Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
They should be vaccinated because they travel across provinces constantly and can't wear a mask while they work.

The criteria should be what kind of disease vector they could be, not the tired ass "well they make lots of money so they shouldn't be ahead of others".

Grocery store clerk is not travelling to 3 provinces in a week.
If the view is that the risk is too high without them being vaccinated they should not be allowed to play then, not jump the queue ahead of truly essential workers.

I don’t even begin to understand how you see hockey players as essential workers, I really don’t. It’s not about how much money they do or don’t make. The priority for every country is to ensure the countries infrastructure and services are maintained and continue to deliver priority services. Hockey isn’t a service or part of the infrastructure , it’s entertainment so no they shouldn’t be ahead of anyone in the queue.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The moron in charge kinda did that already. For like 7 years now.

Jimmy ya blew it buddy.

giphy.gif

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’m talking about player overall health and safety. Playing hockey itself is many times more dangerous for players than Covid.
But playing hockey doesn’t create the risk that friends, family and random individuals can catch a hockey related injury. It’s not just about the risk to the individual, it’s about the risk of further spreading the virus and the lives that will cost.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The players were forced to go back to work. How is that different than any essential worker?
No they were not. The return to play clearly states that if a player chooses not to play they can do so without being deemed to have broken their contract.

“Any Player may choose not to participate in the 2020-21 Season without discipline or penalty, in which event he shall notify his Club in writing....”

Sure, if they aren’t playing they aren’t getting paid but they categorically have not been forced back to work.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No they were not. The return to play clearly states that if a player chooses not to play they can do so without being deemed to have broken their contract.

“Any Player may choose not to participate in the 2020-21 Season without discipline or penalty, in which event he shall notify his Club in writing....”

Sure, if they aren’t playing they aren’t getting paid but they categorically have not been forced back to work.
And how much success do hockey players who take 1.5 years off have? No games, practices or training. What kind of hockey shape are they in after that break?

Most players in the nhl are either bottom six guys or fringe guys that can be replaced. What about these guys' careers? What about guys who's contacts expired in 2020 or 2021?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the view is that the risk is too high without them being vaccinated they should not be allowed to play then, not jump the queue ahead of truly essential workers.

I don’t even begin to understand how you see hockey players as essential workers, I really don’t. It’s not about how much money they do or don’t make. The priority for every country is to ensure the countries infrastructure and services are maintained and continue to deliver priority services. Hockey isn’t a service or part of the infrastructure , it’s entertainment so no they shouldn’t be ahead of anyone in the queue.

Mental health of the population is a real concern.

You can't lock people inside and keeping ringing the "lockdown!!!!!!" bell every few weeks and think people are going to be content with shitty Netflix movies forever.

These players are offering a public service to millions of Canadians in this pandemic whether you want to admit it or not.

They are also keeping hundreds/thousands of people in the sports media/TV arena employed.

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
But playing hockey doesn’t create the risk that friends, family and random individuals can catch a hockey related injury. It’s not just about the risk to the individual, it’s about the risk of further spreading the virus and the lives that will cost.
Sure. But that's a different argument. My post was in response to the claim that players specifically are in danger from covid.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
And how much success do hockey players who take 1.5 years off have? No games, practices or training. What kind of hockey shape are they in after that break?

Most players in the nhl are either bottom six guys or fringe guys that can be replaced. What about these guys' careers? What about guys who's contacts expired in 2020 or 2021?
If they just canceled the season for 2 years most of those players would be in the precise same situation when hockey restarted. Many "fringe" nhlers would be replaced by 2 years of younger players coming in. Except those fringe nhlers would have a few less million dollars in the bank.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If they just canceled the season for 2 years most of those players would be in the precise same situation when hockey restarted. Many "fringe" nhlers would be replaced by 2 years of younger players coming in. Except those fringe nhlers would have a few less million dollars in the bank.

So you see how it's not really a choice for many players to just opt out?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
That's simply a horrifying read.
The experts are very divided so far on the new variants. Many say there isn't any real evidence yet that they are more contagious or virulent. Those Canucks with bad side effects could just be a bad case of covid.

Check out this highly respected virology professor who did an ama on reddit the other day. (Note: this is not one of those quack "experts".)

THis question was asked: "
  1. You have 20 minutes alone with the top few CDC or FDA people. What do you tell them?
The response: "Please stop saying the variants are more contagious/virulent."

He talks about it many times during the ama.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I refused the vaccine. I think my Mom doesn't want to see me until I am jabbed. It's not easy living with Covid. Not even if you are a Canuck.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
There are no words for you, well there are but I just got back from a 7 month ban.
Please indulge me. Just be careful to make sure every word is one that won’t put you back on site vacation. I want to hear a fresh take on how the moron in charge hasn’t prevented winning in Vancouver. Jim Benning is winning repellant personified.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
Should have just cancel the season for Canucks... so many games now till end of season,, back to back every week and u expect the players will be healthy to play at a high level..

Reactions: crazychimp

SiZ

Jun 24, 2020
The updated schedule is brutal for Vancouver. Also taking into account many players being bed-ridden recently, and the possibility of lingering fatigue from the virus for the players, it just seems like a needless risk. The Canucks aren't going to make the playoffs. Why not just call their season and focus on player health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad