Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Point percentage isn't fair IMO, NJ had to fight through an unreasonable schedule. They have had nearly no practices. I'm sure NJ would have preferred point percentage with much more rest/practices.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
Hopefully long term issues don't persist for the players affected

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room
You got to accept that that Vancouver is done for the season.

They already reported that the 11th deadline to end the season can maybe be pushed by 3 or 4 days at most.

3 cases up to 8 the next day, and now 14.

Wait till sundays figures come out. Entire coaching staff, followed by entire taxi squad.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Exactly.

My 41 years old wife who has no pre-conditions has almost died just before the pandemic, after catching influenza. Her immune system overreacted, causing a sepsis. She spent 4 days in ICU. Imagine what covid variants can do now.

Really bad situation for the Canucks and their families.

I'm glad your wife is okay. Holy. That is really scary. 4 days in the ICU? You must have been losing it. Life is scary.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Finish any game that you can and then rank team by winning percentage at the end. I don't think the NHL had any other option. What happened to the Canucks can happen to any team now.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
You got to accept that that Vancouver is done for the season.

They already reported that the 11th deadline to end the season can maybe be pushed by 3 or 4 days at most.

3 cases up to 8 the next day, and now 14.

Wait till sundays figures come out.

Yep. Vancouver will not play another game for the rest of the season IMO. They literally cannot play another game until 14 days after every player and coaching staff member has had negative tests. That might take another 3 weeks. What's the point then? Plus BC and Ontario are going downhill fast and there's a 4 week lockdown in Ontario. You should not be allowed to play hockey games during a lockdown. That is special treatment. If another Canadian team tests positive then I could see Canada shutting down hockey for all 7 teams and the playoffs will be cancelled.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
NO chance they can finish their remaining games

Vancouver's farm team has played 9 games, while everyone in their division is well over 15 because their farm team got ravaged, and still haven't played since early march.

they dont have enough players in their organization PERIOD to finish.

I forget what the CBA says is the minimum players to be dressed

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Might be a separate thread but should the trade deadline be cancelled? Given the Vancouver situation with the new variant should players be switching cities at this point let alone crossing the border. Imagine the variant getting into more large States.

I wouldn’t cancel the trade deadline but if dealing with Canadian teams I’d 100% put the 14 day quarantine back into effect with multiple test

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Are NHL players vaccinated?

Apologies if I haven't been following closely enough, but does the reason that the entire NHL (players, coaches, staff) not vaccinated by now still boil down to optics? When vaccinating the league en masse was brought up many months ago, there was an argument that these younger people should not cut in line in front of more eligible folks. Now that tens of millions have been vaccinated in the U.S. and Canada, are there still valid reasons why anyone traveling with the team should not be vaccinated?

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Apologies if I haven't been following closely enough, but does the reason that the entire NHL (players, coaches, staff) not vaccinated by now still boil down to optics? When vaccinating the league en masse was brought up many months ago, there was an argument that these younger people should not cut in line in front of more eligible folks. Now that tens of millions have been vaccinated in the U.S. and Canada, are there still valid reasons why anyone traveling with the team should not be vaccinated?
Canada has a different vaccine situation than the US and more micromanagement of doses has been required to date. We don't have production capabilities and are leaning on international aid. Everyone in Canada is being vaccinated at a slower rate than in the US

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006

Most states are at the point that anyone is eligible for a vaccine. The hard part is scheduling the shots since you won’t want to give everyone a shot at once less there are bad side effects for multiple players.

A few baseball teams have vaccinated a majority of their team already.

Reactions: Tom Polakis

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
it looks like the P1 Brazilian variant that caused this. A BC friend said it might've started in Whistler. I don't wish this on anyone. sending love and recovery to Canucks players, coaches and fans. Habs were out for a week with only two players affected. I can't see canucks playing any meaningful game before the middle of the month? and at this point who cares? Recovery is primary concern

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

Unless the NHL buys and administers their own vaccines to the players on Canadian teams likely don't and won't have vaccines for some time.

Can't speak for other provinces however I dont imagine it is much different than BC cause we are following the guidance of a Federal group and the Feds buy and allocate the vaccines to the province...

BC will not be vaccinating the likes of NHL players for months yet... they are focusing on citizens that are at highest risk first

Reactions: Tom Polakis

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Pffffftttt
The NHL can't seriously be that Frigan Naive

"The NHL will probably have to use most of the buffer days (may 11-14)"
-
"The NHL is still confident all 56 games will be scheduled"

They can't believe those 4 days are going to be enough. They needs like 2 extra weeks at least.

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Unless the NHL buys and administers their own vaccines to the players on Canadian teams likely don't and won't have vaccines for some time.

Can't speak for other provinces however I dont imagine it is much different than BC cause we are following the guidance of a Federal group and the Feds buy and allocate the vaccines to the province...

BC will not be vaccinating the likes of NHL players for months yet... they are focusing on citizens that are at highest risk first

Thanks. That was the seemingly legitimate reason for not vaccinating the entire league when this was first brought up. However, just considering the numbers, it has always seemed like an absurd argument. There can't be more than several thousand traveling players in the NHL (U.S. and Canada), which creates only the smallest dent in the ability to supply and administer the vaccine.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
@Tom Polakis

ya but NHL is not essential, not close to essential and Canada does not have Vaccine production here in Canada, our federal government chased them out many years ago with taxes...

as such Canada is shit out a luck and must rely on be supplied from other countries...

front line health care staff in high risk areas, elderly and indigenous population first

then essential workers like grocery store staff, EMS, fire, Police etc...

then working on the population from oldest to youngest...

NHL players have a long wait ahead of them...

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
This is really scary. I just hope that not only do all these players make it through the illness, but that they also don't have long term damage to their organs.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Just cancel the rest of their games and kick them out of the league and send Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Demko to Seattle. Everybody wins!

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Well that's not good. Something must have really gone wrong with the protocols for 18 cases to pop up.

As a Flames fan I'm ok with shutting this season down. Try again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->