Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick - Part II

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011
Canucks will have over 30 million in cap space next season with two ELC players entering the lineup.

The amount of panic and lack of logic you have is astounding.

You have a new hole at D next year and new contracts for hughes, demko and petey, that $30 M will go fast. Unless we remain in Covid contracts most estimate $20M on Petey and hughes alone. That leaves $10M to fill the hole left by Edler and likely still trying to find a top 4 so Myers can be the #5. As well as signing our future #1 in demko who if has a good year will want to be paid.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This aged well. Told you gaudette’s benning special max on a multi year deal is 2M. Signed a 1 yr 950k deal. Which is in line with me thinking realistically he’d get 1.5-1.75 per for 2 years.

next up virtanen he either gets a 1 yr 2.25M max or multi yr at 2.5M max. Realistically he gets 2.25M on a 2-3 yr deal

I'll admit I was wrong about Gaudette but I didn't know he was just a 13th-14th forward.

Virtanen will want a 1 year deal. Players want a bigger pay day later and GMs don't want cap commitments beyond this year.

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011
I'll admit I was wrong about Gaudette but I didn't know he was just a 13th-14th forward.

Virtanen will want a 1 year deal. Players want a bigger pay day later and GMs don't want cap commitments beyond this year.

Gaudette needs to be more than a 13/14th forward but he's still working on his defensive game and building up trust with Green. The 3rd and 4th lines are basically devoid of offense when Gaudette isn't playing.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I’m not directly a Nucks fan, but I live in Vancouver, and they’re one of my favourite non-Leafs teams. I’d say most fans really like Benning for his drafting, trades and RFA re-signing, but hate his UFA signings. Some of the terrible UFA deals he’s handed out:
  • Roussel, $3 mil AAV, 4 years
  • Beagle, $3 mil AAV, 4 years
  • Ferland, $3.5 mil AAV, 4 years
  • Sutter, $4.75 mil AAV, 5 years
  • Myers, $6 mil AAV, 5 years
  • Eriksson, $6 mil AAV, 6 years
He’s done great outside of UFA signings, but I think it’s fair to consider his UFA signings literally the worst in the league since he took over as Nucks GM. And that does matter a lot in a cap world.
Nothing wrong with the Myers signing, the others, yes.

But they are 'historical', he's been getting better as time has gone on.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Nothing wrong with the Myers signing, the others, yes.

But they are 'historical', he's been getting better as time has gone on.
Last year, on a Nucks team with a weak-ish D, Myers was 3rd among Nucks dmen in TOI/G in the regular season, and 4th in the playoffs. The year before, on a Jets team with stronger D, he was 4th in the regular season, 5th in the playoffs.

He’s a mediocre 4D. Not particularly good offensively, defensively, or in transition. Fairly weak advanced stats most years. $6 mil AAV for 5 years is a pretty bad signing for that, IMO. Not that he’s useless or anything, just that he’s a mediocre 4D getting paid like a quality top pairing D. I think he’d have significant negative trade value, on that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->