Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick - Part II

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
When your competition on day 1 includes people like Merrill, Engelland, McNabb and Sbisa, I suppose it’s not hard to become a team’s #1 D-man on an expansion team after you were just left unprotected in the expansion draft.

Not to take anything away from Schmidt as he is a fine player but some of you are really exaggerating this trade. Yes, Vancouver won the trade and did very well but it is hardly the deal of the century.

If Schmidt was a UFA this year, he is not signing a contract with that AAV and term.

5 years at under 30 million? He absolutely would be signing that type of contract. He's going to be 33 years old when his contract is up. You can downplay it as much as you want but they got a top pairing defenceman out of this trade. His analytics and his on ice play prove it.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Coming from the guy with nothing but ad hominem attacks, this means absolutely nothing. Look in the mirror, bud.
D968FCD4-07D2-43C7-88CD-76BBF6821A13.gif

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I've read people hating this trade because the salary of Toffoli/Stecher would be equivalent to the salary of Schmidt. Personally, I'd rather have Schmidt over Toffoli, and Stecher, while useful, is a replaceable asset, though loved for being a local boy.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
When your competition on day 1 includes people like Merrill, Engelland, McNabb and Sbisa, I suppose it’s not hard to become a team’s #1 D-man on an expansion team after you were just left unprotected in the expansion draft.

Not to take anything away from Schmidt as he is a fine player but some of you are really exaggerating this trade. Yes, Vancouver won the trade and did very well but it is hardly the deal of the century.

If Schmidt was a UFA this year, he is not signing a contract with that AAV and term.

I don't think anyone is exaggerating. All the analysis and some metrics are showing Schmidt is a top pairing d-man. It's insane to get that position for a 3rd rd pick. Reliable top.pairing d-men are rare commodities.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Free agency in VanCity was looking like a huge flop until Benning magically pulled a rabbit out of his ass just before he got booed offstage.Guy should have is own show in Vegas...

Reactions: Grantham

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
How much better is Vegas with AP instead of Schmidt ? I realize AP is the goods but Schmidt was supposedly pretty good too. as an east coast guy I don’t see these players . Anyone that knows them both I’ll say thanks in advance for your comments
Petro is definitely the better player, top ~7d in the league

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

He probably would yes.

Youre right that people sre overrating him though. Hes a very good #3D, not a #1 that some are saying.

With that said, this is still a slam dunk win for Vancouver

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Yikes. Thinking this trade is incredible and thinking that the difference between Tanev and Schmidt isn't that big isn't mutually exclusive FFS.

To spell it out:

Yes. Great trade. Home run. Way to go Jim; not even remotely sarcastic.

Tanev is better at straight defense than Schmidt. The different between them in overall talent isn't as big as people are saying.

Attributing Tanev's success to Hughes is revisionist and completely illogical considering Tanev has been playing successfully without Hughes for years. Not to mention one could just as well attribute Hughes' success to Tanev. How you're citing their chemistry as a knock on Tanev doesn't make any sense either.

EDIT: I dunno man. I suggest more people read the Vegas forum.

Tanev has lost a lot of his legs. He cannot break the puck out like he used to. Hence, without Hughes (e.g. look at previous years or when he is paired with others) he gets hemmed into his zone.

He's good at 'in-zone' defense. He blocks shots well, and his hockey sense is good to so he knows which player will receive the puck in a dangerous position before they do. He gets there, and he neutralizes it.
However, that's only so useful when he gets stuck in his zone and the other team gets to continue their cycle.

I believe that he also isn't superior in defending against the rush like he used to be.

In an ideal world, Tanev is a #4 with the right partner. A good team could make him their #3 with the right partner as well.

Schmidt is not as good at in-zone D, but is better at literally everything else. He's a one man break out, he's really tough to beat on the rush. He's a #2. If he's on a 2nd pair, he doesn't need the right partner, he is the right partner. He can turn a 5 into a 4, just by virtue of being paired with him.

At this point in their respective careers, he is considerably superior to Tanev. And I love Tanev.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

They went to the Cup finals That year.

And, he would be signed to something similar. I mean, you can argue that he may choose something short term (in order to wait out the cap during the covid era), but you can't argue that if he wants a long term deal he is getting less than 5x5, bare minimum.

Under non-covid circumstances, no way he signs for less than 6.5.

This is an incredible deal.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
They went to the Cup finals That year.

And, he would be signed to something similar. I mean, you can argue that he may choose something short term (in order to wait out the cap during the covid era), but you can't argue that if he wants a long term deal he is getting less than 5x5, bare minimum.

Under non-covid circumstances, no way he signs for less than 6.5.

This is an incredible deal.

Whether or not they went to the Cup that year does not negate the fact that they are an expansion team that has never drafted higher than #6 overall.

I agree that it is an incredible deal.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Free agency in VanCity was looking like a huge flop until Benning magically pulled a rabbit out of his ass just before he got booed offstage.Guy should have is own show in Vegas...

I dont really agree with free agency being a huge flop even before Schmidt.

They made a team decision, and the right one, not to offer Markstrom and Tanev long term massive contracts.
They are just too old for the core and when its cup window will open.

They refused to up the offer for OEL and give Arizona any value whatsover for OEL.

That leaves Tofolli and Stecher.

Friedman said Benning had been working on the Schmidt trade all weekend long and he thinks that deal was done by Saturday which fits the timeline on why he let Tofolli and Stecher walk.

I think with what was going on behind the scenes which of course the public isnt previ to it made it seem like Benning wasnt getting anyone signed when in reality he had Schmidt in his back pocket.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
This has been a depressing trade for Benning haters. Don't you agree?

Benning haters are still Canucks fans.

This trade was fantastic, and made the Canucks better.

Why would it be depressing?

We’re not “Benning haters” for the hell of it. He’s made a ton of terrible moves. That’s depressing.

He made a great trade. I commend him for it.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
This trade is a gift. VGK had to move cap to get AP.

I don’t think this significantly changes my view of Benning.

Reactions: Oryxo

lawrence

May 19, 2012
salary of Toffoli/Stecher would be equivalent to the salary of Schmidt.

well 3.5 million to 4th liner Ferland 3 million to Rouselle and 3 million to Beagle. all 4th line players.

blame benning for these reckless signings.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
Benning haters are still Canucks fans.

This trade was fantastic, and made the Canucks better.

Why would it be depressing?

We’re not “Benning haters” for the hell of it. He’s made a ton of terrible moves. That’s depressing.

He made a great trade. I commend him for it.
Maybe you'e not aware some "Canucks" fans were wishing we lose badly in the playoffs and have Jimbo fired. I meant those "fans".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad