Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
This appears to be an extremely serious situation. The Brazilian variant of COVID-19 is spreading through the Canucks. The other day, Adam Gaudette's wife tweeted that the player "isn't in great shape".

According to reporters, its bad enough that medical staff have been sent to the players' homes to deliver IVs:

The Brazilian variant is thus far reported to affect 20-39 year olds much more severely than previous variants of COVID. All players for Canadian NHL teams are not vaccinated.

What are the implications for the Canucks and Canadian Division? There is just over a month left in the regular season- what would happen for the playoff race if the Canucks were to miss multiple weeks of games? Is there a possibility the Canucks season is over? Is there a workplace safety issue for the Canucks?

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
I wonder how long the Canucks can go on not playing before their season gets shortened. Obviously the player’s/staff’s health is number 1 priority, but it’s going to be very difficult to make up the games they’re about to miss with such a condensed schedule as it is.

If the Canucks miss another, say, 10 days (half their team has covid ffs) then they will have like 7ish games postponed. How will they be able to play out the rest of their schedule (12 games between April 12 and May 8 ) PLUS an additional 7 games?

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I wonder how long the Canucks can go on not playing before their season gets shortened. Obviously the player’s/staff’s health is number 1 priority, but it’s going to be very difficult to make up the games they’re about to miss with such a condensed schedule as it is.
I think, like everyone else, the NHL has been blindsided by the third wave of variants. Wave 2 in the fall-winter was easy enough to predict and we were more or less ready for it- thus the prior problems with teams like Dallas not being too much of an issue. I don't think they planned for outbreaks going into late April, or into May.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

If the Canucks miss another, say, 10 days (half their team has covid ffs) then they will have like 7ish games postponed. How will they be able to play out the rest of their schedule (12 games between April 12 and May 8 ) PLUS an additional 7 games?
It only gets hairy if they can't play against Edmonton on the 12th. Make up the Winnipeg games when Edmonton is doing their make ups against Montreal, cancel the Calgary games and play Edmonton on the 15th

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What is the protocol in Canada for this? Would now have to shut down for 14 days?

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
AHL team has been experiencing a large outbreak the past few weeks. Id be surprised if they could even ice a team for a while at this point.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I want the OP to verify where they get the source that it's P1 that is circulating in the Canucks locker room? I have not heard a single source suggesting that. But if it is, it would be very serious. Brazil's healthcare system is in complete paralysis because of this variant that is threefold as virulent and much more serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bh53

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Last edited by a moderator:

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
I recommed following Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding he has very thorough information of Covid around the globe.

As for the news thats really really bad. That sh*t can hit really effect long term even someone who is an top athlete. Rasmus Ristolainen was really vocal how it effected him long term. And you can see in NHL how some players seem to have trouble performing in the level they normally would be after having Covid.

I'm not really a fan of NHLs policy of not informing more thorougly of the Covid protocols and infection variants. I think if/when people realize how real and dangerous this is the better people could try to do their part of preventing the spread.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Damn, that is horrible.

The health of the players is paramount. Hockey is secondary. I really hope they all recover from this with good health.

If they need to cancel their season because of it, they should do it and let the team recover.

Good luck Canucks! And good health to the rest of Canada too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->