Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
After the Sabres outbreak they went on to lose 18 straight games. Best of luck to the Canucks in this fake season.
No man Damien Cox feels that we have an unfair advantage getting all this rest prior to the stretch run. And it doesn't matter that we had THE most condensed schedule to start the year primarily on the road locked down in hotel rooms in freezing cold cities either.

I'm sure after 2weeks every player will without practice, training and being 100% recovered will come out flying.

See ya in the playoffs.

On a serious note. I fully expect something close to what you said and i'm ready for this crap season for this team to wind down and start building for a somewhat normal one. The timing sure sucked as we had multiple vets who would have possibly netted us some picks.

I feel our franchise is cursed sometimes.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I have yet to see someone offer a practical way to make that happen. The Habs have already played their games against the 'Nucks and went 6-3. You gonna take those points away when they're in 4th? Edmonton and Calgary still have 5 games left against them. You gonna award them or deny them those points when Calgary is in 5th chasing Montreal?

And let's say you erase all of Vancouver's games from this season's schedule and either deduct or auto-award points to the remaining 6 teams, how do you seed the 2 teams that come out of the North against the rest of the league in the 3rd round?

It's impossible to address all of these problems. They have no choice but to finish Vancouver's season somehow or cancel the entire league. Or just have a complete circus I guess because that's what it would be if their season was canceled.

Points. Percentage.

The games with Ottawa and Calgary literally don't matter anyway.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Points. Percentage.

Calgary is 6 points out of a playoff spot with 15 games left including 6 against the team they're chasing. And as mentioned, they have 5 remaining against Vancouver who will likely be a diminished version of an already weak team and now have a daunting schedule to finish out the season.

I'm guessing those games matter to Calgary.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Calgary is 6 points out of a playoff spot with 15 games left including 6 against the team they're chasing. And as mentioned, they have 5 remaining against Vancouver who will likely be a diminished version of an already weak team and now have a daunting schedule to finish out the season.

I'm guessing those games matter to Calgary.

And some teams got shafted by points percentage from last year's COVID stoppage. Maybe they were thinking they could make some ground. Buffalo could've made the play-ins if they had another game. Maybe if their schedule was balanced differently and played different teams, the standings would be different.

That's just brass tacks for everyone. Should've won more games.

The Canucks season should be over. Another player just tested positive. And I'm saying this from the perspective of a Canucks fan, where the Canucks would probably benefit from playing out the season, getting creamed, and getting a higher draft pick.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Canucks will be lucky to win 5 games down this stretch, this is just a brutal schedule and so many sick players, just awful situation.
NHL really should be ashamed, this is completely messed up.
Not just the physical toll, but the Mental toll with families going through it also, How can they even play?
This is bigger than paychecks, playing what 17 games in 24 nights? like come on

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Points. Percentage.

assuming Vancouver would have a winning record against those 2 teams even with just points percentage being the “bar” would that not increase Vancouver’s point percentage?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
assuming Vancouver would have a winning record against those 2 teams even with just points percentage being the “bar” would that not increase Vancouver’s point percentage?

I don't think the team whose entire roster is coming off positive COVID tests, no practice, and facing a ludicrous schedule should be assumed to have a winning record.

Points % isn't fair. But last season wasn't fair to the teams who were making ground. Vancouver's season should be done.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I don't think the team whose entire roster is coming off positive COVID tests, no practice, and facing a ludicrous schedule should be assumed to have a winning record.

Points % isn't fair. But last season wasn't fair to the teams who were making ground. Vancouver's season should be done.

but then what do you do with all the lost points for other teams that still have to play them who are still in the playoff hunt mathematically speaking?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
How many players do you think they’ll have back? Can they make emergency recalls to fill the roster?

This situation is insane.

I’m not sure what else they can do besides pausing the schedule for everyone for a week to let them regain strength, oxygen levels etc.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How many players do you think they’ll have back? Can they make emergency recalls to fill the roster?

This situation is insane.

I’m not sure what else they can do besides pausing the schedule for everyone for a week to let them regain strength, oxygen levels etc.
It's not insane, its downright f***ing lunacy.
There are people in the NBA and MLB who got covid and are still feeling the effects of this nearly half a year later, It's ridiculous.

Forcing basically the entire Canucks team to come back and play 19 games in 30 days is ridiculous.
I would not be shocked if a Lawsuit comes from all this after

Not to mention, all the physical toll, but how about the mental? Lots of players have family members with Covid, the last thing they wanna do is play games after all this, for this pretend run for the playoffs.

It's f***ed

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
After the Sabres outbreak they went on to lose 18 straight games. Best of luck to the Canucks in this fake season.
I am expecting 0-2 wins over the final 19 games. The team was sick, top to bottom, will be deconditioned, starts with 3 games in 4 nights, then continues through a super condensed schedule.

Deconditioned players forced into a meat grinder will mean injuries, which will again impact how well the players can play.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
It's not insane, its downright f***ing lunacy.
There are people in the NBA and MLB who got covid and are still feeling the effects of this nearly half a year later, It's ridiculous.

Forcing basically the entire Canucks team to come back and play 19 games in 30 days is ridiculous.
I would not be shocked if a Lawsuit comes from all this after

Not to mention, all the physical toll, but how about the mental? Lots of players have family members with Covid, the last thing they wanna do is play games after all this, for this pretend run for the playoffs.

It's f***ed

You ain't wrong. Not sure what they're thinking.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Maybe they like playing hockey and don’t really mind? It’s only a few games and then another big layoff. There was already a huge layoff before this season started and I doubt they forget that. They are probably happy just to get games in (and get paid large amounts of money to do so).
I bet they come back loose and won’t be over coached. Probably finish pretty strongly.

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If you don't wanna play.
Don't play.
The way ppl are acting like we are sending guys into some "meat grinder" and basically insinuating that everyone is being forced.

Just like any job. You scared, stay home...you sick, stay home. You don't wanna play, stay home.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
If you don't wanna play.
Don't play.
The way ppl are acting like we are sending guys into some "meat grinder" and basically insinuating that everyone is being forced.

Just like any job. You scared, stay home...you sick, stay home. You don't wanna play, stay home.

Actually not a bad point. I assume players can still opt out like Rask did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad