Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick - Part II

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I am really disappointed the Bruins couldn’t best that. LHD is their biggest need. Here is a guy who plays 22 minutes a night for one of the top contender and he goes for a 3rd round pick. Or were the Bruins on his 10-team no trade list? Maybe Schmidt was upset they want to trade him and put all the teams he thought might want him on the list (and forgot Van)?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
two-way contracts wouldn't effect that at all. They just mean the player has a different salary while in the AHL
@uncleben
Two way contracts in the AHL count differently towards the cap than one way contracts in the AHL.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
@uncleben
Two way contracts in the AHL count differently towards the cap than one way contracts in the AHL.
no if the contract is only part of a contract affect cap in the ahl and it has nothing to do with being two or one way

Does vancouver have to trade virtanen now ? or cap dump themselves

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Vegas has no plan whatsoever. They are just chasing it tails. I bet they will also trade Fleury, and they will have to sacrifice a 2nd plus a 3rd to do so.
Think a 1st + 2nd is what will have to be added to move him out in his entirety. Flower has negative value in a flat cap. Literally no team wants to pay $7M for 1b solution in net. I guess with this Schmidt trade they can retain on Fleury and give up less? It's tough though because I just looked over teams cap situations on CapFriendly and there is no more than 8 teams who are even in a position cap wise to take him on, let alone in terms any internal salary cap. That number becomes much lower when you consider that the teams that could take on Flower are all pretty bad and/or are pretty set in net.

The best I could do as a Detroit fan would be something along the lines of:
MAF+1st+filler for Bernier. It clears $4M in cap this year, giving Vegas about $2M of cap room to work with, provides them a quality backup (Bernier is coming off a fantastic season) and saves them $7M in cap next year to retool as needed. Detroit gets an expensive but capable player to pair with Greiss and a much needed 1st.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
@uncleben
The only time a contract in the AHL counts against the cap is if it is above $1,075,000 (that's this year's number; in any given season it is calculated as league minimum + $375,000)

(one-way/two-way contracts also play into season opening injured reserve, but that's rare and kinda technical, and otherwise don't have any real effect on the cap)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
no if the contract is only part of a contract affect cap in the ahl and it has nothing to do with being two or one way

Does vancouver have to trade virtanen now ? or cap dump themselves
So players on two way contracts in the NHL have their NHL salary counted against the cap while they're making their AHL salary?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad