Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Could this be the worst one yet amongst all teams?
This is by the far the worst outbreak of any team in any sport save for maybe a few college football teams last spring/summer though those are much larger teams and many of their players were basically actively seeking out getting infected so they could achieve herd immunity amongst themselves.

Reactions: bh53

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Terrible situation.

Assuming that it can take up to 2 weeks for COVID to really take hold you have to look at the road trip Vancouver had 2 weeks ago to Ottawa and Montreal and things are spiking there now.

I can't help but thinking returning snowbirds from Florida is fueling this in Quebec.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can't help but thinking returning snowbirds from Florida is fueling this in Quebec.

To clarify

Snowbirds could NOT drive into the US but could fly and then ship their cars. Coming home they can drive but have to do the 14-day quarantine which in reality is impossible to enforce.

2 weeks ago I saw many Ontario and Quebec plates in New York State.

Vancouver has a taxi squad but they elected to keep the AHL team in Utica, NY so that will be an issue.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Only missed one game. One more tonight and tomorrow and a few this COMING week

Hamonic has a kid who is considered VULNERABLE and hes on the list, hope to heck he and his kid pull thru this

I saw that too. I’d be surprised if he returns after this even if everything with the team is ok. He did sit out last time and was slower to commit to this season

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This is by the far the worst outbreak of any team in any sport save for maybe a few college football teams last spring/summer though those are much larger teams and many of their players were basically actively seeking out getting infected so they could achieve herd immunity amongst themselves.

Amongst all NHL teams...

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
A few people in this thread seem pretty quick to write off Vancouver's season over this. I'm not saying they're wrong but what if it was a team at the top of the standings (and who knows, maybe that conversation's coming)? What if it was Tampa or Vegas? Very weird dynamic going on here. Was really hoping this wouldn't surface at all in the NHL let alone the worst outbreak in all of sports. Good luck 'Nucks, hope your team gets through this unscathed.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Why are people leaving the country during a pandemic... even worse why aren’t people following the quarantine when you come back?... if you’re leaving the country don’t ruin it for everyone else by spreading this shit. Honestly, people not following the quarantine and bringing these variants into the country to run rapid and potentially killing people should be charged for this in the same way you would if you got in a car drunk and crashed into someone, you made a poor decision that others are paying the price for.

I don't want to derail this with unrelated COVID talk but the snowbirds returning is a factor.

The Canucks took a VIA charter train from Ottawa to Montreal as flying between those 2 cities isn't practical. Teams in the NHL east are using Amtrak between Washington and Philly for the same reason.

Reactions: Gjman2019

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't want to derail this with unrelated COVID talk but the snowbirds returning is a factor.

The Canucks took a VIA charter train from Ottawa to Montreal as flying between those 2 cities isn't practical. Teams in the NHL east are using Amtrak between Washington and Philly for the same reason.

Snowbirds in Florida were vaccinated if they wanted though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yep. Vancouver will not play another game for the rest of the season IMO. They literally cannot play another game until 14 days after every player and coaching staff member has had negative tests. That might take another 3 weeks. What's the point then? Plus BC and Ontario are going downhill fast and there's a 4 week lockdown in Ontario. You should not be allowed to play hockey games during a lockdown. That is special treatment. If another Canadian team tests positive then I could see Canada shutting down hockey for all 7 teams and the playoffs will be cancelled.

Just a note, Ontario's "lockdown" is being called a Mockdown by many. It's a lockdown in name only. Pretty much just in person restaurant, and gyms closed. Kids still in school, retail still open, at reduced capacity. Ontario also has a growing situation with variants of concern, and a doubling rate of every 1.6 weeks right now.

Who knows what will happen, but thoughts to all in the Canucks organization, in recovering quickly and fully.

Coming back to play hockey, is really a secondary concern at this point.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Snowbirds in Florida were vaccinated if they wanted though.

Perhaps - There has been a long ongoing issue over how Canadian medical insurance covers snowbirds in the US but the rule of thumb has always been April 1st you need to come home.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Perhaps - There has been a long ongoing issue over how Canadian medical insurance covers snowbirds in the US but the rule of thumb has always been April 1st you need to come home.

I know from snowbirds that getting vaccinated was not an issue or expensive.

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
I suggest you follow him up. He updates info all the time like now has on situation in Vancouver + Alberta + Ontario

Soo um yeah. this is ugly and getting worse.

"
The 14@Canucks players with #COVID19 on NHL's COVID Protocol list—Travis Boyd, Thatcher Demko, Jayce Hawryluk, Bo Horvat, Tyler Motte, Tyler Myers and Brandon Sutter joining Alex Edler, Adam Gaudette, Travis Hamonic, Braden Holtby, Quinn Hughes, Zack MacEwen, Antoine Roussel."

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Just a note, Ontario's "lockdown" is being called a Mockdown by many. It's a lockdown in name only. Pretty much just in person restaurant, and gyms closed. Kids still in school, retail still open, at reduced capacity. Ontario also has a growing situation with variants of concern, and a doubling rate of every 1.6 weeks right now.

Who knows what will happen, but thoughts to all in the Canucks organization, in recovering quickly and fully.

Coming back to play hockey, is really a secondary concern at this point.
There is no such thing and never has been such a thing as a "lockdown" in Canada. Its always simply "you cant go to the movies/restaurants."

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Why are people leaving the country during a pandemic... even worse why aren’t people following the quarantine when you come back?... if you’re leaving the country don’t ruin it for everyone else by spreading this shit. Honestly, people not following the quarantine and bringing these variants into the country to run rapid and potentially killing people should be charged for this in the same way you would if you got in a car drunk and crashed into someone, you made a poor decision that others are paying the price for.

Some old lady in Ottawa went South despite the warnings not to. She got Covid that keeps recurring and keeping her in the hospital, and away from her family. The only way she can get back to Canada is from an expensive air ambulance. They started a GoFundMe and were getting tons of donations, it was so crazy. I felt bad for the family effect but it was a dumb decision she made.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
The league is not gonna cancel Vancouver's games when they're only 6 points out. With the games being all divisional, it's a lot easier to make up a significant number of points in a short period of time this season.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There is a definitive cut line emerging in the NHL North

upload_2021-4-4_2-59-42.png

It is hard to make an argument for the bottom 3 teams to make the playoffs.

The NHL knows the Cup has to be hoisted before the Olympics begin because of TV commitments and the desire to have a normal schedule next year.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The league is not gonna cancel Vancouver's games when they're only 6 points out. With the games being all divisional, it's a lot easier to make up a significant number of points in a short period of time this season.

6 points out BUT Montreal has 3 games in hand.

The regular season is not going past May 15th

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
6 points out BUT Montreal has 3 games in hand.

The regular season is not going past May 15th

Games in hand mean very little because there's still too much of the season left for games in hand to even come into play.

The league would still allow Vancouver the opportunity to make the playoffs. If anything they'd put the season on pause and allow Vancouver to fully recover. They wouldn't just cancel their games unless Vancouver requests it.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
There is a definitive cut line emerging in the NHL North

View attachment 417166

It is hard to make an argument for the bottom 3 teams to make the playoffs.

The NHL knows the Cup has to be hoisted before the Olympics begin because of TV commitments and the desire to have a normal schedule next year.

Calgary still has 5 games left with Montreal. Vancouver doesn't have any games left with Montreal, but because Calgary still has 5 games left with them Vancouver could potentially benefit off that. Based on what the league's comments have been, it's hard to imagine that they'd just allow a team's games to be cancelled.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Why are people leaving the country during a pandemic... even worse why aren’t people following the quarantine when you come back?.

cause they feel "fine". They also don't have a serous tracking method in the Western nations compared to the protocol Asian countries are using. It is also much more strict here, you can face automatic jail time, fines for breaking these rules.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Terrible situation.

Assuming that it can take up to 2 weeks for COVID to really take hold you have to look at the road trip Vancouver had 2 weeks ago to Ottawa and Montreal and things are spiking there now.

The Brazilian variant isn't an issue here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad