Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Health authorities. Medical people. People who study how best to deliver the vaccines to best serve public health. That's who.

Not someone who want the vaccine to serve their personal entertainment.

Yeah so I bet if they were asked given that it is very low number of vaccines, that vaccinating hockey players would not be a bad idea given that they could become a transmission vector that could rapidly bring the virus to different cities.

But the politics of it look ugly because "Joe Average" sitting at home will get their panties in a knot because "sports millionaires are jooooomping the linez!!!!".

Reactions: Dempsey

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
The amount of money they make has never been in any of my posts, but nice attempt to deflect.

They knew the situation when they agreed to play. If them being a disease vector was that bad that it was a public health concern, then they never should have been granted approval. In fact, that was part of the NHL's story to get approval is that they weren't a danger to public health.

The situation was clear when they agreed to start that they weren't going to get vaccinated. This was known before the season started. They agreed to start the season anyway. It's not a blame thing, but they don't get to jump ahead of the line because it didn't work out.

What you stated seems to be true and the NHL may have gambled and lost. I'm not sure the vaccine is even a fix but just the same the NHL players can have my vaccine dose. I don't want it and I don't need it.

Ya I know, that's not how it works. And it ain't working right now anyways.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Again, they didnt have the variant. P1 is 2.6 times more transmissable than Covid and 56% more deadly.

Don’t waste your time. I already informed blankall about P.1 a couple of weeks ago. His response at the time was to dismiss it as happening in some remote place. People like that fail to understand that if it happens somewhere, anywhere. Then it’ll inevitably arise elsewhere. That’s the nature of this virus and it’s emerging variants. Now it’s in BC and Alberta. He can deny statistics all he wants. But the reality on the ground is ugly. That young pro hockey players, Canucks, are seriously ill with this variant should already tell him something that being young is no magic shield to P.1. Hopefully they fully recover quickly.

Reactions: RussianRacket

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
Some people are more susceptible to fear-mongering than others.

The Canucks will all be fine and back on the ice in no time.

Fear-mongering is the general term used by those who ignore basic science and don't understand how exponential growth works...it is how efficient the virus is spreading that makes it so deadly.

Canucks may very well be fine but they have families with wives and kids that are also at risk, something to consider perhaps.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Fear-mongering is the general term used by those who ignore basic science and don't understand how exponential growth works...it is how efficient the virus is spreading that makes it so deadly.

Canucks may very well be fine but they have families with wives and kids that are also at risk, something to consider perhaps.
No. There are two very very real problems.

One is covid denial/minimalism. Those who either try to say it doesn't exist at all or has been greatly exaggerated. But there's also the problem on the other end. The fear-mongering. Those that exaggerate everything about covid and think it's a much bigger deal than it really is.

Any thread like these are filled with both groups.

Athletes have been getting covid for many months. The vast majority are perfectly fine. Since forever, many athletes get diarrhea, vomit, have high fevers, go on iv's. It's not uncommon in life. They recover. They're fine. Enough of the fear-mongering.

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Yeah so I bet if they were asked given that it is very low number of vaccines, that vaccinating hockey players would not be a bad idea given that they could become a transmission vector that could rapidly bring the virus to different cities.

But the politics of it look ugly because "Joe Average" sitting at home will get their panties in a knot because "sports millionaires are jooooomping the linez!!!!".
Nah.

Theyd probably say if the NHL was following the protocol (risk management plan) it outlined, with all the $$$ and resources is has at its disposal the risk of an NHL team causing the virus to spread "across the country" is quite slim.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

Defining "fine" is never really done and often an exercise in moving goalposts.

Even at its "finest" how many games of all the games per season are "lost" to entire team coming down with some sort of illness?

Its not unheard of to hear about a team having the flu run through it but its also not really common. Maybe one or two teams a season for a game?

So yeah in a regular non-covid year and entire team being put out of action for a week or more would be considered pretty serious.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
jesus, i wonder if/how some of the players will be affected. noway they all come back from this close to 100%
Well we already know a couple of things.

First and foremost is that it isnt uncommon for people who are sick with Covid to either a) relapse after "improving" and moreso b) "feel better" but not really feel better for an extended period of time.

That even recovering from something like a mild case of the flu or a slightly nasty cold can take more than a few days to "recover" from.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
No. There are two very very real problems.

One is covid denial/minimalism. Those who either try to say it doesn't exist at all or has been greatly exaggerated. But there's also the problem on the other end. The fear-mongering. Those that exaggerate everything about covid and think it's a much bigger deal than it really is.

Any thread like these are filled with both groups.

Athletes have been getting covid for many months. The vast majority are perfectly fine. Since forever, many athletes get diarrhea, vomit, have high fevers, go on iv's. It's not uncommon in life. They recover. They're fine. Enough of the fear-mongering.

You’re really underinformed about the threat posed by this novel coronavirus and in particular its emerging variants. It’s problematic because you’re dangerously underestimating them. They essentially must be evaluated as a separate virus. How transmissible? How lethal? Does it cause reinfections? Are vaccines effective against it? Does it change viral behavior such as faster onset to serious illness or impacting a different demographic? Until you know the answers, you continue to take effective precautions and preventative steps. Continue wearing face masks and socially distancing even after you’re vaccinated.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
If the Canucks start playing games next week they will probably finish their schedule. As of today they still have played 2 more games than Montreal. If they do not play next week they might as well fold up the season. Honestly, the top 4 teams in the North are already locked in. Canucks in 5th are 8 points back and have played 2 less games than Montreal. Playing 5 games a week and having to gain basically 10+ points in the last 19 games is not happening even if they were all healthy.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If the Canucks start playing games next week they will probably finish their schedule. As of today they still have played 2 more games than Montreal. If they do not play next week they might as well fold up the season. Honestly, the top 4 teams in the North are already locked in. Canucks in 5th are 8 points back and have played 2 less games than Montreal. Playing 5 games a week and having to gain basically 10+ points in the last 19 games is not happening even if they were all healthy.

another thing to consider is that since its confirmed what the canucks have is P1, how long does the strain shed rna after recovery? its different with each strain, its speculated that one of the factors why it exploded in Sao Paulo is that the virulent period extends longer with this variant. Do the NHL want the another team to faceoff against them? traces of the virus are in the feces up to 14 days after recovery, will the canucks be fit to play after a week? I highly doubt it from league or public health perspective..

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Defining "fine" is never really done and often an exercise in moving goalposts.

Even at its "finest" how many games of all the games per season are "lost" to entire team coming down with some sort of illness?

Its not unheard of to hear about a team having the flu run through it but its also not really common. Maybe one or two teams a season for a game?

So yeah in a regular non-covid year and entire team being put out of action for a week or more would be considered pretty serious.

Sucks had a Mumps run and a flu outbreak that impacted us. But I don’t think many were worried about potential harm to families or long term risks
The unknown is just a lousy deal. Hope everyone (Players,staff,families)bounces back With no consequences

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Really hope all these guys and their families recover ok. Health concerns definitely trump hockey concerns.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Really hope all these guys and their families recover ok. Health concerns definitely trump hockey concerns.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
For reference

I’m guessing Dreger

I asked the validity of the P1 connection on page 1 of this thread.

this was the response from a poster.

COVID-19: 14 Canucks now on NHL protocol list, some connected with Brazilian P.1 variant | The Province

theprovince usually fact checks and has good connections with the canucks org.

But Henry refuting it is concerning. Whether its P1 or the UK variant makes a big difference. one has shown resistance to vaccines one has not.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
the owner is tweeting about P.1

Pretty weird timing given Dr Henry just said an hour before she knows of no known variant cases on the Nucks

Is it really too much to ask for some communication and clarification between the health authorities and the biggest sports org in the province?

SiZ

Jun 24, 2020
I wonder how they're going to handle the draft lottery if the Canucks aren't able to play the rest of the season. I assume the fairest way to do it is just by win percentage.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Pretty weird timing given Dr Henry just said an hour before she knows of no known variant cases on the Nucks

Is it really too much to ask for some communication and clarification between the health authorities and the biggest sports org in the province?
looking at it objectively, she's in charge of public health for the whole province. if we ask her how many cases of variants are in our fisheries dept, do you expect her to answer on top of her head? I get this forum, but biggest sports org....is actually not that significant to the general population no matter how significant it is to us hahaha.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
looking at it objectively, she's in charge of public health for the whole province. if we ask her how many cases of variants are in our fisheries dept, do you expect her to answer on top of her head? I get this forum, but biggest sports org....is actually not that significant to the general population no matter how significant it is to us hahaha.

There’s a pretty big difference between the public interest in the fisheries dept and the Vancouver Canucks. Obviously Dr Henry has an overloaded plate, but surely someone in her office in the past week could have reached out to the organization. I’m not even sure that she is the one who is communicating incorrect information at this point, maybe aquilini has his head up his ass. At the very least, this was an opportunity to share with the public the seriousness of the situation in a very high profile set of cases. For them not to have communicated at all is pretty mind boggling.

And I’m no Dr Henry hater, I’ve fully supported her from the beginning.

Reactions: SamInVan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad