all Jim Benning's work, even though he's probably never seen him and just admitted he is going on scout's recommendations.

Judd Brackett is head of scouting so he definitely has a say in terms of scout recommendations. Also, Teves has already been in our prospects training camp already so Jim has definitely seen him play because he was paired up with Quinn Hughes.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Impression I get is that he was not at the real high end of NCAA free agents. Thus pretty easy signing.

The tough gets are/were player like Tarose and Kuffner (Detroit), Duszak (Toronto) and especially Vernneau (Ottawa). If Benning was getting these players would be more enthused.

That could change if they get Strum but I doubt that happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad