Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick - Part II

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
The mental gymnastics that people are doing to downplay this trade, this is a once in a decade trade. Last time Canucks fleeced a trade like this was in 2009 when they traded a 5th round draft pick for Christian Ehrhoff.

Canucks wanted to rebuild their defence, this is a monumental step towards that. Vegas was one of the most impressive teams during the playoffs in which they made the Canucks look like they're playing a 60 minute penalty kill. Nate Schmidt's breakout passes were tearing them down.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm talking about trade value from the perspective of the Knights. I'm not talking about what Schmidt does for Vancouver on the ice.
His value is directly tied to it, the only explanation as to why they got so little for him is his no trade clause and the amount of teams that had the capacity to trade for him.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Is Nate Schmidt really worth almost $6 million? $1.45 million more then Tanev?

Holtby 4.8
Schmidt 5.95

Markstrom 6
Tanev 4.5

Markstrom/Tanev were cheaper..? And they likely could have re-signed Markstrom for $5.5

Obviously Holtby 2 year term, and then full Demko ..but still not sure this looks that great

Tanev is a solid d-man who plays a lot on the PK but has very limited offensive game.

Schmidt is a well rounded two-way guy with speed.

I'd say all these salaries are pretty well warranted, if anything Holtby might be the one slightly overpaid here just based on recent play.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Goaltending we take a step back in the short term to take a step forward in the near future. There will be a point in time when Demko is better than Markstrom, whether it be 1, 3 or 5 years down the road.

Personally, I feel that at this stage Schmidt and Joulevi/Rathbone will be every bit as good as Tanev and Stecher. We know that our D didn't work with CT and TS in the lineup, so even if it is a wash (or slight upgrade /downgrade because I know everyone will argue that point), it is a much needed different look. We are getting more mobile on the back end and better offensively. I do still think we add another D to play on our bottom pair, if that's the case, we will be improved on D.

I think that Toffoli was offered a short term deal, MTL stepped up and gave 4 years. We have Boeser, EP, Horvat, Miller in our top 6 currently and for the forseeable future, and Hoglander/Podkolzin will be pushing for spots in the next year or two. I get not wanting to lock Toffoli in for 4 years, although I probably would have done it, he was a good fit. If we can get a cheap stop gap guy like Athanasiou, Duclair, Kahun, Granlund, Maybe even Kovalchuk who may feel the squeeze of the league running out of cap space, this could turn into a good move short and long term.

We will have a different look for sure, will certainly be working some youth into the lineup, which I am a fan of.
good post brother

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Great deal for Vancouver.

Takes Benning from an absolute irreparable failure of an off season to having a foundation that allows him to have a salvageable OK off season.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Is Nate Schmidt really worth almost $6 million? $1.45 million more then Tanev?

Holtby 4.8
Schmidt 5.95

Markstrom 6
Tanev 4.5

Markstrom/Tanev were cheaper..? And they likely could have re-signed Markstrom for $5.5

Obviously Holtby 2 year term, and then full Demko ..but still not sure this looks that great
It was reported Canucks offered 5 x 5.5m to Markstrom. Holtby is 2 years 8.6m which is quite different than 6 x 6 Markstrom got.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
His value is directly tied to it, the only explanation as to why they got so little for him is his no trade clause and the amount of teams that had the capacity to trade for him.

Exactly. And that Vegas was up against the cap.

In a hard cap league, value has little to do with what a player can do for you. It's mostly about the contract, and Schmidt's contract, in this context, had no value for Vegas. Period. He may lead the Canucks to the Cup, but that's not what I was commenting on.

Should the Canucks try and trade him, they likely won't get a ton back either. Which has nothing to do with how great a top pairing defensemen he is.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Markstrom is going to be 31 in a couple of months. Why are people bemoaning the Canucks not having signed him to such a huge ticket? Giving goaltenders term is almost NEVER a good idea, which is why the Holtby contract could be great for Vancouver (pending some work with Ian Clark). Demko could also be the better goaltender within 1-2 years, anyway.

On the other hand, Toffoli and Stetcher are replaceable through a combination of internal improvement (players like Gaudette, MacEwan and Virtanen are primed to take another step, insert Hoglander, etc.) and/or affordable UFA signings.

Couple that with the fact that Benning brought in a first-pairing defenseman and you can color me confused that people are still trying to claim this off-season was a failure or even "okay".

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Markstrom is going to be 31 in a couple of months. Why are people bemoaning the Canucks not having signed him to such a huge ticket? Giving goaltenders term is almost NEVER a good idea, which is why the Holtby contract could be great for Vancouver (pending some work with Ian Clark).

On the other hand, Toffoli and Stetcher are replaceable through a combination of internal improvement (players like Gaudette, MacEwan and Virtanen are primed to take another step, insert Hoglander, etc.) and/or affordable UFA signings.

Couple that with the fact that Benning brought in a first-pairing defenseman and you can color me confused that people are still trying to claim this off-season was a failure or even "okay".

Plus, in a shortened season, the advantage of a #1G that can play 60+ games is negated.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
It's sort of irritating that you're holding on to this enlightened attitude despite nearly everyone on the board unanimously agreeing Schmidt is a considerable upgrade.

Honestly you should just be happy that you're wrong because the Canucks made a huge acquisition on the blue line.

Honestly, I feel like you cannot understand the statement I'm arguing:

Schmidt is great. Good player. Amazing trade.

Schmidt is not a "MASSIVE UPGRADE" on Tanev. He's an upgrade. Not by that much.

I'm am not enlightened, but I have watched a ton of Knights games. People are absolutely holding Schmidt to this higher opinion, while knocking Tanev, simply because he's out the door.

You want to talk about irritating; how about having a conversation with 30 people that have watched less than 20 games of a player yet all being experts about him.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
For some people having a dig at management is more important than anything else.

If you think that this the motive for holding an argument, it's speaks more to the type of person you are, then they are; how and why you hold a point.

This isn't a dig at Benning whatsoever. I could choose one of the fifty other f***-ups opposed to the rare good thing he's done. It's a dig at every instantly-bias Canuck's fan.

Jul 6, 2016
I still dont get it how they only got a 3rd....

Me too. VGK was trapped over the cap and had to make a desperate move. They were able to unload Statsny but not Pacioretty who refused to lift his no trade clause.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
This is a move I wanted from Benning.

It turned out better then I was hoping for, too.

People are not liking this for Vancouver? This could be the most lopsided trade, in our favor, in our franchises history.

Is there really people not liking this trade? Look at my username. I'm no where near a Benning supporter but this was absolute robbery. Terrific move.

That's not to say part of me doesn't think he's not going to follow up the terrific move with an equally terrible franchise crippling move, but for now let's give credit where it's due.

Awesome trade.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
If you think that this the motive for holding an argument, it's speaks more to the type of person you are, then they are; how and why you hold a point.

This isn't a dig at Benning whatsoever. I could choose one of the fifty other f***-ups opposed to the rare good thing he's done. It's a dig at every instantly-bias Canuck's fan.

I've been around here long enough to know exactly what you're like, so please don't give me the "it says more about you" speech. Cheers.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
He is not a "massive upgrade". Schmidt isn't exactly the pinnacle of health either.

Dude... Tanev is not a dynamic dman. What do you think the style of this team is? Canucks need high end puck moving d in their top 4. Tanev is not that.... sure he gets his odd OT winning goal once in a blue moon but jesus.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
They have beagle, roussel, eriksson, Baertschi, and Ferland wasting $20m in cap space. I could go on but I won’t.

They get a good top 4 dman for nothing but their still capped out with their 2 best players on ELC’s.

With a good manager the Schmidt deal is an addition to their core. Not a replacement of 4 players they just couldn’t afford.

The Canucks are put together very sloppily and it’s very frustrating because you could see the past moves and how they’d impact the teams future and it’s playing out just how many expected.

Good young talent. A bunch of crap. It’s not reallly much different than the Oilers or Sabres of recent years.
This has been a depressing trade for Benning haters. Don't you agree?

Reactions: Strangelove

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad