Confirmed with Link: Vancouver Canucks Sign Josh Teves (D, Princeton) To Entry Level Deal

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Judd? No way. This all Jim Benning's work, even though he's probably never seen him and just admitted he is going on scout's recommendations.

You just contradicted yourself there. It's all Jim Benning's work but he is going on scout's recommendations?

Judd's area of scouting was primarily in the New England area. Guess what? A few of ECAC schools are from that region and Princeton isn't far away. Also, Princeton was a heavily scouted team. It's not like Teves was some obscure player playing in some small school.

Reactions: DomY

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
“Sign college FAs!”
“Wtf is this pointless signing?”

This place is pure comedy gold.

Gold, Jerry! Gold!

Can there be good and bad college FA signings? I’m not even saying this one is bad, but just because a player only costs a contract spot doesn’t mean it is automatically a good signing. We are choosing this player over targeting others.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With a mechanical engineering degree from Princeton, Teves has a lot of options if hockey doesn't work out. Seems to me though that when it comes to d-men, the Canucks are just throwing darts at the board hoping some of them stick.

They've already signed Mitch Eliot and now Teves. Are they good enough to even help Utica right now?

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
With a mechanical engineering degree from Princeton, Teves has a lot of options if hockey doesn't work out. Seems to me though that when it comes to d-men, the Canucks are just throwing darts at the board hoping some of them stick.

They've already signed Mitch Eliot and now Teves. Are they good enough to even help Utica right now?
Good question, the Canucks have had ufa college luck with d men that includes Hutton and Stetcher... they’ve had other that have failed.

In many ways you are throwing darts but it is possible for some of these guys to come in and makes impacts.

Truth is, the Canucks prospect pool was so pathetic before Benning arrived that he almost has to make a few of these types of move to top things up.

Remember not too long ago when Schroeder was the Canucks top prospect. They’ve come a long way.

I think Eliot is a flyer but hard to say until these guys go play in Utica. I actually really like Teves and I think he has a shot.

In an ideal world, Canucks are deep enough that they can force out the non nhl deal guys in Utica like like Darcy and Woods....

Right now they have a bunch of filler which doesn’t do anything. No one gets developed and you can’t call them up. Keep addding depth so one day everyone on that teams serves a purpose.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Is it unthinkable that Teves develops into a top 4 defenseman? I really like what I see from his scouting report and his production at Princeton.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Good question, the Canucks have had ufa college luck with d men that includes Hutton and Stetcher... they’ve had other that have failed.

In many ways you are throwing darts but it is possible for some of these guys to come in and makes impacts.

Truth is, the Canucks prospect pool was so pathetic before Benning arrived that he almost has to make a few of these types of move to top things up.

Remember not too long ago when Schroeder was the Canucks top prospect. They’ve come a long way.

I think Eliot is a flyer but hard to say until these guys go play in Utica. I actually really like Teves and I think he has a shot.

In an ideal world, Canucks are deep enough that they can force out the non nhl deal guys in Utica like like Darcy and Woods....

Right now they have a bunch of filler which doesn’t do anything. No one gets developed and you can’t call them up. Keep addding depth so one day everyone on that teams serves a purpose.

Hutton was drafted by Mike Gillis. Stecher and Tanev were college free agents.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Is it unthinkable that Teves develops into a top 4 defenseman? I really like what I see from his scouting report and his production at Princeton.

it is sufficiently remote as a possibility that we can learn nothing by discussing the possibility. as such, musing about it serves no discernible intellectual purpose.

but if you want to go with a bet on a longshot hunch, why not.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The college UFAs that make it are usually 21-22 y/o guys. Like Stecher was.

These 24 year olds are almost always crap.

Teves is only about 10 months younger than Stecher.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I remember this guy from prospects camp. He stood out to me for his skating and transition, but he was much older than the rest of the guys there.

1 yr won't hurt too much but I agree the 24 yr olds NCAA FAs seem more for Utica than actual viable prospects.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

It's incredible that he names drops the new 'C+" level prospect who are extremely unlikely to be NHL successes in this quote.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's incredible that he names drops the new 'C+" level prospect who are extremely unlikely to be NHL successes in this quote.

This is the same guy who thought the 17-18 Utica Comets would have 10 future NHLers ... so maybe not that incredible.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
This is the same guy who thought the 17-18 Utica Comets would have 10 future NHLers ... so maybe not that incredible.

Well that quote is wrong solely for the reason that they now have 11** future NHLers

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

well it's harmless and gives the kid a boost when he reads it. i prefer he does that than actually put pressure on a highly touted prospect by singling him out in those kind of comments.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
well it's harmless and gives the kid a boost when he reads it. i prefer he does that than actually put pressure on a highly touted prospect by singling him out in those kind of comments.

By setting him up as a "highly touted prospect" as a 24 year old at all is setting him up for failure IMO.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You just contradicted yourself there. It's all Jim Benning's work but he is going on scout's recommendations?

Judd's area of scouting was primarily in the New England area. Guess what? A few of ECAC schools are from that region and Princeton isn't far away. Also, Princeton was a heavily scouted team. It's not like Teves was some obscure player playing in some small school.
dKwjtD0.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks keep rolling the dice on college and junior UFA's, and surprisingly some of them actually work out. Guys like MacEwen, Sautner and Stecher were never drafted despite three years of eligibility. And even guys like Kulbakov,Chatfield and McEneny have been useful depth signings in the organization.

So with Teves and Eliot I suppose you can 'never' say 'never'. They could be the next MacEwen and Stecher, or the next Zalewski and Molino. But I guess that's why they play the games in Utica.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

I'd be shocked if teves cracks our roster next year. I dont see how he significantly dictates our July 1 plans.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'd be shocked if teves cracks our roster next year. I dont see how he significantly dictates our July 1 plans.

We have very few players ready to push for roster spots next year. Especially considering Gaudette and Demko are already on the team. It'll be Hughes (guaranteed spot for publicity even if he's not ready), and MacEwan (should be with the team already).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We have very few players ready to push for roster spots next year. Especially considering Gaudette and Demko are already on the team. It'll be Hughes (guaranteed spot for publicity even if he's not ready), and MacEwan (should be with the team already).

Pretty much this.

On what planet do we have lots of guys pushing for jobs?

Maybe MacEwen and Sautner for depth spots and Hughes gets a free spot no matter that and that’s it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You'd have to think Juolevi comes very close to a free spot too, assuming he isn't in a body cast or anything come September.

I would be absolutely stunned if he’s on the roster. He wasn’t even close to being an NHL player - and was quite frankly a below-average AHL player at ES - and then will have had almost a full year off.

I’m sure they’re desperate to make the pick look less bad but the player we saw last year would be an embarrassment at this level and you can’t shelter both him and Hughes at the same time.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I would be absolutely stunned if he’s on the roster. He wasn’t even close to being an NHL player - and was quite frankly a below-average AHL player at ES - and then will have had almost a full year off.

I’m sure they’re desperate to make the pick look less bad but the player we saw last year would be an embarrassment at this level and you can’t shelter both him and Hughes at the same time.
Not saying it's a good idea, but I expect they'll do whatever they can to make it look like everything is proceeding according to plan (and they are drafting gurus).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad