Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick - Part II

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Canucks will have over 30 million in cap space next season with two ELC players entering the lineup.

The amount of panic and lack of logic you have is astounding.
They’ll have $27 mil if they re-sign NONE of Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Edler, Pearson, Virtanen, Gaudette, etc. Of course, they’d be insane to do that, in reality they’ll re-sign most of those guys, and have roughly zero cap space.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They’ll have $27 mil if they re-sign NONE of Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Edler, Pearson, Virtanen, Gaudette, etc. Of course, they’d be insane to do that, in reality they’ll re-sign most of those guys, and have roughly zero cap space.
Schmidt for a 2022 third was a steal. Edler comes off the books after this season, but that still leaves Myers at 6, Schmidt at 6, and Hughes (likely?) at 8. That’s 20 million on three D. Looks like the other D will all be of the 1 million dollar variety.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Lol what else does the guy have to do to get your approval.

Draft a Franchise C- check
Draft a Franchise D- check
Draft Elite Winger- check

Draft Calder Finalist/Winner 3 years in a row- Check

JT Miller for 20th pick- 71 st pick and AHL goalie- check

Nate Schmidt for 3rd round pick- check

Tanner Pearson for Erik Gufbranson - check

Tyler Motte for Thomas Vanek- check

The grass isny always greener. If your biggest complaint about Bening is him over-paying for botttom 6 players and free agents well then Canucks are sitting pretty. Every team has over-paid bums but not everyteam has the foundational pieces the Canucks do at the age that the core is.

Even when Schmidt was interviewed today he said he buzz in the bubble was the young Canucks and the style of hockey they play and their bright future.
I’m not directly a Nucks fan, but I live in Vancouver, and they’re one of my favourite non-Leafs teams. I’d say most fans really like Benning for his drafting, trades and RFA re-signing, but hate his UFA signings. Some of the terrible UFA deals he’s handed out:
  • Roussel, $3 mil AAV, 4 years
  • Beagle, $3 mil AAV, 4 years
  • Ferland, $3.5 mil AAV, 4 years
  • Sutter, $4.75 mil AAV, 5 years
  • Myers, $6 mil AAV, 5 years
  • Eriksson, $6 mil AAV, 6 years
He’s done great outside of UFA signings, but I think it’s fair to consider his UFA signings literally the worst in the league since he took over as Nucks GM. And that does matter a lot in a cap world.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Schmidt for a 2022 third was a steal. Edler comes off the books after this season, but that still leaves Myers at 6, Schmidt at 6, and Hughes (likely?) at 8. That’s 20 million on three D. Looks like the other D will all be of the 1 million dollar variety.
Oh yeah, the Schmidt trade was incredible. Edler was their #1 dman last year, and is still quite good, I think they’ll want to bring him back. Their only bad contract on D is Myers - he’s super mediocre, very overpaid at $6 mil, but the other deals are fine. It’s on forward where they have a tonne of bad contracts.

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
I’m not directly a Nucks fan, but I live in Vancouver, and they’re one of my favourite non-Leafs teams. I’d say most fans really like Benning for his drafting, trades and RFA re-signing, but hate his UFA signings. Some of the terrible UFA deals he’s handed out:
He’s done great outside of UFA signings, but I think it’s fair to consider his UFA signings literally the worst in the league. And that does matter a lot in a cap world.

Yea, this is pretty much it. Instead of overpaying for bad UFA's, he could have weaponized the Canucks massive amount of cap space to take bad contracts in exchange for picks, but instead he signed some of the worst UFA contracts in the league, the cap hit largely didn't matter the last 5 years but because he insisted on giving term in addition, it's had a pretty poor affect on the team.

Edit: Benning also let a lot of the team's vets go in his first year, especially guys like Richardson and Matthias who would have been great in the Canucks bottom 6 and instead expected McCann and Virtanen to crack the opening day lineup, which they only did because they were gifted spots, both were very mediocre in their first year.

Benning also traded Jason Garrison for a 2nd, which was then traded for Linden Vey, Bieksa for a 2nd, then turned around and traded McCann, a 2nd, and a 4th for Gudbranson, and then let Hamhuis walk away for nothing after refusing to trade him at the deadline.

His management of the team's defense has been... suspect at best, and a horrifying waste of assets at worst.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Oh yeah, the Schmidt trade was incredible. Edler was their #1 dman last year, and is still quite good, I think they’ll want to bring him back. Their only bad contract on D is Myers - he’s super mediocre, very overpaid at $6 mil, but the other deals are fine. It’s on forward where they have a tonne of bad contracts.
It’s in the press box, and the minors where most of those bad contracts exist. :laugh:
Benning getting Schmidt was good, but Benning signing UFAs is bad.

Reactions: ponder

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I fully expect Edler will return on a very team-friendly deal, so long as he continues to perform to the extent he can provide value in the Top 6.

Reactions: THE Green Man

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

Edler is gone, Pearson is gone.

Pettersson and Hughes aren't going to take 12 million in cap space each. Podkolzin and Hoglander will be in the line-up on ELCs. I know you want to try really hard to push this narrative that Canucks are in cap trouble, but reality is, next year they're going to have a clean cap structure. They're a cap team that will spend up to the cap regardless.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

Have you looked at other teams cap structures? It's actually normal to have multiple defenceman in that salary range.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I fully expect Edler will return on a very team-friendly deal, so long as he continues to perform to the extent he can provide value in the Top 6.

Unless his play completely falls off a cliff a "team-friendly deal" would be something like $6-8M over two years... and there probably isn't room even for that.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Pettersson and Hughes aren't going to take 12 million in cap space each. Podkolzin and Hoglander will be in the line-up on ELCs. I know you want to try really hard to push this narrative that Canucks are in cap trouble, but reality is, next year they're going to have a clean cap structure. They're a cap team that will spend up to the cap regardless.
Edler lead the team in ice time in both the regular season and playoffs, he was the team’s #1 dman last year, and will likely continue to be a top-3 dman on the team this year. Pearson has been a quality winger for them. I think the Nucks would like to bring both back, if they can.

Pettersson, Hughes and Demko will probably require close to $20 mil combined. That’d leave ~$7 mil combined for Edler, Pearson and others. They’re going to be very cap constrained next year too, unless they can dump some of the dead weight contracts.

I like the team, I think they’re a quality playoff team for the foreseeable future. But you’re acting like there are no cap issues next year, and thus moves like buying out Sutter now are fine, when this is so clearly not the case.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Edler lead the team in ice time in both the regular season and playoffs, he was the team’s #1 dman last year, and will likely continue to be a top-3 dman on the team this year. Pearson has been a quality winger for them. I think the Nucks would like to bring both back, if they can.

Pettersson, Hughes and Demko will probably require close to $20 mil combined. That’d leave ~$7 mil combined for Edler, Pearson and others. They’re going to be very cap constrained next year too, unless they can dump some of the dead weight contracts.

I like the team, I think they’re a quality playoff team for the foreseeable future. But you’re acting like there are no cap issues next year, and thus moves like buying out Sutter now are fine, when this is so clearly not the case.

Most of us are thinking Hughes pettersson will have pay days coming, most of us totally forgot about demkos pay day.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I argue Mangiapane took a discount. He was overlooked in his draft year and drafted in the 6th round the following year and basically unheralded/unknown. Gaudette won the Hobey Baker.

I think Gaudette gets $2M for a one year "show me" deal and $2.5M/yr for a two year deal and suspect the Canucks prefer the latter.

Virtanen is closer to Kassian/Ferland/Nino/JoshAnderson/Greenway... where he gets an extra $500K or $1M for his "grit" so $3M/yr is my minimum.

You didn't watch much of Gaudette or the Canucks, did you?

If he gets over 1.5 I'd be surprised. He was the 13th-14th forward on a meh team.

Their past successes or failures or draft position has zero bearing on his current contract. Benning is an idiot, but even he would laugh that off in any negotiation.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

It's not a bloody "narrative". It's reality.

Don't frame it like it's his wild conception. The team has half a dozen players who are woefully overpaid, and good players leaving because of it. That is the definition of "cap trouble".

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
He’s done great outside of UFA signings, but I think it’s fair to consider his UFA signings literally the worst in the league since he took over as Nucks GM. And that does matter a lot in a cap world.

He's rightly polarizing because he's made a significant amount of horrible moves mixed with some great ones. Where you fall is based on how terrible you think the bad ones are and how great you think the good ones are. There's not a whole lot of in between.

The guy is a one step forward two steps back kind of gm to me.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
He's rightly polarizing because he's made a significant amount of horrible moves mixed with some great ones. Where you fall is based on how terrible you think the bad ones are and how great you think the good ones are. There's not a whole lot of in between.

The guy is a one step forward two steps back kind of gm to me.

I think it's because the bad ones have been flagrant and the good ones have been risky.

Gudbranson and Sutter ? Objectively terrible just looking into their stats, before they even stepped onto the ice.

Arguably his best move: JT Miller trade. Not sure how it could have been seen JT would have had this level of success. (If we knew what information granted Benning with the foresight, I would happily give him credit.)

Drafting ? He's picked the guys I've wanted 2/6 times. Pettersson and Hughes. Hard to give him too much credit for doing what was expected?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think it's because the bad ones have been flagrant and the good ones have been risky

In trades he’s made some awful and good ones. Good ones are more recent such as the toffoli and motte trades. Jt miller was an awesome trade and the Schmidt trade.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Unless his play completely falls off a cliff a "team-friendly deal" would be something like $6-8M over two years... and there probably isn't room even for that.
He is old a team friendly deal would probably be like 3mill

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Lol what else does the guy have to do to get your approval.

Draft a Franchise C- check
Draft a Franchise D- check
Draft Elite Winger- check

Draft Calder Finalist/Winner 3 years in a row- Check

JT Miller for 20th pick- 71 st pick and AHL goalie- check

Nate Schmidt for 3rd round pick- check

Tanner Pearson for Erik Gufbranson - check

Tyler Motte for Thomas Vanek- check

The grass isny always greener. If your biggest complaint about Bening is him over-paying for botttom 6 players and free agents well then Canucks are sitting pretty. Every team has over-paid bums but not everyteam has the foundational pieces the Canucks do at the age that the core is.

Even when Schmidt was interviewed today he said he buzz in the bubble was the young Canucks and the style of hockey they play and their bright future.

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I simply mentioned that this trade was a gift from VGK, and wouldn’t significantly change my opinion of Benning. I don’t think I actually gave my opinion of Benning though.

Personally I think Benning is an above average-to-good GM. He has his strengths and weaknesses (eg Maybe a B- or a C+).

His vision for his Canucks and building them up is very good (draft picks, roster personnel and play style, culture).

Trades have been mixed, some good some bad. Has given up a lot of a picks for a team that was rebuilding for that many years.

Contracts and cap management have been particularly weak, and has been the main criticism over the past year and offseason. Paying the amount of money they are for bottom line players (Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Ferland, Roussel), to the extent you cannot retain key players or acquire upgrades is unacceptable.

After this offseason and the departures I don’t think the Canucks will suddenly become a bottom 3 team again, but barring another big leap in Pettersson/Hughes development its hard to see how they’ll be better team.

Considering the year and playoffs they had management should have been in a position to build on that, bolster the roster to make strides as a legit playoff contender rather than what likely will be a bubble team again.

Benning has built a contending core, but remains to be seen if he is the GM that can take them to the next level an build a champion caliber team.

Based on their key players over the next 3-5 years, Vancouver should be in a position to be right up there with Colorado as the class of the West. Ask anyone who you’d rather have at the helm, I think it would be Sakic by a landslide.

Over the long run there is a difference between good and great teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawrence

landeskog11

Jan 14, 2012
what i don't understand is couldn't they get something better for him they could've waited for a good trade? absolute steal

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I argue Mangiapane took a discount. He was overlooked in his draft year and drafted in the 6th round the following year and basically unheralded/unknown. Gaudette won the Hobey Baker.

I think Gaudette gets $2M for a one year "show me" deal and $2.5M/yr for a two year deal and suspect the Canucks prefer the latter.

Virtanen is closer to Kassian/Ferland/Nino/JoshAnderson/Greenway... where he gets an extra $500K or $1M for his "grit" so $3M/yr is my minimum.
This aged well. Told you gaudette’s benning special max on a multi year deal is 2M. Signed a 1 yr 950k deal. Which is in line with me thinking realistically he’d get 1.5-1.75 per for 2 years.

next up virtanen he either gets a 1 yr 2.25M max or multi yr at 2.5M max. Realistically he gets 2.25M on a 2-3 yr deal

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->