Confirmed with Link: Vancouver Canucks Sign Josh Teves (D, Princeton) To Entry Level Deal

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
For this of you wondering. he can not play in Utica in the playoffs. so he plays in Vancouver .

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not sure about this signing. I first heard his name in connection with the Canucks before he became a former camp invitee. Among his peers he's fine. It's only for a year so basically a Griffen Molino type signing.

You don't sign a guy like Teivo expecting he'll be in the NHL anytime soon, and between the NHL-AHL and injuries each side should have 8 players on your depth chart.

You sign him either to be AHL depth or that he will be in the NHL soon. He's 24 years old. He's not a guy you plan on developing for 3-4 years.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Jim Benning on Teves signing: "He’s a smart two-way defenceman; always makes good decisions with the puck. A good passer. He’s a little bit older (24), so physically he’s mature." Teves is on a one-year deal, will join Canucks immediately. Will get new contract in the summer.

Reactions: lindgren

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
How is it a weird move?

Because we have enough bottom-pair defensemen. Adding another one for like 10 games really doesn't matter. Guess it'll be nice to have someone to play over the tire fire that is Pouliot, though. Not sure why you can't just wait until the summer instead of having to negotiate an entirely new deal in like a month.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
To clarify: the one-year deal is for *this* season, so expires in April. He'll be RFA then. But CBA only allows for a one-year deal because of his age. "Our college scouts really like him," Benning added. He was at Canucks' development camp last summer.
1 reply4 retweets12 likes
Reply 1

Retweet 4

Like 12

Reactions: lindgren

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Jim Benning on Teves signing: "He’s a smart two-way defenceman; always makes good decisions with the puck. A good passer. He’s a little bit older (24), so physically he’s mature." Teves is on a one-year deal, will join Canucks immediately. Will get new contract in the summer.
Fact is, he’s rfa in the summer. If he’s total trash then let him walk. Very low risk.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Haven't seen the details but I'm guessing that this deal is for next season and he will join Utica on a tryout basis. There is no reason to have this guy in Vancouver right now; the Comets might actually be able to use him.

PS, he's a right-hand shot.

sports5-1.jpg

Lefty shot, it's a typo on hockeydb.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Because we have enough bottom-pair defensemen. Adding another one for like 10 games really doesn't matter. Guess it'll be nice to have someone to play over the tire fire that is Pouliot, though. Not sure why you can't just wait until the summer instead of having to negotiate an entirely new deal in like a month.
Pretty simple. Other teams were trying to sign him. Wait, don’t get the player

Reactions: drivier

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Haven't seen the details but I'm guessing that this deal is for next season and he will join Utica on a tryout basis. There is no reason to have this guy in Vancouver right now; the Comets might actually be able to use him.

PS, he's a right-hand shot.

HockeyDB.com is wrong. He's a lefty-handed shot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Meh.

Another undersized LHS skill defender. Not sure what the point of this is when you already have Hughes, Stecher, Pouliot, Juolevi in the system.

Good season in 17-18, poor season this year. Princeton had a disaster season but that isn’t an excuse as - unlike most college team down years - Princeton didn’t have a graduating exodus and basically returned almost all of their top players from 17-18.

Know nothing about him otherwise.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Rangers fan here. A couple years ago I read up on this guy and watched him a few times. I wanted the Rangers to sign him. He was one of the top undrafted NCAA free agents and intrigued me then. Not so sure about now (production went down), but compared to others, he still has decent potential. I like his style of play. Playmaking defensemen that isn’t bad defensively. I think he’s a good skater as well, but it’s been a while since I last watched him.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
possibly we just signed him so we could get his rights and sign him in the summer. really hard to see how gets ice time without a lot of people getting demoted and sat down.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Utica is in really bad shape at LD, they need Sautner & Brisebois as soon as is feasible. This gives the Canucks a bit of breathing room while waiting on Hutton & Hughes.

Reactions: Son of Petter

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I suppose among the avalanche of college FA signings I've seen coming down the pike in recent days it was incredibly important we lock up Josh Teves.
Our US scouts like him, that’s all I need to know. Not familiar with the player but he was coveted by other teams as well

Reactions: bcbill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad