Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Pretty weird timing given Dr Henry just said an hour before she knows of no known variant cases on the Nucks

Is it really too much to ask for some communication and clarification between the health authorities and the biggest sports org in the province?
To be fair this would be all on the Canucks.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pretty weird timing given Dr Henry just said an hour before she knows of no known variant cases on the Nucks

Is it really too much to ask for some communication and clarification between the health authorities and the biggest sports org in the province?

She said she's "not aware", not that she knows for certain there were no variant cases. That part of the phrase is doing a lot of work.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
No P1 variants on the Canucks team according the Dr. Bonnie Henry
Who leaked the bogus info?

Bonnie was uninformed. The team announced it is variants, which explained why it ripped thru the team and 19 of 22 players now have it and 25 overall with coaches and taxi squad.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I wonder how they're going to handle the draft lottery if the Canucks aren't able to play the rest of the season. I assume the fairest way to do it is just by win percentage.

They'll have a first lottery for all the teams who played the whole season, and then another one for teams who didn't. Then subsequent lotteries after each round of elimination in the playoffs.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
They'll have a first lottery for all the teams who played the whole season, and then another one for teams who didn't. Then subsequent lotteries after each round of elimination in the playoffs.

That seems unlikely, also the NHL has said they expect Vancouver to finish the season.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
They might as well cancel the season for Vancouver. By the time the players are ready, we will be down to single digit games left.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Brazil I believe. P.1
thats the problem right there. apparently, they haven't identified the exact variant in our CDC yet. So Henry is technically correct that she is unaware of P1. But she is most likely able to judge from empirical evidence and priori reasoning that its most likely P1. The spread, reinfection cases, speed and strong symptoms on young persons on the Canucks ice all checks out..... its all semantics, just like when she said masks are not shown to stop spread early in the pandemic, and then later revealed they know it slows spread by a lot but want to save inventory to front line workers.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I wonder what is Roussel's take on this?
antoine-roussel.jpg

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Gee, seems to be no talk whatsoever about the Canucks' situation in America...at least on the two Boston sports talk radio stations. Probably the national sports shows also. And likely not on tv shows like Good Morning America, The Today Show or NBC Nightly News.

To Americans, heck, it's hockey, so it doesn't matter? Heck, it's Canada, so doesn't matter? Way out on the west coast from NYC media, so outta sight, outta mind? What it and where is a Vancouver or a Vancouver Canuck, anywsy? Yes, much more sports yo talk about in America, but still...

Shows how irrelevant Canada and hockey is to Americans, even in a hockey city like Boston.

It it were the anonymous Sacramento Kings, Memphis Grizzlies, Miami Marlins, Kansas City Royals, etc., it'd be covered much more in America, of course.

But it's a sports health crisis in North America and seemingly should garner some attention in America, no?

The little hockey talk we get on Boston sports radio (still much more than probably any or most american NHL cities) never seem to mention it. Likely the media has never heard about it?

Reactions: Kleefeld

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Gee, seems to be no talk whatsoever about the Canucks' situation in America...at least on the two Boston sports talk radio stations. Probably the national sports shows also. And likely not on tv shows like Good Morning America, The Today Show or NBC Nightly News.

To Americans, heck, it's hockey, so it doesn't matter? Heck, it's Canada, so doesn't matter? Way out on the west coast from NYC media, so outta sight, outta mind? What it and where is a Vancouver or a Vancouver Canuck, anywsy? Yes, much more sports yo talk about in America, but still...

Shows how irrelevant Canada and hockey is to Americans, even in a hockey city like Boston.

It it were the anonymous Sacramento Kings, Memphis Grizzlies, Miami Marlins, Kansas City Royals, etc., it'd be covered much more in America, of course.

But it's a sports health crisis in North America and seemingly should garner some attention in America, no?

The little hockey talk we get on Boston sports radio (still much more than probably any or most american NHL cities) never seem to mention it. Likely the media has never heard about it?
Mass apparently has the most cases of the P1 variant in the US apparently.

If true my personal desire if I was from Boston would be that that information was on blast 24/7.

As much as the outbreak in BC is important you can pretty much guarantee if its there its quickly making its way around the globe.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

You can be sure that I have posted about it multiple times on the Washington Post articles’ forums. The situation in B.C. and Alberta looks frightening to me but then I don’t really have a good idea just how affected the communities are relative to the overall population and density in those provinces which are quite large.

My sense is that Americans think they are invulnerable once they have been vaccinated. I disagree with that outlook because wherever Covid-19 occurs then it’s still humanity’s problem.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There’s a pretty big difference between the public interest in the fisheries dept and the Vancouver Canucks. Obviously Dr Henry has an overloaded plate, but surely someone in her office in the past week could have reached out to the organization. I’m not even sure that she is the one who is communicating incorrect information at this point, maybe aquilini has his head up his ass. At the very least, this was an opportunity to share with the public the seriousness of the situation in a very high profile set of cases. For them not to have communicated at all is pretty mind boggling.

And I’m no Dr Henry hater, I’ve fully supported her from the beginning.
Dr. Henry deals in facts. So, at the time of her presser, it was not confirmed via tests results that it was the variant.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
No new positive cases for Vancouver Canucks Wednesday night - TSN.ca

"An ongoing investigation by Vancouver Coastal Health and club contact tracing staff attributes the source infection to a single individual obtained in a community setting, which has since been identified by public health as a public exposure location. Rapid spread of infection throughout the team indicates a link between contacts and the primary case," read the statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad